Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
no these things are because Chabot is in 6th year and has more confidence and clout to do these things while Sanderson was a 1st year rookie still gaining strength, speed and confidence for himself and from the coach.

you're confusing these factors with their ability level.

Chabot does not have greater ability in the o zone or any zone, and it will be clearer in the next 2 years, let alone when Sanderson is in his prime at 26.
I thought we were talking about right now.

I'm sure Sanderson will surpass Chabot in the next 2 years.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Sanderson is better defensively already. In time he'll be better than Chabot at pretty much everything. And that's not a knock at Chabot.

Reactions: guyzeur

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Either way, it's better for us to have Sandy sign a contract well under an $8 mil average.

If he were happy to sign $6.5x8 right now, I'd get him inked up in a heartbeat. And honestly, that's a good deal for him. He's not going to be a big offensive producer, and he doesn't need to be. His bread and butter is his defense and getting the puck out of the zone quickly and smart. It's not always about point totals.

Reactions: aragorn

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
no these things are because Chabot is in 6th year and has more confidence and clout to do these things while Sanderson was a 1st year rookie still gaining strength, speed and confidence for himself and from the coach.

Chabot does not have greater ability in the o zone or any zone, and it will be clearer in the next 2 years, let alone when Sanderson is in his prime at 26.
Yes Chabot is more skilled offensively

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
By the time Sanderson is an $8M dman, it will be the equivalent of a $6.5M dman now.

Assen na yo!
Here's your original post.
Maybe you should try looking at math that's not simple. If the cap goes up by $10M per team, the players on contracts close to the league minimum won't be getting any of that. And there's a lot of those players in the league. That means there's more to spend on the better players.

Assen na yo!
I have no idea what point you're making cause in the first post all you have to do is some simple math to figure out how much of the cap a $6.5M dman is worth today and use that percentage to calculate the upper limit in the future for it to be roughly worth the same. Your second post has absolutely nothing to do with the original post I responded to. Like nothing at all. Are you confused about the point you're making? Did you misstate your point the first time? Cause I honestly don't know how there can be this many responses to such a simple statement that you made.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Here's your original post.

I have no idea what point you're making cause in the first post all you have to do is some simple math to figure out how much of the cap a $6.5M dman is worth today and use that percentage to calculate the upper limit in the future for it to be roughly worth the same. Your second post has absolutely nothing to do with the original post I responded to. Like nothing at all. Are you confused about the point you're making? Did you misstate your point the first time? Cause I honestly don't know how there can be this many responses to such a simple statement that you made.

The underlined is a you problem not a me problem. I'd say this is you playing checkers while I'm playing chess but the reality is it's more like you're playing CandyLand and I'm playing chess.

My second post had everything to do with the original post. That you can't figure it out doesn't change that fact.

I'm not confused about anything. You're the one who's derp derp derp.... equal percentages... when increases to the cap are not distributed equally among players.

I've explained things to you twice. But in your mind that seems to be many responses.

assennayo

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The underlined is a you problem not a me problem. I'd say this is you playing checkers while I'm playing chess but the reality is it's more like you're playing CandyLand and I'm playing chess.

My second post had everything to do with the original post. That you can't figure it out doesn't change that fact.

I'm not confused about anything. You're the one who's derp derp derp.... equal percentages... when increases to the cap are not distributed equally among players.

I've explained things to you twice. But in your mind that seems to be many responses.

assennayo
Ok, thanks for confirming that you don't know what point you originally made. Take it easy.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sanderson is better defensively already. In time he'll be better than Chabot at pretty much everything. And that's not a knock at Chabot.
Well given their respective draft rankings we would or should expect this but I wouldn't count Chabot out after an injury riddled season where he didn't have a great yr by his standards. I expect that both Sanderson & Chychrun should both help lighten the load for Chabot & reduce his minutes making him much more productive & effective offensively.

Even with a down season last yr he still had more pts than both Chychrun & Sanderson & while I expect those two to improve offensively I also think Chabot has the wheels & offensive skillset to also imrpove his pt totals for next season. Having said all that we also need these guys to be much better defensively & help reduce the goals against. A good stable & healthy #1 goalie is the piece IMO that will turn this team into a playoff contender.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Well given their respective draft rankings we would or should expect this but I wouldn't count Chabot out after an injury riddled season where he didn't have a great yr by his standards. I expect that both Sanderson & Chychrun should both help lighten the load for Chabot & reduce his minutes making him much more productive & effective offensively.

Even with a down season last yr he still had more pts than both Chychrun & Sanderson & while I expect those two to improve offensively I also think Chabot has the wheels & offensive skillset to also imrpove his pt totals for next season. Having said all that we also need these guys to be much better defensively & help reduce the goals against. A good stable & healthy #1 goalie is the piece IMO that will turn this team into a playoff contender.
100%. That's why I've never even looked at any trade proposals involving Chabot. He'll be a delicious number 2 or 3 dman for a long time.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
100%. That's why I've never even looked at any trade proposals involving Chabot. He'll be a delicious number 2 or 3 dman for a long time.
:laugh: That made me laugh, I always thought the guys that score the most are the top players. My money is on Chabot outscoring both of them again next season, but I'm hoping all three end up neck in neck challenging each other right to the end.

• Haha
Reactions: SpezDispenser

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

A goaltender with a .920 save percentage would help get this team into the playoffs.

Getting that stellar goaltending will require better play without the puck by the forwards in our D zone.

:laugh: That made me laugh, I always thought the guys that score the most are the top players. My money is on Chabot outscoring both of them again next season, but I'm hoping all three end up neck in neck challenging each other right to the end.
The guys that score the most get paid the most, although there are some exceptions.

Like you, I expect Chabot to get the most PP time and therefore get more points; however, Chychrun and Sanderson will not be far behind.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
A goaltender with a .920 save percentage would help get this team into the playoffs.

Getting that stellar goaltending will require better play without the puck by the forwards in our D zone.

The guys that score the most get paid the most, although there are some exceptions.

Like you, I expect Chabot to get the most PP time and therefore get more points; however, Chychrun and Sanderson will not be far behind.
It sure would. Since .920 was the fourth best save percentage last year.

Reactions: aragorn and Cosmix

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Chabot has better hands and is better in tight in the o-zone compared to Sanderson.

You're living under a rock if you think otherwise.

They walk the blue line similarly, Sandy is really good at that too.

It has nothing to do with clout or confidence. Just look at Chabot's highlight reels if you forgot, and go a bit further and see what he did at the WJC and with Saint-John.

Sanderson is great but even when he was drafted it was never a question who had more pure offensive ability between him and Chabot.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Chabot has better hands and is better in tight in the o-zone compared to Sanderson.

You're living under a rock if you think otherwise.

They walk the blue line similarly, Sandy is really good at that too.

It has nothing to do with clout or confidence. Just look at Chabot's highlight reels if you forgot, and go a bit further and see what he did at the WJC and with Saint-John.

Sanderson is great but even when he was drafted it was never a question who had more pure offensive ability between him and Chabot.

Chabot does not have better hands in tight. That's exactly where in their puck control Sanderson has an advantage.

Chabot stick handles with the puck further away from his body, while Sanderson is much tighter to his.

Chabot is good when has open ice and space to dangle. Sanderson is much better when he has to escape pressure in tight, o zone or d zone.

Chabot might attempt fancier dekes on the rush but that does not mean better, Sanderson's combination of hockey IQ, hands, and skating posture will make him a much more effective puckhandler.

We will see who is living under a rock in the next few seasons.

Reactions: OD99

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Chabot does not have better hands in tight. That's exactly where in their puck control Sanderson has an advantage.

Chabot stick handles with the puck further away from his body, while Sanderson is much tighter to his.

Chabot is good when has open ice and space to dangle. Sanderson is much better when he has to escape pressure in tight, o zone or d zone.

Chabot might attempt fancier dekes on the rush but that does not mean better, Sanderson's combination of hockey IQ, hands, and skating posture will make him a much more effective puckhandler.

Well we know who’s been living under a rock the last few years, as that has proven itself out.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Well we know who’s been living under a rock the last few years, as that has proven itself out.

Oh yeah you mean when I was arguing that Sanderson was the best most skilled d in the draft and possibly a number 1 talent when everyone was dick riding Drysdale and Sanderson was projected to go in the teens as a defensive d man?

How that proved itself out?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Oh yeah you mean when I was arguing that Sanderson was the best most skilled d in the draft and possibly a number 1 talent when everyone was dick riding Drysdale and Sanderson was projected to go in the teens as a defensive d man?

How that proved itself out?
My draft had Sanderson at 5, no talking about all the other living under a rock points.
Most of us thought Sandy was to be great. Those that didn’t changed their mind after 1 season in NCAA

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
My draft had Sanderson at 5, no talking about all the other living under a rock points.
Most of us thought Sandy was to be great. Those that didn’t changed their mind after 1 season in NCAA

Yes a lot of people were forced to switch their view on Sanderson as the draft year went on.

Same as how everyone who thinks Chabot is a better offensive talent will have to switch their views soon.

And what other points? Not saying I can't be wrong, everyone can and will be wrong, but I'm curious about all these living under a rock points.

I like when people teach me how I was wrong, it can only ever be a learning experience for next time, so I'm curious.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

I agree with all of this and think we see a huge jump in Sanderson's totals next season.

Sanderson is already more elusive than Chabot, particularly in buying himself time in our zone to move the puck.

I don't think JS has the offensive flair the same way Chabot does but he will be incredibly effective and he already seems more confident carrying the puck in deep from a stationary position at the blueline and holding it to make a play. If he plays with JC they will each benefit.

It may not have resulted in a ton more points but you could see he was far more assertive with the puck towards the end of the season. He created his own shots off the rush and had a ton of patience in the offensive zone.

No doubt our offensive numbers from the back end overall next season should blow away anything we have had in a long time.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I agree with all of this and think we see a huge jump in Sanderson's totals next season.

Sanderson is already more elusive than Chabot, particularly in buying himself time in our zone to move the puck.

I don't think JS has the offensive flair the same way Chabot does but he will be incredibly effective and he already seems more confident carrying the puck in deep from a stationary position at the blueline and holding it to make a play. If he plays with JC they will each benefit.

It may not have resulted in a ton more points but you could see he was far more assertive with the puck towards the end of the season. He created his own shots off the rush and had a ton of patience in the offensive zone.

No doubt our offensive numbers from the back end overall next season should blow away anything we have had in a long time.
Imagine if we also had Karlsson back there too.

I doubt it happens though due to K's high salary and cap hit, plus the cost in assets we would have to give up.

Reactions: OD99

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Imagine if we also had Karlsson back there too.

I doubt it happens though due to K's high salary and cap hit, plus the cost in assets we would have to give up.
I am all about bringing Karlsson back, but it feels like someone needs to go to make it work. If it ever happened, Chabot seems like the obvious one considering contract runway/cost/role.

There won't be enough for all of Karlsson, Chabot, Sanderson, Chychrun & Zub to eat their fair share with all of them healthy.

I guess they could always bridge Sanderson and ride it out for two years, kicking that can down the road, but i'm skeptical. That said, someone will probably get injured (looking at you Chychrun), so could be moot when it matters lol.

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

At the bottom of this article, Garrioch says dorion is going to sit down with Sanderson's camp to discuss and extension.

It would be nice if we can get him for 8.3 x 8. I guess we'll see what he's asking for.
I would be surprised if he got more than Chabot, Thachuk or Stutzle, I'm not sure he has the offence in his game just yet to demand that much. I was thinking more in the $7 to $7.5 range, but the sooner they make a deal the cheaper it will be for Ott, so sign him up quickly.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I would be surprised if he got more than Chabot, Thachuk or Stutzle, I'm not sure he has the offence in his game just yet to demand that much. I was thinking more in the $7 to $7.5 range, but the sooner they make a deal the cheaper it will be for Ott, so sign him up quickly.
Yeah, you don't want to take that chance. He's got all the tools to be a 60 point, 2 way defender. A dime under 8 and it's an absolute steal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad