Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
I would move on from DeBrusk just because I think he is going to sign with Edmonton this off season. I take him for what he is, an inconsistent, complimentary scorer. He isn't worth 7 years 6 million.
DeBrusk would probably turn into what we thought he could have been when playing alongside McDavid. As others have pointed out, he needs someone to elevate his game. The Edmonton connection makes too much sense with him. Seems to be a sellers market as well, I think we can fetch a good deal with trading DeBrusk.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
DeBrusk would probably turn into what we thought he could have been when playing alongside McDavid. As others have pointed out, he needs someone to elevate his game. The Edmonton connection makes too much sense with him. Seems to be a sellers market as well, I think we can fetch a good deal with trading DeBrusk.
Edmonton is super tight against the cap with Foegele @ 2.75 as the only 1m+ expiring deal at the end of the year. They are getting hit with a 3.225 million penalty from Connor Brown's deal(0-4-4 in 44 games, ouch). I don't think they will be big buyers in FA. They will have to get creative just to get complaint.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I would move on from DeBrusk just because I think he is going to sign with Edmonton this off season. I take him for what he is, an inconsistent, complimentary scorer. He isn't worth 7 years 6 million.

I'll always root for the guy to "get it right". He's an amazing talent. A perpetual underachiever. Someone who seems like a good guy, but with mental struggles that he seemingly can't overcome. I have empathy there. My head hasn't always been on straight either.

But holy hell. Thinking about ponying up a 7 year/6 million contract for him is insane. Is that seriously what he's going to get? I don't even see how the most optimistic GM could hand out such a contract.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
My worry is Cam and Sweeney won’t want to admit to any more defeat in the 2015 draft and sign Jake to a ridiculous extension.
I don't think it's that. Neely essentially admitted that they were all high on bath salts when they put that list together. I'm kidding, obviously, but in 2021 he said that he knows they royally screwed up that first round and that he thought about that draft a lot. He said they didn't take a timeout and digest the list before they hit the draft floor. It sounds like they weren't prepared, which is on Sweeney, Gretzky, and Malkoc.

Sweeney said that whole draft weekend was a steep learning curve, which I took to mean that they did a terrible job of preparing for the draft and he didn't really question the scouts as to why they were probably the only team in the league that had DeBrusk and Senyshyn above Barzal and Connor on their draft list.

I do think Sweeney has an attachment to Jake, though. Friedman mentioned a few years ago that Brad Treliving was reluctant to move Sam Bennett for a few years because Bennett was his first draft pick as GM and he had an attachment to the player. Granted, Jake wasn't Sweeney's first draft pick as GM, but he was in his first draft. Sweeney has bent over backwards to keep Jake on the roster and happy, whether it was not exposing him to Seattle, not trading him when his stock was higher, and firing Cassidy because Jake (and other players) didn't like him.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don't think it's that. Neely essentially admitted that they were all high on bath salts when they put that list together. I'm kidding, obviously, but in 2021 he said that he knows they royally screwed up that first round and that he thought about that draft a lot. He said they didn't take a timeout and digest the list before they hit the draft floor. It sounds like they weren't prepared, which is on Sweeney, Gretzky, and Malkoc.

Sweeney said that whole draft weekend was a steep learning curve, which I took to mean that they did a terrible job of preparing for the draft and he didn't really question the scouts as to why they were probably the only team in the league that had DeBrusk and Senyshyn above Barzal and Connor on their draft list.

I do think Sweeney has an attachment to Jake, though. Friedman mentioned a few years ago that Brad Treliving was reluctant to move Sam Bennett for a few years because Bennett was his first draft pick as GM and he had an attachment to the player. Granted, Jake wasn't Sweeney's first draft pick as GM, but he was in his first draft. Sweeney has bent over backwards to keep Jake on the roster and happy, whether it was not exposing him to Seattle, not trading him when his stock was higher, and firing Cassidy because Jake (and other players) didn't like him.
Expose him to Seattle? Come on.

Jake's issue wasn't with Cassidy - it was with Sweeney for signing Hall over him. Jake didn't get Cassidy fired.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

I think Jake was unhappy he was going to be the 3LW with Coyle and whomever and it would affect his overall earnings potential on his new deal.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Expose him to Seattle? Come on.

Jake's issue wasn't with Cassidy - it was with Sweeney for signing Hall over him. Jake didn't get Cassidy fired.
Im not sure I follow here. How did he sign Hall over him when:

1) Hall was a trade
2) He re-signed both of them

Maybe just the wording tripping me up?

Either way, if he was mad at the GM for doing his job and grabbing Hall then maybe Jake has some issues with blocking outside noise and playing his game. It might be prudent to move on just based on that, makes him sound like a mental midget.

Reactions: Bodit9 and lopey

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

The dancing around the question for a what ended up being a no comment was telling.

I don’t think Debrusk got Cassidy fired, but his beef was definitely with Cassidy not Sweeney. Icing on the cake was right after Cassidy was fired, Jake rescinded his trade request.

Reactions: lopey

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I think Jake was unhappy he was going to be the 3LW with Coyle and whomever and it would affect his overall earnings potential on his new deal.
Could be, but he is a player Montgomery has continuously played in the top 6 all season and sees him as a goal scorer. DeBrusk still isn't producing, and if he thought playing on the 3rd line was going to affect his overall earnings on his new deal, his recent play and lack of production most definitely will.

DeBrusk being a permanent fixture in the top 6 would benefit the Bruins and DeBrusk. The issue right now is he is just too inconsistent for that position. He plays his best when he goes to the dirty areas and attacks the net. When he's playing on the perimeter, he's a 3rd liner.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Any time I see pro sports front offices portrayed either fictionally or in their real-life settings, I can’t believe how informal and loosey goosey it all seems. Surely, it can’t just be 8 old white guys in a room giving their visceral reaction on things in order to make big decisions, I think.

I’m sure there’s plenty we don’t see. And I am positive there’s more going on than meets the eye in a 45 second TV spot. But I think it’s a lot more on a whim than it should be or anyone wants to believe. There’s a reason FO’s have started hiring young analytics minds like crazy, and I think it’s because owners have realized what a difference it makes for people to actually do work and seek objective clarity rather than a bunch of overly confident people sitting around a big executive table shooting the shit.

That was always the vibe I got when we peered in to Chiarielli’s FO and perhaps that environmental carried through to things like the 2015 draft.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Could be, but he is a player Montgomery has continuously played in the top 6 all season and sees him as a goal scorer. DeBrusk still isn't producing, and if he thought playing on the 3rd line was going to affect his overall earnings on his new deal, his recent play and lack of production most definitely will.

DeBrusk being a permanent fixture in the top 6 would benefit the Bruins and DeBrusk. The issue right now is he is just too inconsistent for that position. He plays his best when he goes to the dirty areas and attacks the net. When he's playing on the perimeter, he's a 3rd liner.
Not disagreeing, but I would add that when he plays to his strengths (skating, tenacity on the puck, attacking the net) he is a very valuable top six forward.
However, when he gets away from that and becomes invisible, you could argue the 3rd line has better options and he might as well be a healthy scratch.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Any time I see pro sports front offices portrayed either fictionally or in their real-life settings, I can’t believe how informal and loosey goosey it all seems. Surely, it can’t just be 8 old white guys in a room giving their visceral reaction on things in order to make big decisions, I think.

I’m sure there’s plenty we don’t see. And I am positive there’s more going on than meets the eye in a 45 second TV spot. But I think it’s a lot more on a whim than it should be or anyone wants to believe. There’s a reason FO’s have started hiring young analytics minds like crazy, and I think it’s because owners have realized what a difference it makes for people to actually do work and seek objective clarity rather than a bunch of overly confident people sitting around a big executive table shooting the shit.

That was always the vibe I got when we peered in to Chiarielli’s FO and perhaps that environmental carried through to things like the 2015 draft.
Apparently it can and did as evidenced by "If Seguin gives us half of Kane....."

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

Somehow Sweeney was very instrumental in Pastrnak's selection yet defered alot to Gretzky who absolutely screwed him on Senyshyn. Sweeney clearly wanted to trade down, but Gretzky talked him out of it.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Somehow Sweeney was very instrumental in Pastrnak's selection yet defered alot to Gretzky who absolutely screwed him on Senyshyn. Sweeney clearly wanted to trade down, but Gretzky talked him out of it.
Apparently Dean Malkoc was the mastermind behind the Bruins 3 1st round picks and was the biggest advocate for Senyshyn. Unfortunately, Malkoc is still employed and is one of the team's top scouts. He used to play for the Bruins and he and Sweeney were teammates.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Meh idk. Jake is younger - closer to the core age of pasta and McAvoy. Hall wasn't exactly lighting the lamp last year either.

Oh there are definitely good arguments to keeping JDB over Hall, but I just like Hall better as a player and thought he was a good fit on the team.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

The year they took Pasta Sweeney was in charge of player development and was actively involved.

He then took over the Providence Bruins as their GM and you would assume would have been less involved in draft stuff and not flying off to look at OHL games.

He then took over as the Boston GM weeks before the draft.

He probably should have questioned Gretzky and Malkoc more but like that draft team did just get the steal of the draft in Pasta the year before.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Rarely has any of the mediocre flotsam and jetsam they call wingers up in Edmonton have done well when paired next to McDavid. The only one who has seemed to pan out is Zach Hyman. Other than that? Dud after dud after dud. Athanasiou, dud. Kassian, dud. Puljujarvi, dud. Yamamoto, dud. Chiasson, dud. Rierder, dud. The lack of depth on the wings is why they have to put Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Leon Draisaitl on the same line as McDavid, which is at the cost of their center depth and why guys like Juhar Khaira, a washed Sam Gagner, and Ryan McLeod among others have had to play center on the second and third line when they don't belong there. DeBrusk would be a minor upgrade, but not by much.

Reactions: lopey

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
He has one goal in what 9 games? ....Value for a trade going up?
If you were a scout and watched that game especially the first period you saw a complete skillset intersecting with high hockey IQ

However, he is inconsistent and motivated turns the compete dial from idling to running fast (I’m visualizing my snow blower here)

He is what he is

if I’m the GM of Edmonton I tell/joke with Louie his dad to tell Jake he’s a UFA we are coming for him

Unfortunately I don’t like Edmonton roster past about 5 guys (don’t give me RNH, I’m not up for 4 years of a guaranteed HFB whipping boy) one thing I’m certain is RNH and Boston Bruins fans are a bad matchup

DeBrusk I’m still sitting on 6/40 he’s got chemistry with Pastrnak & Zacha but he needs to stop being George Harrison and bust out he’s certainly capable of

DeBrusk has the speed & brains to play with McDavid

He’s a maddening player - frustrating and to often is idling but I still sign him if he takes 6/40

I think he’s untradeable though if you want him long term when he’s got Edmonton out there

Babajingo

I'm torn. He's way too inconsistent to take up a top 6 spot but they really don't have anyone that can replace him. If he plays like last night in the POs, that's great. If he is a ghost, thats real bad.

I say, ride this season out and hope he shows up in the POs. It's worth the risk.
The risk is worth more than anything you would get in a trade.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If you were a scout and watched that game especially the first period you saw a complete skillset intersecting with high hockey IQ

However, he is inconsistent and motivated turns the compete dial from idling to running fast (I’m visualizing my snow blower here)

He is what he is

if I’m the GM of Edmonton I tell/joke with Louie his dad to tell Jake he’s a UFA we are coming for him

Unfortunately I don’t like Edmonton roster past about 5 guys (don’t give me RNH, I’m not up for 4 years of a guaranteed HFB whipping boy) one thing I’m certain is RNH and Boston Bruins fans are a bad matchup

DeBrusk I’m still sitting on 6/40 he’s got chemistry with Pastrnak & Zacha but he needs to stop being George Harrison and bust out he’s certainly capable of

DeBrusk has the speed & brains to play with McDavid

He’s a maddening player - frustrating and to often is idling but I still sign him if he takes 6/40

I think he’s untradeable though if you want him long term when he’s got Edmonton out there
I honestly think JDB needs a sports psychologist. He was moving last night and, as you say, when he's going he's impressive and ticks a lot of boxes.

However you never know when the switch is going to be on and when it's not. And I don't think it's lazy or bad habits either. I think there is constant noise in his head. His interview the other day just oozed it...

Reactions: DKH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad