TSN: Jake Gardiner or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Advanced Stats

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
A decent top four D with a set of wheels. Probably worth a low 1st.

We'd be very lucky to have a low first turn into a play as good as Gardiner. He's got to be worth at least his draft position (17th OA). But why should he be traded anyway? He's young and good.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Stare-What-GIF.gif

This is literally the perfect GIF for how I feel sometimes when people drop a bunch of advanced stats. I am certainly a proponent of them don't get me wrong but too often I have found myself feeling the exact same way.

MadSnowman42

Jul 23, 2015
Is that all situations, or even-strength? Is it score adjusted? I use naturalstattrick for single game tracking, but the discrepancy is odd considering they all (I believe) scrape the events from NHL's play-by-play tracking.
My bad. Even strength, score adjusted according to war-on-ice: CF%Rel 9.3, FF%Rel 4.9 and SF%Rel 10.4. The remaining difference is negligible. Sorry for the confusion.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
The first comment in this thread was me talking about how underrated he was.

Now all of you understand why trading him for a 2nd rounder was the dumbest thing possible. (Many were suggesting they trade him asap for whatever return possible)

After his breakout season when everyone loved him, including me I had come to dislike him. Just thought he lacked hockey IQ and awareness. But perhaps he was just poorly coached and confused, getting mixed messages and very little support? He has looked really good this season and more determined. Glad we have him.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Gardiner completely blowing his coverage, letting his man walk in for a chance and goal to open the game.

Is there an advanced stat for that?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
In what known universe should a defenceman be between the faceoff dot and hash marks, flat-footed, watching the puck?

All ears.

I said it was more Matthias than Gardiner, not that Gardiner played it perfectly. Matthias had Byfuglien, and then decided to hand him off to no one. Even if Gardiner had been in better position, it was Matthias mistake that created the situation.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Phaneuf loses his man off the face-off, Matthias blows coverage, Gardiner gets a thread bump for the minus.

Heh.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You are good at flaunting ignorance.

Who's ignorant?

I'm totally fine with Gardiner, Matthias, and Phaneuf screwing up collectively.

It was just a single minus-1 Corsi event....

These things happen a hundred times a game, and hey, sometimes a goal happens. Pure coincidence.

I'm moving on, as should you.....

:)

91Kadri91*

:laugh:

Yeah, you know what?

It was just a -1 Corsi event for Gardiner.

Nothing important.

Goals are such rare occurrences that plays like that are just a drop in the bucket.

Who cares, right?

Gardiner has the second best (out of 120 eligible defensemen) GA60RelTM over the last three seasons (2012-15) among defensemen with 2500+ minutes played at even-strength.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Who's ignorant?

I'm totally fine with Gardiner, Matthias, and Phaneuf screwing up collectively.

It was just a single minus-1 Corsi event....

These things happen a hundred times a game, and hey, sometimes a goal happens. Pure coincidence.

I'm moving on, as should you.....

:)

The one who is showing every time it comes up that he has no understanding of this particular subject. Not understanding is ok, so is not being interested in learning. Just can't wrap my head around the flaunting of it though.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Gardiner has the second best (out of 120 eligible defensemen) GA60RelTM over the last three seasons (2012-15) among defensemen with 2500+ minutes played at even-strength.

I'll admit, all the goals against he's directly caused over the years have kind of bugged me, but the GA60Relamacallit you just highlighted here has totally absolved him of all wrong-doing.

I'm pulling for him for the Norris this year.

And waiting on the Leafs 2nd win.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

The one who is showing every time it comes up that he has no understanding of this particular subject. Not understanding is ok, so is not being interested in learning. Just can't wrap my head around the flaunting of it though.

Sorry but the only thing I'm not understanding is why you feel it's ok to insult me.

I told you I'm OK with the poor defensive positioning and subsequent goal against.

It was just ONE SINGLE Corsi event and not meaningful at all.

Holy crap, have you seen the guy's GAGORel™ these days?

This kid is NORRIS CALIBER!

91Kadri91*

I'll admit, all the goals against he's directly caused over the years have kind of bugged me, but the GA60Relamacallit you just highlighted here has totally absolved him of all wrong-doing.

It's very simple, but I'll go very slowly just for you: WHEN GARDINER IS ON THE ICE THE OPPOSING TEAM SCORES LESS OFTEN.

Versteht?

I'm pulling for him for the Norris this year.

Straw Men are fun, aren't they?

And waiting on the Leafs 2nd win.

:laugh:

Check their record, kid.

91Kadri91*

Sorry but the only thing I'm not understanding is why you feel it's ok to insult me.

I told you I'm OK with the poor defensive positioning and subsequent goal against.

Holy crap, have you seen the guy's GAGORel™ these days?

So, to be clear, Corsi, Goals and Scoring Chances don't matter?

That must be what you're saying, because Gardiner is good at preventing all of those variables.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
It's very simple, but I'll go very slowly just for you: WHEN GARDINER IS ON THE ICE THE OPPOSING TEAM SCORES LESS OFTEN.

So despite not turning in a single season in the NHL with a positive even strength goal differential..

You are here suggesting he out-scores the opposition?

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

That must be what you're saying, because Gardiner is good at preventing all of those variables.

I'm starting to think it'll be easier to convince people that its a spooky ghost that follows Gardiner and disruputs scoring opportunities for the other team when he's on the ice. He's still awful and makes mistakes, it just so happens that we allow less goals/shots when he's on the ice.

You know, because of the ghost.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Holy crap, have you seen the guy's GAGORelâ„¢ these days?

I'm not insulting you. I'm describing what you are doing, again in this post. Not sure why you are doing this to yourself.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

If I placed any meaning in these internet blog numbers that you completely rely on to form an opinion, I might give it a second look.

But unfortunately, they don't mean much at the end of the day.

Cute attempt to encapsulate a game of hockey in a simplified way, but sorry, it doesn't pass the smell test.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad