Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Makar was dominating early and Sanderson took that as an alpha dog challenge and took over the rest of the way. What a fkn beast.

He was the backbone of the team.

Exactly.

Insane to think he's only 20.

I remember seeing Sanderson 2 years ago and thinking "wow this guy is so good". Then I saw him last year and he was an entirely different animal. His swagger, his play, his maturity. That's when I knew he'll be in conversation for top 5 at some point in his career. Didn't think he could look that different in less than a year's development.

Now, at 20, he's already our best D. People have no idea what's in store in a couple years. His progression is not normal. It multiplies. What you are seeing now is just the surface of what he will be.

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
Exactly.

Insane to think he's only 20.

I remember seeing Sanderson 2 years ago and thinking "wow this guy is so good". Then I saw him last year and he was an entirely different animal. His swagger, his play, his maturity. That's when I knew he'll be in conversation for top 5 at some point in his career. Didn't think he could look that different in less than a year's development.

Now, at 20, he's already our best D. People have no idea what's in store in a couple years. His progression is not normal. It multiplies. What you are seeing now is just the surface of what he will be.
To think Sanderson and Stutzle are only 20 and 21 makes this season a bit more bearable. The Senators will have an elite top C and D for years to come. 2020 was a homerun for the franchise.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Makar was dominating early and Sanderson took that as an alpha dog challenge and took over the rest of the way. What a fkn beast.

He was the backbone of the team.
A player that consistently eleveted his game when there is a challenge in front of him !

It's a good sign for the futur.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
To think Sanderson and Stutzle are only 20 and 21 makes this season a bit more bearable. The Senators will have an elite top C and D for years to come. 2020 was a homerun for the franchise.
We got the best 2 players in the draft. I'll call that one early.

I think Sanderson will even add some nice offense in the coming years. That seems to be kind of how his growth has gone, along with maintaining great defensive play. His skating is just too good that he can't help turning plays into odd man rushes.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We got the best 2 players in the draft. I'll call that one early.

I think Sanderson will even add some nice offense in the coming years. That seems to be kind of how his growth has gone, along with maintaining great defensive play. His skating is just too good that he can't help turning plays into odd man rushes.
I agree!

For a moment yesterday when one of our D caught and slapped the puck away from an opposing forward trying to create a breakaway onto our net I immediately thought it was Sanderson. It turned out to be Chychrun. :).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

On Thursday against the Avalanche, Sanderson led all Ottawa skaters with 3:40 of penalty-killing time. Since coming back from his upper body injury last month, Sanderson has spent 45:10 killing penalties and has only been on the ice for one power play goal for the opposition. In that span, his 1.33 PPGA/60 is second best of any defenceman in the entire NHL
Sanderson now has 13 power play assists, the same amount as Chabot — despite playing 100 minutes fewer on the power play this season. Sanderson actually ranks in the top 10 in the entire NHL amongst defenceman in PPP/60 and is producing points at the same rate as Quinn Hughes of the Vancouver Canucks.

If he isn't the Sens #1 D now , to me there is absolutely no question he will be. Right now looking at the complete package no D on this team does it better. The Sens D corps still needs some work on the right side and with Sanderson emerging and likely getting paid there will be changes.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Chabot carries the puck and moves it way better than Chychrun. Chychrun would have a similar role to Norris. He would not be better than Chabot in that position. He's got a better shot and is a rangier/heavier d man but if he was that mobile and dynamic offensively he would be a top 3 d man in hockey. They have different skillsets.

Chabot is getting massively underrated around here. I find it all very strange how posters can't just be happy with multiple good d men. Its been so long or maybe never in alot of sens fans lifetimes the team has had more than one or 2 really good d men. It's allowed believe it or not.

In regards to Sanderson he is somewhere in the middle of these two players. He has the upside to be the best and most balanced of the three. It's truly unreal the sens have 3 guys this good and dynamic. Elite D cores are a true sign a team can be a perennial contender.

Having Chabot 26, Chychrun 24, Sanderson 20, Zub 27 and Brannstrom 23 means this team is going to be very competitive for another 6 to 8 seasons. Sustainable success.
At one time not so long ago we had Chara, Redden, Phillips and Volchenkov.

I do like the look of our D now and for next season: Chabot, Chychrun, Zub, Sanderson, Brannstrom & Bernard-Docker/Thomson.

Was at the game last night and my scouting report on Sanderson: he’s really good.
A scout of 3 words! :)

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
At one time not so long ago we had Chara, Redden, Phillips and Volchenkov.

I do like the look of our D now and for next season: Chabot, Chychrun, Zub, Sanderson, Brannstrom & Bernard-Docker/Thomson.

A scout of 3 words! :)

I agree with most of your statement. However, there has been nothing to indicate that Bernard-Docker or Thomson will ever be anything but fringe NHLers. JBD does not have a lot of talent, and no dynamism. Thomson doesn't seem to have very much hockey sense. I can't even see one of them becoming as good as even Wiercioch.

This isn't such a bad thing, we have a top 5, it can't be that hard to find a 6th guy going forward.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Apparantely when he was hurt. He practice with Alfredson. Show clip of Karlsson how to work his footwork in the offensive line. Talk about the defensive side , give trick of Philips. Maybe Chabot would benefit to be hurt sometime

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Sanderson is developing exponentially, very similar to how he his College career progressed. Has the makings of a top 5 d man in the league.

I expect we will see more offense from him as his confidence grows. Rushes, more shots, even smoother and effortless defense to offense transitions.

Really need to find a steady partner who can compliment him at even strength now. Hamonic was fine, but he can't play the minutes Sandy will be playing in the future.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I mentioned this in another thread but don't forget about Greig. He hasn't been completely out of place dropped into the 2C role with DBC and G. Another good offseason and he will be ready to contribute in a significant way.

Add in Kleven who is looking like he is finding a new level to his game along with Levi (record for shutouts) and Jarvi who somehow is now a C and showing his shot is a weapon in the AHL and that draft will easily be the best one we ever had and will set the team up for the next 10+ years.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sanderson is developing exponentially, very similar to how he his College career progressed. Has the makings of a top 5 d man in the league.

I expect we will see more offense from him as his confidence grows. Rushes, more shots, even smoother and effortless defense to offense transitions.

Really need to find a steady partner who can compliment him at even strength now. Hamonic was fine, but he can't play the minutes Sandy will be playing in the future.
I think one of Zub or Chychrun could end up playing with him & my money is on Chychrun playing the right side with Sanderson. I also think Hamonic will be re-signed & play on the 3rd pairing likely with Brannstrom if he is still here.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

If he isn't the Sens #1 D now , to me there is absolutely no question he will be. Right now looking at the complete package no D on this team does it better. The Sens D corps still needs some work on the right side and with Sanderson emerging and likely getting paid there will be changes.

Dude is amazing. It was discussed earlier in the season that you could see he was holding himself back offensively and that when he flipped the switch he would be able to push the play.

This is a repeat of Stu, in being able to see the future potential and how by the end of a season he has already reached another level. They also both seem to want to be the best so I have no doubt their drive will push them to their top potential.

Can't wait to see Sandy add a bit more of an edge to his game too.

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
According to the article:
A few hours prior to Thursday night’s game ...
“So I feel like in the next few weeks, it’s time to take a step on the offensive side of the game.”

2 Assists last night.

Should be interesting to see what he can do offensively in these last 15 (including last night) games.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
If Doughty and Karlsson had a baby it would be Jake Sanderson.

might not become as good as either but his game is such an incredible blend of the two.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Not gonna lie .... I find this take very strange.

why? he plays defensively with the focus of Drew and his skating and passing has a healthy dose of Karlsson.

he won't be as heavy Drew defensively or as good as EK offensively but he will be a solid balance of both. he is already showing it, might be our best offensive and defensive defenceman this year, and as a rookie.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
why? he plays defensively with the focus of Drew and his skating and passing has a healthy dose of Karlsson.

he won't be as heavy Drew defensively or as good as EK offensively but he will be a solid balance of both. he is already showing it, might be our best offensive and defensive defenceman this year, and as a rookie.
It was the suggested mating of two professional hockey players that struck me as.... out there.

Reactions: aragorn

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Any reason to believe Sanderson won’t stick on PP1 for the rest of the season? I’m surprised to see him there over Chabot, even though he is probably the better fit. Coaches can take forever to see reason….

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad