Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Darren Dreger said on TSN 1200 temper your expectations with Sanderson. He said he will have challenges this year and he will not be rushed. He has to play his way into becoming an NHL dman.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Darren Dreger said on TSN 1200 temper your expectations with Sanderson. He said he will have challenges this year and he will not be rushed. He has to play his way into becoming an NHL dman.
Absolutely, he'll come in next season as a game changer.

He'll show promise and glimpses this season, and will take a regular shift, but won't be a difference maker from day 1.

Would love a Werenski/Seider type impact, but am not expecting it.

MJKW

Feb 8, 2016
Dreger should stick to reporting trade rumours. He's known for reporting talk around the league, not as an on ice hockey expert.

Thought Sanderson looked good Saturday. He had a few miscues that every defensemen in the NHL makes, key will be to limit those. He also made a handful of plays that Not every defensemen in the NHL can make. I think the learning curve for this kid will be pretty quick. I think he'll adapt fairly quickly on a game to game basis and be a difference maker pretty quick.

Reactions: DJB and R We A Team

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

He'll show promise and glimpses this season, and will take a regular shift, but won't be a difference maker from day 1.

I expect Sanderson to be a game changer for us just due to the options he pushes down the lineup. I think he will look like a star sometimes and at other times he will look like he needs a stint in the AHL, but I believe the good will far outweigh the bad.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Sanderson is arguably best prospect in all of hockey.

If Hamonic holds, I am expecting contribution similar to that of a number 3 D by Sanderson this year, at minimum (Essentially Zub). Which would give us a playoff worthy top 4.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
A Sanderson - Zub combination makes sense. Protect the asset with one of the best. Chabot is going to carry the 1st pairing.
Interesting how to use the numbers to set up the parings: 1-4, 2-3, 5-6 by example. Deciding who is 4 is interesting. 1 is Chabot no question, 2-3 are Zub & Sanderson.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I like & prefer Sanderson to play with Hamonic this ys in case anyone takes liberties with him Hamonic will not hesitate to drop them & go after the guy. IMO they have a star in the making in Sanderson who skates like Chabot effortlessly & should at some point in future be able to play big minutes. JBD could be ready as soon as this yr at some point or next season to be his partner. JBD plays a very solid defensive game to complement Sanderson's offensive style. I look forward tosee these two paired up some day. Kleven & Thomson would also be an interesting pair next yr.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sanderson will probably be able to provide 2nd pairing quality play in his rookie season.

Karlsson and Chabot were top 4 quality D by the end of their first seasons, I don't expect Sanderson to be any different. If anything he's more ready than they were given his advanced defensive game relative to them.

Numbers might not be as good, but if he ends up quarterbacking the 2nd PP unit he could probably put up 30-40P. The #2 PP should be a lot stronger this year with two of Stutzle/Giroux/Batherson/Norris likely playing on either side of him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think he'll take more time for the offense to translate than with Werenski or Sieder but as his confidence grows he'll open up.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think he'll take more time for the offense to translate than with Werenski or Sieder but as his confidence grows he'll open up.
He won’t get the PP time Seider got as a rookie. Seider had by far the most PP time amongst Detroit D and got 21 of his 50 points on the PP.

If Sanderson is 75% of what Seider was as a rookie our top 4 looks solid.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I put a small but down on Sanderson colder, seriously good odds, why not? But I’ll be happy with a solid outing this year.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Every rookie defenseman has to adjust his feet and mind to the speed of the NHL game. It doesn't happen overnight.

Sanderson is going to be amazing for us, but his rookie season will have some ups and downs. We really have to hold back and not set him up with crazy expectations this season. Let the kid get his feet wet this year and learn.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What's great about Sanderson is his effortless skating, he can keep up to the NHL game easy enough like Chabot. The next thing is his hockey IQ & vision on the ice, he has the ability to make the right play at the right time & is always looking to move the puck up ice. While he needs to put on more muscle he has decent size & already plays a very good defensive game. I think the offence will come along slowly as the season progresses, IMO he is going to be a star in this league.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
A lot of people were hesitant to play Sanderson in the top 4, and I get that rookie D can need time to adjust but Sanderson ain't your typical rookie.

He probably was an NHL caliber player last year but Dorion wisely let him stay at uni to develop more.
Maturation from a teenager into a man is what Sanderson needs to become a top D man. For 2022-23 he will mature and get more experience playing against NHL level men. In a year or two he could become a top 2 D man.

What's great about Sanderson is his effortless skating, he can keep up to the NHL game easy enough like Chabot. The next thing is his hockey IQ & vision on the ice, he has the ability to make the right play at the right time & is always looking to move the puck up ice. While he needs to put on more muscle he has decent size & already plays a very good defensive game. I think the offence will come along slowly as the season progresses, IMO he is going to be a star in this league.
Agreed.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Pierre should tell him that, and tell him if he doesn't win it, he will be sent to Belville for the entire next season. See how responds to pressure. Also, threaten to bust his left knee cap. Sopranos style.
Knee caps are overrated.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Kid can play.

My only concern is that he’s used to an NCAA schedule. Can he play 70+ games this season? I hope DI and PD have a plan to give him some rest time.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's a freak athlete and a gym rat, I don't think it will be too much of an issue tbh.
Still different from a mental standpoint. Being consistent over 82 games is really tough. Heck even Chabot struggles with it. I think everyone needs to be patient with the player for now. He has some great raw tools, but he needs reps. I hope they don't put too much on him and let the game come to him. For now Brannstrom should be the other PP d man. Just let him play with Hamonic, get him on the PK. Let him develop some confidence with the puck. Once that comes and he is making quicker decisions then give him some reps in an offensive role.

Reactions: Flamingo

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Still different from a mental standpoint. Being consistent over 82 games is really tough. Heck even Chabot struggles with it. I think everyone needs to be patient with the player for now. He has some great raw tools, but he needs reps. I hope they don't put too much on him and let the game come to him. For now Brannstrom should be the other PP d man. Just let him play with Hamonic, get him on the PK. Let him develop some confidence with the puck. Once that comes and he is making quicker decisions then give him some reps in an offensive role.
Agreed 100%. As a side note Hamonic seems to be a very good partner for Sanderson, they seem to communicate extremely well.

Reactions: bert

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
looks alright so far but not sold on being a top 4 on a playoff bound team just yet

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Agreed 100%. As a side note Hamonic seems to be a very good partner for Sanderson, they seem to communicate extremely well.
Ya, Hamonic looked solid yesterday with Sandy, good communication between them, which you won’t get with a Zub partner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad