Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
You know who else was/is like that? Chabot.

If we can get him back on track, we'll be in remarkable position.
Of course, we need that from him he still has the potential to do so.

Chabot has a toolbox that is full. How many Dman in the league skate as well as he do? Not much.
How many dman can skate the puck up like he does? Probably not much either. He doesn't have a bad shot. He need to use it more rapidly. I feel he search for the perfect play rather they play by instinct

I still remember a goal in his 2nd year, 1st match of the year. He skate the puck through 4 Leafs, shot the puck on net, get his own rebound and scored a beautiful goal.

Let's hope a good summer of work, combine by the developpement of Sanderson and an increase role will let Chabot blossom into a marvelous top pairing dman that play on the 2nd pair with maybe Chychrun or Zub.

I've been harsh on Chabot, but I so wish he proves me wrong on things have said this year.

Reactions: bert

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Of course, we need that from him he still has the potential to do so.

Chabot has a toolbox that is full. How many Dman in the league skate as well as he do? Not much.
How many dman can skate the puck up like he does? Probably not much either. He doesn't have a bad shot. He need to use it more rapidly. I feel he search for the perfect play rather they play by instinct

I still remember a goal in his 2nd year, 1st match of the year. He skate the puck through 4 Leafs, shot the puck on net, get his own rebound and scored a beautiful goal.

Let's hope a good summer of work, combine by the developpement of Sanderson and an increase role will let Chabot blossom into a marvelous top pairing dman that play on the 2nd pair with maybe Chychrun or Zub.

I've been harsh on Chabot, but I so wish he proves me wrong on things have said this year.
I honestly think Chabot doesn't know how to just be a wheel in the cog. He's so used to being "the guy", that he feels like he has to do everything. He has to save energy to set up plays and goals, because if he doesn't do it, nobody can. With the increased expectations this season, this is also leading to him putting way too much pressure in himself. Plus DJ still heaping too many minutes onto him, it's just a recipe for disaster. We need to reduce his ice time, and reduce his number of responsibilities. He needs a soft reset on his game. I would even consider giving him PK minutes to shake things up and get him to focus more on the shift-to-shift instead of the game as a whole.

Reactions: NB613 and Viletho

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Likely won't get much Calder consideration, but he is probably the most valuable rookie this season. Carrying a big load defensively and the offense is coming.
Powers gets more press because he's a 1st OA, and Calder is typically a scoring race trophy, so Sanderson will be lucky if he comes in 4th in voting imo.

Reactions: Cosmix

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Likely won't get much Calder consideration, but he is probably the most valuable rookie this season. Carrying a big load defensively and the offense is coming.
Is the level Sanderson is playing at right now really that far off Seider last season? I don't think so. Same goes for Power, although I don't see enough of Buffalo to judge him against Sanderson.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is the level Sanderson is playing at right now really that far off Seider last season? I don't think so. Same goes for Power, although I don't see enough of Buffalo to judge him against Sanderson.
Seider was 13 pts off the rookie scoring lead, 4th OA. Sanderson is 20 pts back and counting, 10th OA.

Don't get me wrong, Sanderson has been great and would be a fine choice, but the voters don't see enough of him to get the nuance of his game, so they'll see pts totals, mins played, word of mouth might confirm to them he's solid defensively, but nobody is going to have him ahead of Beniers, McTavich, probably not Powers either since he has more hype as a 1oa

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Seider was 13 pts off the rookie scoring lead, 4th OA. Sanderson is 20 pts back and counting, 10th OA.

Don't get me wrong, Sanderson has been great and would be a fine choice, but the voters don't see enough of him to get the nuance of his game, so they'll see pts totals, mins played, word of mouth might confirm to them he's solid defensively, but nobody is going to have him ahead of Beniers, McTavich, probably not Powers either since he has more hype as a 1oa
Agreed that I think he has the narrative working against him. And over the measure of the season, it's certainly a different story as Sanderson has progressed what his role is over time, whereas someone like Seider kind of broke out immediately and didn't have any players of Chabot quality blocking him.

I would say for the level he's playing at right this moment, I'd put Sanderson up against any other rookie this year. When you look at the resume over the season, that's when Beniers may have shown more. But in my mind it's a lot closer than most would have you think. And at the rate Sanderson is putting up points these days (4 in his last 5, 7 in his last 10), he just might make it a race even in the popular media.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Agreed that I think he has the narrative working against him. And over the measure of the season, it's certainly a different story as Sanderson has progressed what his role is over time, whereas someone like Seider kind of broke out immediately and didn't have any players of Chabot quality blocking him.

I would say for the level he's playing at right this moment, I'd put Sanderson up against any other rookie this year. When you look at the resume over the season, that's when Beniers may have shown more. But in my mind it's a lot closer than most would have you think. And at the rate Sanderson is putting up points these days (4 in his last 5, 7 in his last 10), he just might make it a race even in the popular media.
Spot on.

The fact he is just getting consistent PP minutes now is reflected in his recent increase in points. If he puts up another 10+ points before the end of the season he might just get himself in the conversation.

Either way, I am more than happy to have all our young stars under the radar and be under estimated. In a couple of years there will be no denying their greatness.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Him and Power are by far the two best rookies in my opinion. Doing what they are doing on D is way more impressive than any forward or goalie.

Reactions: Dionysus

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Him and Power are by far the two best rookies in my opinion. Doing what they are doing on D is way more impressive than any forward or goalie.
I don't entirely disagree, though I don't watch enough of Seattle to know how complete a game Beniers is playing.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Spot on.

The fact he is just getting consistent PP minutes now is reflected in his recent increase in points. If he puts up another 10+ points before the end of the season he might just get himself in the conversation.

Either way, I am more than happy to have all our young stars under the radar and be under estimated. In a couple of years there will be no denying their greatness.
If he wins the calder thats not going to help the contract situation.

Reactions: DrEasy and Dionysus

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
If he wins the calder thats not going to help the contract situation.
I don't think he will win but I don't think it would hurt the negotiations either.

Projecting what he will do next season, I think it's a done deal that he will be offered a max contract at a very sweet price tag.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
A couple things to remember about a Sanderson extension

1. As a 10.2 RFA after his ELC Sanderson will not be eligible for an Offer Sheet.

2. As a 10.2 RFA and as a 20 year old at ELC signing he will have 5 more years before UFA as opposed to the normal 4. This means a 3 year bridge leaves him 2 years until UFA.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A couple things to remember about a Sanderson extension

1. As a 10.2 RFA after his ELC Sanderson will not be eligible for an Offer Sheet.

2. As a 10.2 RFA and as a 20 year old at ELC signing he will have 5 more years before UFA as opposed to the normal 4. This means a 3 year bridge leaves him 2 years until UFA.
If we can get him on a great value deal early .. like we did with Timmy , I'd like to do that. Entire cap picture to do it early has to factor in obviously and will be significant in how they approach it.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If we can get him on a great value deal early .. like we did with Timmy , I'd like to do that. Entire cap picture to do it early has to factor in obviously and will be significant in how they approach it.
If we get him on an 8 year deal we are only buying 3 UFA years. I’m good either way but the additional cap space between 2024/25-2026/27 that a bridge would achieve could be incredibly valuable to a contending team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If we get him on an 8 year deal we are only buying 3 UFA years. I’m good either way but the additional cap space between 2024/25-2026/27 that a bridge would achieve could be incredibly valuable to a contending team.
Has its advantages for sure.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Beniers reminds me a bit of Raymond from last year, where he got off to a blazing start but has cooled off as the season progressed. Whereas Sanderson just continues to get better the more games he plays.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Beniers reminds me a bit of Raymond from last year, where he got off to a blazing start but has cooled off as the season progressed. Whereas Sanderson just continues to get better the more games he plays.
Agreed, it’s like he keeps figuring it out, then DJ adds a bit more to the plate and he figures that out.

What a player, as a rookie.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed.

There seems to a view with some posters that signing longer term agreements with players at lower AAVs is a great strategy; however, it does not always work out. Signing shorter term agreements can be a viable strategy to pay the market rate for shorter periods of time rather than trying to save dollars by signing longer terms at lower AAVs based on optimistic future performance projections. Both approaches have risk.

Managing the salaries to stay within the cap or team budget is important and the key goal. Trying to save a few dollars over longer terms may be a detriment to longer term salary management.

I’m not sure why he got bumped to PP2 again… he QBs better than TC.
Could be to take advantage of the other team's poorer PK2. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad