Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Is it even a cast? Or is it something to keep water from getting on his arm? When I broke my wrist I had to wrap it in a garbage bag when I was showering to keep it dry.

The sunglasses are in a weird spot.

Assen na yo!

Based on my experience, garbage bags don't work very well to keep the water out. :)

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
That cast is holding his wrist is extension, which is likely protecting some tendons that were worked on.

Even he re-fractured his distal forearm (was it fractured?) they wouldn’t keep his wrist in extension to hold an alignment after the bone has started to heal.

Of course, it could be a weird photo illusion…

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
This kid is going to be our Duncan Keith.
I want to keep my expectations realistic but its fun to join the hype. Keith lead the Hawks in ice time as a rookie on a d core consisting of Seabrook, Spacek, Aucoin, Byfuglien, Vandermeer, Wiesnewski. Loads of good vet experience, fellow young guys, and some depth defenders. Sure they were second last in their conference, but there was a good mix of defenders there.

I'm hoping Sanderson starts off on the third pairing and is a regular on the 2nd being able to play 20 minutes a night towards the end of the season. Chabot and Zub will eat loads of minutes, and there's enough young guys (Brann/JBD/Thomson) and some vets (Holden/Hamonic) that he can compete with

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This kid is going to be our Duncan Keith.
If Sanderson's ceiling is prime Duncan Keith we are set.. Assuming we don't have Josh Brown or Zaitsev types partnering him and Chabot. Sanderson has the wheels to cover the ice like Keith.
Seabrook was pretty good back in the Hawks hay day. They also had Hjalmarsson, Nick Leddy and Oduya (who could play then)

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I watched a lot of UND games when they were in their run a year ago. He looked like Karlsson at times with his skating and confidence with the puck.

I think a lot of people who are still expecting his draft day profile are going to be shocked when this kid arrives.

To me, he looks way better and way more poised than Chabot did at the same stage, even taking into account Chabot's big showing at his World Juniors.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I can't think of a player comparable for this guy. The rest are pretty easy but Sanderson seems pretty unique. Who are some NHL D men that can skate the whole game and play high level shut down while chipping in offensively?

Meiro Heiskanen is one of the few guys that I think of when I see a future Jake Sanderson. Is that just wishful thinking? I dunno.

Reactions: Frank8

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I can't think of a player comparable for this guy. The rest are pretty easy but Sanderson seems pretty unique. Who are some NHL D men that can skate the whole game and play high level shut down while chipping in offensively?

Meiro Heiskanen is one of the few guys that I think of when I see a future Jake Sanderson. Is that just wishful thinking? I dunno.
I was going to say Heiskanan or Spurgeon. Those two are so elite due to their positioning and skating alone, the rest is just icing on the cake.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
110 gp in the last 3 years. That's 110 since he played as a 16 year old. A full season in the NHL is going to be tough on this kid.
Doubt it. Others have done it. Who do you want to compare him to? Guy is a horse. Anything’s possible though sure.

Heiskanen can be a giveaway machine. Jake shouldn’t have that issue.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

Call me crazy but a less physical Brent Burns is what I see flashes of.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

A lil crazy.

Burns was 6 ft 5 beast of pure athleticism and skill with okay hockey iq. He played like he had ADD.

Sanderson is a lot more methodical and structured in his defensive and offensive approach.
We’re getting a 6th dman who is going to need sheltered minutes to develop in the nhl and probably sees time in the AHL.

I’m hoping for 40+ NHL games next season.

Sanderson is going to be our 3rd or 4th best defenceman next year. He's an elite skater with big brains and will outplay a lot of NHLers.

Will probably need 10-15 games to acclimate but If DJ and Dorion play crap in front of him we'll be eliminated from the playoffs in the 1st month again.

He's good enough to play 82 games.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
110 gp in the last 3 years. That's 110 since he played as a 16 year old. A full season in the NHL is going to be tough on this kid.

Yes, the first year is going to be tough on him. It almost always is for college kids. Doubly so as a defenseman learning the NHL game. His rookie season is going to have some noticeable bumps.

But he'll get through it. Kid is going to be a good one for us for a long time.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

That's a new one to me. LOL. I'd be OK with that but I don't see it.

Burns is incredibly unreliable defensively; I think Sanderson will end up being a stalwart in that department.

Burns thrived on creativity and free flowing hockey; Sanderson will play a structured game and use his smarts to create some timely offense but won't be the constant threat that a prime Burns was.

As for physicality I think Sanderson will provide about the same amount as Burns but I think it'll be used more effectively.

But maybe I'm just missing something. Either way I'd be thrilled with a prime Burns if that's how it plays out.

As for my own comparison the best I can come up with is a prime Ryan Suter, in terms of style at least.

Reactions: Boud and Cosmix

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
A lil crazy.

Burns was 6 ft 5 beast of pure athleticism and skill with okay hockey iq. He played like he had ADD.

Sanderson is a lot more methodical and structured in his defensive and offensive approach.

Sanderson is going to be our 3rd or 4th best defenceman next year. He's an elite skater with big brains and will outplay a lot of NHLers.

Will probably need 10-15 games to acclimate but If DJ and Dorion play crap in front of him we'll be eliminated from the playoffs in the 1st month again.

He's good enough to play 82 games.

Hope so … I’d be shocked if he was more effective than Brann per XMAS. Not an insult … just caution.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, the first year is going to be tough on him. It almost always is for college kids. Doubly so as a defenseman learning the NHL game. His rookie season is going to have some noticeable bumps.

I'm curious about that...

Last few years of high pick college D debuts;

2012: Trouba (19 yrs old) 65 GP, 29 pts, 22:26 TOI
2015: Hannifin (19) 79 GP, 22 pts, 17:54
Werenski (19) 78 GP, 47 pts, 20:55
2016: McAvoy (20) 63 GP, 32 pts, 22:09
2017: Makar (21) 57 GP, 50 pts, 21:01
2019: York (21) 30 GP, 10 pts, 19:05
2020: Sanderson (20) ???

HM to Fox, who wasn't a high pick, but:
2017: Fox (21) 70 GP, 42 pts, 18:54

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

He just need a good reliable partner and he'll be fine imo. There are lots of examples of kids coming out of college and succeeding. Every player is different but I believe in Sanderson. Smart. Great skater. Good puck skills. His only hurdle is strength but I think is smarts with his skating will make that hurdle smaller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad