Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
When I think of reasons we are going to make a big push this year Sanderson is at the top of the list. The way he finished the season, a proper offseason of training and being paired with a better partner all point to a massive season.

A full season of Norris is a close 2nd. The slotting of our players is going to be huge.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Already one of the best D in the league

Not many guys I'd take over Sanderson next season, even fewer I'd take moving forward

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Sanderson reminds me of Scott Niedermayer. Lofty comparison, but I think we have an impactful defenceman here, an absolute stud! The offence will come in droves but it's his overall play that will help this team. Should be the team's #1D within a few years.

To think I wanted Marco Rossi over this guy....lol

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sanderson reminds me of Scott Niedermayer. Lofty comparison, but I think we have an impactful defenceman here, an absolute stud! The offence will come in droves but it's his overall play that will help this team. Should be the team's #1D within a few years.

Think you meant weeks didn't you?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This kid sold me with his year 1 to year 2 jump in the NCAA and if he can make anywhere near that kind of jump this season we'll have one of the very best defenders in the league. I see no reason why he can't be Suter-esque, even if Chabot/Chychrun end up eating the majority of the PP minutes.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I like the Niedermayer comparison. I also think he could end up, in terms of impact, like a Pietrangelo. His skating is just so good. Combined with great defensive awareness and he's already super valuable. FWIW I would have preferred Drysdale. He'll probably still be a really good player but I love Sanderson's game now.

Reactions: armani

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Chychrun was able to put up a lot of points on an atrocious Arizona team with zero expectations. I don't think he's ever been that great defensively and he didn't look like a defensive stalwart in his short sample size with Ottawa last year.

I think Sandy is already better defensively and I think he'll surpass Chychrun offensively as early as this year.
Sounds like karlsson last year.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If I'm Dorion I plant an article with someone that says just this. See if maybe a fire gets lit under Chabot.

Chabot has the ability to be a #1 as well.
Finding himself on the 2nd pair and possibly pp2 should light a fire

If I'm Dorion I plant an article with someone that says just this. See if maybe a fire gets lit under Chabot.

Chabot has the ability to be a #1 as well.
That said, there's no shame in it for Chabot

Sanderson went 5oa in a really strong draft and some put him 2nd in redrafts already

Reactions: Micklebot

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010

Sanderson deal seems to be a priority. I want this deal done asap because he’s going to be a monster and get a huge contract

If Garrioch says Ottawa and Pinto are far apart we should hear about a signing within 48 hours

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Let's get the Sanderson contract done. 9 million x 8 years sounds good.*

*I've upped it from 8.5 because I'm a shitty negotiator

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sandy is the only dman I've ever seen waltz into the NHL and immediately look like a top pairing defenceman from his very first shift.

It looks effortless for him.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I love Sandy and think he'll be our #1 in the near future, but......dude isn't the type of player that gets the mega bucks. His offensive numbers won't warrant 8+ mil a year. At least, not for a good while.

If we're trying to sign him early, going for something in the low 7s is a decent value.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sandy is the best. Pay him what he deserve, but let him earn his dollars.

But just to reiterate. Sandy is the f***ing best. Like, the f***ing best. As good as Stu maybe. And stu is seriously the f***ing best.

• Haha
Reactions: SpezDispenser

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I love Sandy and think he'll be our #1 in the near future, but......dude isn't the type of player that gets the mega bucks. His offensive numbers won't warrant 8+ mil a year. At least, not for a good while.

If we're trying to sign him early, going for something in the low 7s is a decent value.

Have you seen what guys like Seth Jones, Darnell Nurse, Trouba, and Dougie Hamilton are getting paid? Hell even Vlasic ended up getting himself an 8 x $7m contract almost 6 years ago now.

Sanderson is getting paid if he scores more than 40pts a year. And he's a damn near lock to be at least that imo. He skates as good or better than all of those guys above, and will be much better defensively.

Point being is that in the modern day NHL, elite two-way dmen don't have to post 60+ pts to get recognized and paid for being a teams #1D and workhorse anymore.

Having said that, I do agree that Sanderson has to be a consistent 55+ point player to justify becoming the Senators highest paid player one day.

Ideally he settles into the 45 point defensive beast that the wont break bank on us at the same time.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Ideally he settles into the 45 point defensive beast that the wont break bank on us at the same time.

Ideally he opts for financial security on an advanced long term contract with that projection, but then turns into a two way beast like he has at previous levels!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad