Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I will be shocked if he signs under 8mil and I will be equally shocked if he underperforms his contract. He's better than Chabot, he's better than Chychrun, he's the guy you build around.
I wouldn’t go long term with him. I’d offer him 6M x 3 next year and then pay him market value after that for 8 years. Locks him up for 12 more years rather than him being a UFA at 30 wanting another 8 year deal.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wouldn’t go long term with him. I’d offer him 6M x 3 next year and then pay him market value after that for 8 years. Locks him up for 12 more years rather than him being a UFA at 30 wanting another 8 year deal.
With any player it will always depend on the person & what they want & what their circumstances will be at the time their contratc is due. We don't know their situations & what they want or where they want to play. Hopefully he stays here his whole career.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The problem in the past was that guys signed for deals that undervalued them for their primes and then they needed to get a second huge deal at 30+ to make up for it.

These big prime deals make it so guys can take second deals that match their current values instead of feeling like they have to make up for lost value.

I don’t think we need to fear the second deals.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
A summer of proper training

Guess we're looking at a heavier, stronger Jake next year.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Market value when hes 24 may be like 10.5

Listen, anyone who saw the difference between Jake in NCAA freshman vs sophomore knows we are in for an insane treat next year.

I really would not be surprised to see him breakout as a top 10 defender.
Man is already a top 10 defender

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think Sanderson's best comparable is McAvoy. He's come in and had a relatively good transition, but McAvoy is elite in two way play. He's not as offensively gifted as Makar, Fox, etc... but he's an advanced stats dream and his bridge deal was 3 years $4.9 million before he got his $9.5 million aav deal.

In 2019-20 he was 10th in Norris votes, in 2020-21 he was 5th in Norris votes before getting his $9.5 million deal. His offensive production wasn't as elite in his elc years, and neither is Sandy's so based on other contracts, I don't expect a bridge deal to cost too much. If he changes production, then you don't have to worry about $9+ million in a few years, you pay him, but $10 million for a defensemen is usually going to be reserved for the high end producers. Plus, a 3 year bridge deal gives us so much flexibility to compete with our current core. If we have to move guys out to pay Sanderson, I'd be fine with that since he's already our 3rd most important player at worst and will always be more valuable than Cat, Bath, or whomever by the end of his bridge.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We have the luxury of waiting on Jake. On how he progresses next year. On how the cap changes. On new ownership.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Anyone flinging around 8M could definitely pass as an agent of Sanderson's
I'm a big fan and I think he'll eventually be worth that, but he doesn't have the point totals on paper to justify that just yet.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm a big fan and I think he'll eventually be worth that, but he doesn't have the point totals on paper to justify that just yet.

Not even close.

Andrej Meszaros outproduced him in his rookie season.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Brisson also reps Owen Power, who is in a nearly identical position to Sanderson this offseason. If they both sign long-term, expect those two deals to look very similar.

Brisson also reps Quinn Hughes, who didn't sign long-term until his RFA summer. That negotiation stretched into training camp.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020

Not even close.

Andrej Meszaros outproduced him in his rookie season.

1) new era, we are instantly in the 8 x X post ELC
2) Redden and Philips.. neither really put up huge numbers.. In fact he is belter than both (at age 19, they started at 18).

both anchored this team's defense for 10 years, 1 cup run, 7-8 golden years. Both Played on team Canada in 2004

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
1) new era, we are instantly in the 8 x X post ELC
2) Redden and Philips.. neither really put up huge numbers.. In fact he is belter than both (at age 19, they started at 18).

both anchored this team's defense for 10 years, 1 cup run, 7-8 golden years. Both Played on team Canada in 2004

The point isn't that he can't become a good defenceman, it's that giving him $8M at this point is unnecessary.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Oh no, that might make negotiations harder.

The DeBrincat situation likely impacts the Sens approach here. Impossible to forsee that.

Without digging too deep. Recent contracts Brisson Star RFA clients signed

Cole Caufield 7.85
Jason Robertson 7.75
Jack Hughes 8

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The DeBrincat situation likely impacts the Sens approach here. Impossible to forsee that.

Without digging too deep. Recent contracts Brisson Star RFA clients signed

Cole Caufield 7.85
Jason Robertson 7.75
Jack Hughes 8
MacKinnon another recent one, Tavares and Kopitar older ones

Ad

Ad

Ad