Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't think Sanderson signs this summer unless it's well above 8.

Let's assume his ascension up the NHL ranks continues and he's regarded as the clear cut #1 D by next summer. He sits down to talk contract and the first words he utters are "I'm better than Chabot. I know it. You know it. Chabot makes 8. Pony up" and he certainly wouldn't be wrong. He could be looking at a max term contract north of 9.5 AAV

A lot of guys sign wanting that lifetime financial security. His dad had a lengthy NHL career and the family is probably quite financially secure so that angle is likely less important than it is for a guy coming from lesser family means.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I don't think Sanderson signs this summer unless it's well above 8.

Let's assume his ascension up the NHL ranks continues and he's regarded as the clear cut #1 D by next summer. He sits down to talk contract and the first words he utters are "I'm better than Chabot. I know it. You know it. Chabot makes 8. Pony up" and he certainly wouldn't be wrong. He could be looking at a max term contract north of 9.5 AAV

A lot of guys sign wanting that lifetime financial security. His dad had a lengthy NHL career and the family is probably quite financially secure so that angle is likely less important than it is for a guy coming from lesser family means.

I agree that Sanderson likely doesn't sign long term this summer.

But in regards to his dad's NHL career, not many NHLers got traded as many times as this guy did. And I wouldn't be suprisied if part of the wisdom that he passes along to Jake involves putting some real value into being comfortable where you play, and the length of the contract itself... and it might not necessarily be all about the dollars.

Living like a gun for hire each season must get old pretty quickly...

Reactions: OD99

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I've referenced this a few times but seeing Sanderson's transformation from his freshman to his sophomore season in NCAA was insane.

This is a guy who got 32 points in 77 games and our best defender defensively as a rookie in the NHL. But also in due part because guys like Chabot struggled in first half, and without Chychrun.

Luckily for us, Sanderson is a calculated defender. He progresses in areas that will give him greatest success as a player moving forward. He will use next year as his breakout year on the defensive side of the puck, where he will be recognized league wide for his great defense and still put up around 35-40 points(also think same points will be in due part because he will be splitting offensive opportunities with Chabot and Chychrun). I think that will allow us to lock him up 7.5-8.5 long term. The year after that, he will start racking up 40-50 points as top 3 defensive defender and then 50+ as Norris candidate.

Kinda similar to McAvoy but I believe Sanderson's skating and puck handling are better and therefore he'll breakout offensively sooner.

My first sentence is basically worst case scenario(yet best case) if Chabot/Chychrun stall/get injured and Sanderson finds a greater step sooner and racks 50+ points next year being our all situation number 1. He'll get 9-9.5 then.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa's offensive potential has dramatically increased with the addition of Tarasenko, Kubalik & Chychrun & we should also expect that a number of our young stars should also improve like Tkachuk, Stutzle, Batherson, Norris, Chabot, Chychrun, Sanderson & Pinto. It's a much more productive roster which should bolster everyone's numbers & then add Giroux to that list.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
M
I've referenced this a few times but seeing Sanderson's transformation from his freshman to his sophomore season in NCAA was insane.

This is a guy who got 32 points in 77 games and our best defender defensively as a rookie in the NHL. But also in due part because guys like Chabot struggled in first half, and without Chychrun.

Luckily for us, Sanderson is a calculated defender. He progresses in areas that will give him greatest success as a player moving forward. He will use next year as his breakout year on the defensive side of the puck, where he will be recognized league wide for his great defense and still put up around 35-40 points(also think same points will be in due part because he will be splitting offensive opportunities with Chabot and Chychrun). I think that will allow us to lock him up 7.5-8.5 long term. The year after that, he will start racking up 40-50 points as top 3 defensive defender and then 50+ as Norris candidate.

Kinda similar to McAvoy but I believe Sanderson's skating and puck handling are better and therefore he'll breakout offensively sooner.

My first sentence is basically worst case scenario(yet best case) if Chabot/Chychrun stall/get injured and Sanderson finds a greater step sooner and racks 50+ points next year being our all situation number 1. He'll get 9-9.5 then.
McAvoy is on a 9.5 AAV deal. If you're thinking that Jake is the better player, and I'm certainly not blaming you for thinking it, then maybe we need to rethink expectations on his contract given he'll be signing into an elevated cap compared to when McAvoy signed.

If he doesn't sign this summer and he progresses into a franchise level D, his AAV is likely north on 10 next summer

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I doubt Sanderson gets too much PP time. Chabot and Chychrun are most likely ahead of him there. If he can put up 30-40 points that are overwhelmingly ES production ,we got ourselves a McAvoy caliber defender

Reactions: DrEasy

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
He’s the best D on the team but we should temper expectations a tad.

Will be a rock solid #1 for us for a long time but he’s still very young and will need time. He’s not better than a guy like McAvoy yet.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
I remember in Sanderson's Freshmen year at UND he played a very conservative, safe, and stabilizing style of play. The following year, he came back and not only acted as that stabilizing force on defence but he also held on to the puck far more. He showed great transition play, playmaking, in-zone puck handling, and in general just added a great flair to his place compared to his first season.

The NHL is obviously a much more difficult league but I do wonder if he adds a few things this coming season with the added familiarity to the league.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I think he is waiting to see what Owen Power gets both similar age LD. Similar production. Sanderson went 5 in a strong draft power went 1st in a weak draft. Power is clearly the more valuable asset tho even if it is slight

I think whatever Power gets Sanderson will come 0.5-1m cheaper than that

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I remember in Sanderson's Freshmen year at UND he played a very conservative, safe, and stabilizing style of play. The following year, he came back and not only acted as that stabilizing force on defence but he also held on to the puck far more. He showed great transition play, playmaking, in-zone puck handling, and in general just added a great flair to his place compared to his first season.

The NHL is obviously a much more difficult league but I do wonder if he adds a few things this coming season with the added familiarity to the league.
I think Sanderson will definitely show positive progression in his game this coming season. He will start to play more against the best players in the league and learn how to read and react to their higher skill levels. I think it will definitely be a highlight next season watching him develop.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The way he finished last season shows he will be a star.

The poise and control he showed, along with jumping deep into the offensive zone consistently proved to me he had already taken a big step.

I hope we can sign him before the season and have a legit core locked up for many more years.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Solid two way defender, not sure what his offensive ceiling is, but he is certainly already very good defensively. Just needs to fill out & put on more weight & gain the experience.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If I could keep only 1 D on this team it would be Sanderson. He is just getting started. As a rookie he focused on D .. One of the hardest things for rookies coming into the league is defending. He was our best defender in his rookie year. Excellent on retrievals , Excellent in transition.
He got more opportunities on the PP late in the year and was really good. Good enough to be given more opportunities. His decision making and execution at distributing the puck was really good. I would not hesitate to give him PP1 opportunities. Sanderson will probably be 1st over the boards in a defensive role so ice time distribution will factor in .

He is only going to get better . Definitely #1D in our core for me. His extension could be the biggest contract the Sens have and it could mean other moves will factor in but I think he's a priority.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He will be in conversation for top 5 player in the league at some point in his career.

But Chychrun is better currently and Chabot should be too (outside of last year).

Yall been seeing the performances and seasons Chychrun posting on Arizona? Before traded to us 28 points in 36 games with excellent 2 way play and physical dimension. Injuries are the only thing stopping him from being recognized as bonafide number 1 league-wide(which many consider him to be as well).

I expect Sanderson to be in solid conversation by the end of next year and clear number 1 mid 2024/2025 season. I see Sanderson honing and legitimizing his reputation as a defensive stalwart next year and then demonstrating that with greater offensive prowess the year after. At that point a top 5-10 defender.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
He will be in conversation for top 5 player in the league at some point in his career.

But Chychrun is better currently and Chabot should be too (outside of last year).

Yall been seeing the performances and seasons Chychrun posting on Arizona? Before traded to us 28 points in 36 games with excellent 2 way play and physical dimension. Injuries are the only thing stopping him from being recognized as bonafide number 1 league-wide(which many consider him to be as well).

I expect Sanderson to be in solid conversation by the end of next year and clear number 1 mid 2024/2025 season. I see Sanderson honing and legitimizing his reputation as a defensive stalwart next year and then demonstrating that with greater offensive prowess the year after. At that point a top 5-10 defender.

Chychrun was able to put up a lot of points on an atrocious Arizona team with zero expectations. I don't think he's ever been that great defensively and he didn't look like a defensive stalwart in his short sample size with Ottawa last year.

I think Sandy is already better defensively and I think he'll surpass Chychrun offensively as early as this year.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
It will be a treat watching Sanderson develop thos season. Going to anchor the PK, play against the opponents best players, and push the pace in transition to offense.

Only real question is if he plays 1st PP or 2nd. Chabot can play PP1, and may be better at it if his minutes are dialed back so he doesn't use it to rest.

Chychrun is a great shooting option from up top which the Sens have lacked. Could play PP1 or 2 and add an important shooting element.

Sanderson is probably the smoothest at quick puck retrievals, moving the puck up quickly to the offensive zone and making smart passes and shots from the top on the PP.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Chychrun was able to put up a lot of points on an atrocious Arizona team with zero expectations. I don't think he's ever been that great defensively and he didn't look like a defensive stalwart in his short sample size with Ottawa last year.

I think Sandy is already better defensively and I think he'll surpass Chychrun offensively as early as this year.

Eh, I think Chychrun rated fairly. Many experts were conversating on him being Canada's top LD a couple years ago.

Then we have the question of Chabot, who outside of last year has played closer top 15 defender than number 2 defender. And has the reputation of being the best guy in best on best play in both CHL and WJC.

Chabot is a wild card and can either bolt back as a Norris contending defender or number 2. I saw too much poise and flashes for him to not get back to Norris contention conversation. It was just 2 years ago I saw this guy shutdown McDavid and Mackinnon in a matter of a few nights. Something beautiful to behold in those games.

Needs a new coach.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Then we have the question of Chabot, who outside of last year has played closer top 15 defender than number 2 defender. And has the reputation of being the best guy in best on best play in both CHL and WJC.

Chabot is a wild card and can either bolt back as a Norris contending defender or number 2. I saw too much poise and flashes for him to not get back to Norris contention conversation. It was just 2 years ago I saw this guy shutdown McDavid and Mackinnon in a matter of a few nights. Something beautiful to behold in those games.

Needs a new coach.

Sandy and Chabot are our top pair guys going forward for sure.

Can't write off Chabot just yet but even if he settles in as a more of a #2 to Sanderson's #1 I think we'll be OK.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Sandy and Chabot are our top pair guys going forward for sure.

Can't write off Chabot just yet but even if he settles in as a more of a #2 to Sanderson's #1 I think we'll be OK.

We'll be in tremendous position. But if Chabot plays like a number 2 while struggling defensively, I see him being gone without a doubt. He's paid number 1 money. If he plays like a solid number 2 on both ends of the puck, then 8 mill will be number 2 money anyway in 2-3 years.

Reactions: Mingus Dew

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

So “the coach” guy from Steve Warnes podcast who has apparently watched him play a lot says exactly the opposite.
Says he is excellent defensively, breaks up lots of plays and turns puck up ice really quickly. Really great stick and uses size well in the D zone etc etc.

I think he might have said he’s one of the better defenders in the league.
Anyone, there you have it - another man’s opinion.

I also thought he looked good with us.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Imo the most exciting thing about Sanderson was how good he was as a rookie coming off an extended stretch of rehab. He should be better coming off a summer of proper training

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad