Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Im willing to bet our D will end up as :

Chabot - Hamonic
Sanderson - Zub
Brann/Holden - Zaitsev
Zub and Hamonic might be interchangeable in my eyes. I was really, really impressed with Hamonic last year and he appears really low maintenance as well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I believe it was after the covid restrictions were lifted but maybe I am wrong. Top 4 D men dont get traded for 3rd round picks either. Like I said, I like him as a depth guy (not at 3 million) and hopefully he can platoon in the top 4 until Thomson or JBD are ready. Problem is having 7.4 million tied up between him and Zaitsev.
At the time, the NHL had its own protocol which didn't allow him to play cross border games, and even if he could, Canada still required a 14 day quarantine for unvaccinated travellers upon return. It was pretty widely reported when he finally started the process of getting vaccinated and was rejoining the team.

I thought he still looked like a solid top 4 guy in Calgary, I suspect they opted to move on because he opted out of the bubble playoffs. When Vancouver picked him up they played him on their top pair with Hughes the first year before this past year where he missed training camp and probably rubbed a lot of his teammates the wrong way by refusing to vaccinate.

Well have to wait and see how he integrates here, I thought he looked ok last year and he was apparently playing injured. That's the biggest concern I have, he seems to be hurt a lot.

Reactions: bert

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
They definitely arent. Zub is a much better player its not close. Zub's a better skater, and his puck distribution is miles ahead.
Oh he's 5 times they player, but they don't need a Norris trophy winner, they just need a calm, experienced guy to not rush up and down the ice and leave Sanderson swinging in the wind.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So 3 and 4 years ago.... If they had a higher perception why did he go through waivers. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt as I want him to succeed I want the team to succeed. However I am going to temper my expectations based on me watching him last year and his usage the past two seasons where he was a bottom pair guy. I think spot duty in the top 4 but I dont see the transition ability to play a regular role. Will be a very solid player in a depth role on the team.
I believe he went thru waivers because he hadn't committed to playing during COVID. He was also hesitant to get vaxxed. I believe he has an immuno compromised child and without the knowledge then that we have now, was considering walking away from the game.

Reactions: bert

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I believe it was after the covid restrictions were lifted but maybe I am wrong. Top 4 D men dont get traded for 3rd round picks either. Like I said, I like him as a depth guy (not at 3 million) and hopefully he can platoon in the top 4 until Thomson or JBD are ready. Problem is having 7.4 million tied up between him and Zaitsev.

@Micklebot is right. He cleared waivers due to his vaccination status, and was also waffling on even playing that year due to the restrictions. This also, apparently, rubbed many of his teammates the wrong way and created an impetus for the Canucks to move him out.

By no means do I think he's a top-end top 4 guy anymore, but he's seemingly much happier to be here than he was in Vancouver. I think he's good enough to be a #4 on a playoff bubble team, which will be the case this season, but it all hinges on Sanderson being able to lead that pairing.

Hell, he'd pencil into the top 4 on both the Leafs and Panthers, and those teams are expected to make cup runs not just play "meaningful games". So while I'd love to improve on him, he's not as big a liability and our D is not as bad as some make it out to be.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I like that he doesn't feel playing the right side is a big deal for him.

Also, weird that TSN messed up the title, his hand felt 100% three weeks ago, not 1.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Listen to Pinto praise Sanderson.

Skates effortlessly, sneaky good shot and will surprise us all. (Pinto about Sanderson)

Pinto seems like that guy you want your daughter to come home with. So smooth with the reporters too, he'll have a career in broadcasting when he's done playing.

Adding Pinto and Sanderson this year is going to be as key as all the other acquisitions. What floors me is how good Pinto is from what he's already shown in the limited time we've seen him, and the fact that Sanderson was on another level from him at UND. Pinto was amazing there, but Sanderson was the guy you noticed every shift and went, "whoa!"

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Pinto seems like that guy you want your daughter to come home with. So smooth with the reporters too, he'll have a career in broadcasting when he's done playing.

Adding Pinto and Sanderson this year is going to be as key as all the other acquisitions. What floors me is how good Pinto is from what he's already shown in the limited time we've seen him, and the fact that Sanderson was on another level from him at UND. Pinto was amazing there, but Sanderson was the guy you noticed every shift and went, "whoa!"
I can't wait to see these guys come in battling for the Calder.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Unless something has changed he is, it's 25 career games or played 6 games in each of the last two seasons. Since he got hurt in game 5 he should still be eligible

Ah, for some reason I thought it was 6 games in one of the preceding two and that his 12 games from 2 years ago would disqualify him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Agreed, Sanderson, Pinto & Talbot IMO should really improve the team as the yr progresses & let's also not forget DeBrincat & Giroux. They just need to develop some chemistry & the youngsters need some experience. The weakness is clearly on defence which is on the GM to improve & they really need JBD & Lassie to take a big step this yr. They need to move on from Zaitsev & Brannstrom asap.

Reactions: Cosmix

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I think the top 4 spot is pretty safely his.

So much more confident in his abilities than a number of veteran players.
A lot of people were hesitant to play Sanderson in the top 4, and I get that rookie D can need time to adjust but Sanderson ain't your typical rookie.

He probably was an NHL caliber player last year but Dorion wisely let him stay at uni to develop more.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
It will take him time to learn the NHL game as Sanderson said himself the other day after the preseason game. It takes time to adjust to playing against men who are highly skilled and have played in the NHL for awhile. He said when asked about what was it like to face Marner on a one on one....he said I just didn't want to end up on a highlight reel. Be patient he will develop over time. He should develop into a hood solid dman.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
It will take him time to learn the NHL game as Sanderson said himself the other day after the preseason game. It takes time to adjust to playing against men who are highly skilled and have played in the NHL for awhile. He said when asked about what was it like to face Marner on a one on one....he said I just didn't want to end up on a highlight reel. Be patient he will develop over time. He should develop into a hood solid dman.
He was on a highlight real against Marner, but it was on the good side. If he hadn't recovered his edge after almost falling it would have been a bad one, but then he was able to show off his ability to recover and close!

Senovision

May 23, 2011
He was honest in his answers and he knows it will take time to get used to the NHL game. He is not rushing things and that is a good thing.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Travis Yost article:
"It was just one preseason game, but Sanderson looked sublime. We saw flashes of both elite-level skating and puck distribution, the hallmarks of a top-four defender in the modern era of hockey. It’s precisely what Ottawa needs to see more of, knowing they’re without any sort of established pairing behind the duo anchored by veteran Thomas Chabot right now."

article: Rookie Sanderson could boost Sens blueline - TSN.ca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad