Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Holden is the most consistently solid from what I have seen. Hamonic was on a much smaller sample size. Zaitsev could potentially be a catastrophe for Sandersons development.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a 3rd pair to start with Zaitsev

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Holden is the most consistently solid from what I have seen. Hamonic was on a much smaller sample size. Zaitsev could potentially be a catastrophe for Sandersons development.
I agree with your assessment but I think Holden & Hamonic are both viable, given what we have. Hamonic might be rougher at the outset, but once Sanderson settles in I think that has the ability to be a better pairing than Sanderson - Holden.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Holden really slowed down in the season. He's good in a bottom pairing role who doesn't play every night

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a 3rd pair to start with Zaitsev
I would. Id be absolutely shocked. Worst case scenario possible. He'd be better off with Thomson or JBD.
I agree with your assessment but I think Holden & Hamonic are both viable, given what we have. Hamonic might be rougher at the outset, but once Sanderson settles in I think that has the ability to be a better pairing than Sanderson - Holden.
I think just a calming influence will be the most important part for Sanderson. I really wish they were starting Zub with him.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Wasn’t Hamonic playing with Hughes in Vancouver?

I think the 700+ game character D man should be a fine partner for the star potential rookie.

If his game has fallen off a cliff, sure, but the guy who played in the NHL last season would be fine.

Holden has a lot of the elements to be a good partner as well, though it’s his off side, and he also can’t have lost a step.

I like having Hamonic and Holden on the team as solid vets. Will be good for Branstrom and Sanderson.

Branstrom/Holden
Sanderson/Hamonic

I think that’s a good bottom 4 split, especially with an awesome Chabot/Zub pairing to lead off.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I would. Id be absolutely shocked. Worst case scenario possible. He'd be better off with Thomson or JBD.

I think just a calming influence will be the most important part for Sanderson. I really wish they were starting Zub with him.
Hey, they might. Preseason is a lot of hockey.

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I won't be surprised to see him with JBD or Thomson either.

My thought has more to do with continued progression in Brannstrom's game. If that delegates Sanderson to the 3rd pair, then who does he play with? Could be any one of the three we mentioned, or Holden playing his off side

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I won't be surprised to see him with JBD or Thomson either.

My thought has more to do with continued progression in Brannstrom's game. If that delegates Sanderson to the 3rd pair, then who does he play with? Could be any one of the three we mentioned, or Holden playing his off side
Holden seems to play his offside pretty well. I think he would be a good match for Brannstrom as they could set him up in the o zone on either side and it wouldnt bother Holden.

Ideally the season starts something like this.

Chabot Thomson/Hamonic
Sanderson Zub
Brannstrom/Holden/Hamonic

I think they will want a shut down pair and that would need to be Sanderson Zub in this scenario. But I dont think the coaching staff will trust a rookie in that role.

Reactions: Alex1234

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Sens have all that offence at forward, I assume they will want Chabot to join them & not have to worry about the defence as much. I think they put Chabot & Zub together so Zub can play the defensive side & they will figure out the other four spots with the guys remaining depending n their play.

Hamonic is still a decent defender & Sanderson is an excellent skater & can get the puck out of their end with his skating. The 3rd pairing will likely be a shutdown pairing & PK tandem which shouldn't include Brannstrom. As they approach the trade deadline I assume they will give plenty of games to JBD & Thomson to see who can replace the two UFAs Holden & Hamonic, if they get moved.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden - Zaitsev/Brannstrom

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Dudes pretty skinny - I’m worried how he’s going to play when he doesn’t have the puck or he’s under pressure.

Lots of excuses - but he’s yet to stand out at WJC or Olympics - hopefully he starts off well with the rookies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I think the 700+ game character D man should be a fine partner for the star potential rookie.

If his game has fallen off a cliff, sure, but the guy who played in the NHL last season would be fine.

Holden has a lot of the elements to be a good partner as well, though it’s his off side, and he also can’t have lost a step.

I like having Hamonic and Holden on the team as solid vets. Will be good for Branstrom and Sanderson.

Branstrom/Holden
Sanderson/Hamonic

I think that’s a good bottom 4 split, especially with an awesome Chabot/Zub pairing to lead off.

It's OK but I would prefer someone better than Holden and Hamonic playing in the 2nd pair D.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Assuming we're not going to give Brannstrom Chabot/Sanderson as partners, a pairing of Holden - Brannstrom just made and makes so much sense, in spite of DJ rarely pairing them together (38 minutes TOI together last season over 53 games where they both were dressed).

Their brief experience and chemistry as a pair in LVK, the fact that both can rover between LD/RD and each prefer one side which happens to be the opposite side, plus opposite handedness.

Play styles also complement well. What am I missing?

Reactions: SensFan1010

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Dudes pretty skinny - I’m worried how he’s going to play when he doesn’t have the puck or he’s under pressure.

Lots of excuses - but he’s yet to stand out at WJC or Olympics - hopefully he starts off well with the rookies.
He'll be more than fine. And I wouldn't say he didn't stand out at the WJC, he was a huge factor in the gold medal game that the US won.

Was kinda hard to stand out in the last WJC or Olympics because he barely played.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

Branstrom/Holden
Sanderson/Hamonic

This is exactly why I don't think our D is as bad as people are making it out. It will be passable for a playoff bound team (not Stanley Cup contender quality) because one of Holden or Hamonic will be just fine alongside Sando on the second pair.

People really sell Hamonic short around here. When healthy he is a top 4 D on a middle of the pack team.

Added to this is that our forward lineup is going to control possession against most teams while being good to very good in supporting the D. And then, you factor in that we are going to put up 4 goals a night on the back of a top 5 pp in the league and excellent depth...

This is a playoff team if you ask me and the only things that could get in the way of that is goaltending and a very tough Atlantic division.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Holden has played 19:35 a night across 589 games and is 35.

Hamonic has played 21:47 a night across 718 games and is 32.

Hamonic is 3 years younger, has averaged top 4 minutes to this point in his career and played a lot more games than Holden.

I think Hamonic will be fine in the 2rd role.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Holden has played 19:35 a night across 589 games and is 35.

Hamonic has played 21:47 a night across 718 games and is 32.

Hamonic is 3 years younger, has averaged top 4 minutes to this point in his career and played a lot more games than Holden.

I think Hamonic will be fine in the 2rd role.
Career totals don't mean much at this point. It's where they currently are at in their respective careers. Hamonic appears to have felt the wear and tear a little more. Perhaps play style or the extra minutes have worn on him... Who knows. I think both are candidates for spot duty in the top 4 but neither are full time solutions. They are both very ideal bottom pairing defenders. Lassi Thomson has some of the raw tools necessary but I don't think he is there yet. Hopefully that's how the season progresses. They start with Hamonic or Holden in the top 4 and Thomson ends up winning the job.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Career totals don't mean much at this point. It's where they currently are at in their respective careers. Hamonic appears to have felt the wear and tear a little more. Perhaps play style or the extra minutes have worn on him... Who knows. I think both are candidates for spot duty in the top 4 but neither are full time solutions. They are both very ideal bottom pairing defenders. Lassi Thomson has some of the raw tools necessary but I don't think he is there yet. Hopefully that's how the season progresses. They start with Hamonic or Holden in the top 4 and Thomson ends up winning the job.
I think the Hamonic acquisition was harshly criticized at the time. I think he's still got enough in the tank to get thru the year. But I agree with you on Thomson and hope he can elevate to a top 4 level

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think the Hamonic acquisition was harshly criticized at the time. I think he's still got enough in the tank to get thru the year. But I agree with you on Thomson and hope he can elevate to a top 4 level
Teams would be paying to get rid of that contract this summer so I dont think it was too harshly criticized. He hasnt been a top 4 d man for years. Vancouver is currently in a cap crunch, it makes even less sense now. But anyways he is here, I hope he plays well but I dont have very high expectations. Prefer Holdens game at this point he makes smarter decisions with the puck. Hope whoever plays better gets the icetime and its not simply given to anyone. Should be earned on the back end.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Teams would be paying to get rid of that contract this summer so I dont think it was too harshly criticized. He hasnt been a top 4 d man for years. Vancouver is currently in a cap crunch, it makes even less sense now. But anyways he is here, I hope he plays well but I dont have very high expectations. Prefer Holdens game at this point he makes smarter decisions with the puck. Hope whoever plays better gets the icetime and its not simply given to anyone. Should be earned on the back end.

I'm not sure about that.

In 18/19 he was 3rd in TOI amongst defenseman on Calgary (20+ minutes/night) and they finished 1st in the West with 107 points.

In 19/20 he was 2nd in TOI amongst defenseman on Calgary (20+ minutes/night) and they finished 8th in the West.

Things fell off a cliff when he got to Vancouver, but it's hard to gauge since the last two years have been such a mess (both for the Canucks franchise and with COVID + the bubble).

I think managers and coaches around the league have a higher perception of Hamonic than fans, since it wasn't long ago when he was viewed as a no-doubt top 4 guy.

I still think he could be a #4 on a bubble playoff team, which is what will be asked of him here.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure about that.

In 18/19 he was 3rd in TOI amongst defenseman on Calgary (20+ minutes/night) and they finished 1st in the West with 107 points.

In 19/20 he was 2nd in TOI amongst defenseman on Calgary (20+ minutes/night) and they finished 8th in the West.

Things fell off a cliff when he got to Vancouver, but it's hard to gauge since the last two years have been such a mess (both for the Canucks franchise and with COVID + the bubble).

I think managers and coaches around the league have a higher perception of Hamonic than fans, since it wasn't long ago when he was viewed as a no-doubt top 4 guy.

I still think he could be a #4 on a bubble playoff team, which is what will be asked of him here.
So 3 and 4 years ago.... If they had a higher perception why did he go through waivers. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt as I want him to succeed I want the team to succeed. However I am going to temper my expectations based on me watching him last year and his usage the past two seasons where he was a bottom pair guy. I think spot duty in the top 4 but I dont see the transition ability to play a regular role. Will be a very solid player in a depth role on the team.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'm not sure about that.

If he plays the way he did last year for us (small sample I know), then I'll be thrilled. I thought he played well.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So 3 and 4 years ago.... If they had a higher perception why did he go through waivers. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt as I want him to succeed I want the team to succeed. However I am going to temper my expectations based on me watching him last year and his usage the past two seasons where he was a bottom pair guy. I think spot duty in the top 4 but I dont see the transition ability to play a regular role. Will be a very solid player in a depth role on the team.
He went through waivers because he was ineligible to play games across the border as a result of refusing to get vaccinated. They didn't waive him because of his play, he skipped training camp for the same reason.

What team is going to claim a guy that can't play half the season and nobody knows if he'll ever be able to?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He went through waivers because he was ineligible to play games across the border as a result of refusing to get vaccinated. They didn't waive him because of his play, he skipped training camp for the same reason.

What team is going to claim a guy that can't play half the season and nobody knows if he'll ever be able to?
I believe it was after the covid restrictions were lifted but maybe I am wrong. Top 4 D men dont get traded for 3rd round picks either. Like I said, I like him as a depth guy (not at 3 million) and hopefully he can platoon in the top 4 until Thomson or JBD are ready. Problem is having 7.4 million tied up between him and Zaitsev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad