Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I would prefer Chych over Chabot but that goddamn PP is clicking at 25% rn so until it plummeted they gotta stay with Chabot

Yeah I'm 100% sure that Chychrun on the point for PP1 would be better but you don't mess with a good thing. Plus Sanderson with Chychrun, Giroux, Pinto and filler guy until next year when Norris comes back would be a damn good unit by itself.

Reactions: NB613 and Alex1234

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah I'm 100% sure that Chychrun on the point for PP1 would be better but you don't mess with a good thing. Plus Sanderson with Chychrun, Giroux, Pinto and filler guy until next year when Norris comes back would be a damn good unit by itself.
Oh man cant wait for Norris to be back. The fact that we are playing our best hockey even in absence of our 1B centre… we are gunna be so good next year it blows my mind

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I noticed Sanderson only has 6 penalty minutes this year, and only had 6 and 4 in his 2 seasons at North Dakota.

It is very unusual for a defenseman to have so few PIM. It's part of the job to take penalties, like is a guy has you beat to prevent a goal, etc. I'm not even mad when defenders take penalties in their own end, it just happens a lot.

If the average PP scores 1 in 5 times, Sandy is saving a lot of goals by being so accurate and efficient with the way he checks; quickness, good stick, instincts, instant transition.

Put that with the 83% defensive rating as a rookie which is unheard of, D is hard to play in the NHL all rookies are supposed to struggle defensively. Good players Guhle is at 6%, Power 13%. Scary how good Jake will defend in a couple years when he's in his prime.

Sometimes it looks easy the way he takes the puck away from players / contains them / makes the right play to get puck to a teammate to start transition.

Pretty unique player, plus speed and good not great offensive instincts, such potential.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I noticed Sanderson only has 6 penalty minutes this year, and only had 6 and 4 in his 2 seasons at North Dakota.

It is very unusual for a defenseman to have so few PIM. It's part of the job to take penalties, like is a guy has you beat to prevent a goal, etc. I'm not even mad when defenders take penalties in their own end, it just happens a lot.

If the average PP scores 1 in 5 times, Sandy is saving a lot of goals by being so accurate and efficient with the way he checks; quickness, good stick, instincts, instant transition.

Put that with the 83% defensive rating as a rookie which is unheard of, D is hard to play in the NHL all rookies are supposed to struggle defensively. Good players Guhle is at 6%, Power 13%. Scary how good Jake will defend in a couple years when he's in his prime.

Sometimes it looks easy the way he takes the puck away from players / contains them / makes the right play to get puck to a teammate to start transition.

Pretty unique player, plus speed and good not great offensive instincts, such potential.
Watch him continue to be phenomenal at staying out the box but is exceptional at every aspect of the game. Like a Brian Campbell who can actually play D

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
What do you mean by defensive rating?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chabot carries the puck and moves it way better than Chychrun. Chychrun would have a similar role to Norris. He would not be better than Chabot in that position. He's got a better shot and is a rangier/heavier d man but if he was that mobile and dynamic offensively he would be a top 3 d man in hockey. They have different skillsets.

Chabot is getting massively underrated around here. I find it all very strange how posters can't just be happy with multiple good d men. Its been so long or maybe never in alot of sens fans lifetimes the team has had more than one or 2 really good d men. It's allowed believe it or not.

In regards to Sanderson he is somewhere in the middle of these two players. He has the upside to be the best and most balanced of the three. It's truly unreal the sens have 3 guys this good and dynamic. Elite D cores are a true sign a team can be a perennial contender.

Having Chabot 26, Chychrun 24, Sanderson 20, Zub 27 and Brannstrom 23 means this team is going to be very competitive for another 6 to 8 seasons. Sustainable success.

Last edited:

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
What do you mean by defensive rating?
It's from those advanced stats player cards you see here all the time. Jake is 83% defense. Power is 13%. Guhle was 6%. I'll attach it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230303-081258.png
    Screenshot_20230303-081258.png
    311 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: OD99

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Chabot carries the puck and moves it way better than Chychrun. Chychrun would have a similar role to Norris. He would not be better than Chabot in that position. He's got a better shot and is a rangier/heavier d man but if he was that mobile and dynamic offensively he would be a top 3 d man in hockey. They have different skillsets.

Chabot is getting massively underrated around here. I find it all very strange how posters can't just be happy with multiple good d men. Its been so long or maybe never in alot of sens fans lifetimes the team has had more than one or 2 really good d men. It's allowed believe it or not.

In regards to Sanderson he is somewhere in the middle of these two players. He has the upside to be the best and most balanced of the three. It's truly unreal the sens have 3 guys this good and dynamic. Elite D cores are a true sign a team can be a perennial contender.

Having Chabot 26, Chychrun 24, Sanderson 20, Zub 27 and Brannstrom 23 means this team is going to be very competitive for another 6 to 8 seasons. Sustainable success.

Worth more than just a like. Amen to this. Well said.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010

I noticed Jake's 6 PIMs and looked at a couple of things for comparison:

- He has the lowest PIM to TOI ratio in the league. He plays 204 mins for every singular PIM (which works out to 408 mins between each minor 2 min penalty). Next on the list is Slavin at 156 mins/PIM. Only 14 D in the NHL have a number higher than 100 here. Arber Xhekaj is at the bottom with just under 8 mins of ice time before he gets a PIM

- he has only taken one penalty in the last 49 games or 1054 mins of playing time

- his 3 penalties were 2 for tripping, one for high-sticking

- Jakob Chychrun has 4 mins with Ottawa already

The most incredible stat out of all of this is the fact that Ottawa has a PK% of 0 when Sanderson is in the box. Yes you're reading that correctly, the opposing team has scored EVERY time Jake was in the box. Small sample size and all but Ottawa is 5th in the NHL on the penalty kill - they could've killed one without him, jeez...

Ottawa also leads the league in PK time per AND PP time per game. It's nice we get calls going our way now, but this almost proves the whole make-up call theory.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Ottawa also leads the league in PK time per AND PP time per game. It's nice we get calls going our way now, but this almost proves the whole make-up call theory.
Or that we are fast and skilled (draw penalties) while also scrambly and a step behind when defending? Reaching in etc.

I get your theory but not sure it “proves” it.

Interesting stat on PK though, poor Jake has to be aware we will be scored on if he takes a penalty lol

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Or that we are fast and skilled (draw penalties) while also scrambly and a step behind when defending? Reaching in etc.

I get your theory but not sure it “proves” it.

Interesting stat on PK though, poor Jake has to be aware we will be scored on if he takes a penalty lol

I forgot the /sarcasm tag on the PP/PK correlation ;)

I was surprised at the PK time numbers since Ottawa was first in PP time and that has probably lessened the complaints about unfair ref conspiracy theories. Your summation is probably accurate as to why we lead in both. Stützle and Tkachuk draw a LOT of penalties (for completely different reasons), and we are disorganized af at times

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Oh man cant wait for Norris to be back. The fact that we are playing our best hockey even in absence of our 1B centre… we are gunna be so good next year it blows my mind
Norris is probably a 2C on a playoff team....not a 1b ...Hopefully he continues to develop though might be hard with the time missed

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Norris is probably a 2C on a playoff team....not a 1b ...Hopefully he continues to develop though might be hard with the time missed
I added commentary in another thread but wanted to add some context here as I am not sure you appreciate what Norris has done at a young age (and yes, with significant time missed).

Last season he played 66 games and finished in C rankings as follows:

33rd in P/PG (I removed 5 players who had 10 games or less ranked ahead of him)
12th in goals (3 behind being 8th with 12 less games played)
2nd in Power Play Goals (behind only Draisaitl)
22nd in Power Play Points (6 away from 8th with 12 less games)

He did all of that while being a #1C, facing the toughest match-ups while playing with other, young, inexperience players.

He is good in the dot, on the PK, has some jam and I think his speed/skating is very under rated as well. He could be the most under rated Senator of all time due to Covid seasons, injuries, etc...

• Love
Reactions: NB613 and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He was on pace for 40 + goals while being good defensively. That's a 1A on some teams and absolutely a 1B. Show me all the 2 C's putting away 40.

Reactions: OD99

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He was on pace for 40 + goals while being good defensively. That's a 1A on some teams and absolutely a 1B. Show me all the 2 C's putting away 40.
I dont consider him a 40 goal scorer until he does it. I want to see him be more than a trigger man on the PP. He needs to be a line driver while being above a PPG for me to consider him a top C for a playoff team. Pretty much what Stuztle is doing right now. Thankfully we have Stuztle so we just need Josh to come play and be avaliable to play on the 2nd line.

Injuries are also concerning in key development years

Anyways Sanderson is awesome and we can continue this convo in the Norris thread

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I dont consider him a 40 goal scorer until he does it. I want to see him be more than a trigger man on the PP. He needs to be a line driver while being above a PPG for me to consider him a top C for a playoff team. Pretty much what Stuztle is doing right now. Thankfully we have Stuztle so we just need Josh to come play and be avaliable to play on the 2nd line.

Injuries are also concerning in key development years

Anyways Sanderson is awesome and we can continue this convo in the Norris thread
Lol…. Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad