Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
He has one goal in what 9 games? ....Value for a trade going up?
If they can not sign him and trade him I naturally go to Edmonton

I want Dylan Holloway

His career has stalled and their are questions but if you hit here he will be loved

The other guy I like if RD Beau Akey- he’s a smaller skilled D but he’s a player. He is out for year in OHL but he will be a heck of an NHL player to me

Holloway or sign

Reactions: Ladyfan

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I honestly think JDB needs a sports psychologist. He was moving last night and, as you say, when he's going he's impressive and ticks a lot of boxes.

However you never know when the switch is going to be on and when it's not. And I don't think it's lazy or bad habits either. I think there is constant noise in his head. His interview the other day just oozed it...
I agree - most of us could or have

I’m one of his biggest fans here but even I want more and more consistency

if he’s not signing at a contract in line as a middle 6 then I call up Edmonton

His age, style, and personality would fit well there

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
sign and trade to Calgary or Edmonton ...kid needs to be close to home to reach his potential....seems pretty obvious to me...Calgary might be the best place as he might not enjoy the pressure of Edmonton

Reactions: MoffatMan

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
sign and trade to Calgary or Edmonton ...kid needs to be close to home to reach his potential....seems pretty obvious to me...Calgary might be the best place as he might not enjoy the pressure of Edmonton

Why do the Bruins care if Debrusk reaches his potential with another team or not?

Honestly if that is true (he'll only reach his potential playing hockey in the province of Alberta) I want him gone this afternoon. Who wants a player who will only reach his full potential playing in one specific place on Earth?

Edmonton doesn't want or need him anyways.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Why do the Bruins care if Debrusk reaches his potential with another team or not?

Honestly if that is true (he'll only reach his potential playing hockey in the province of Alberta) I want him gone this afternoon. Who wants a player who will only reach his full potential playing in one specific place on Earth?

Edmonton doesn't want or need him anyways.
That's exactly why I don't want him anymore. IMO he's a sensitive creature that will do better closer to family...not what I'd call a professional/mercenary type who would thrive regardless of the situation. Nothing wrong with being a sensitive creature ..it is who he is

Edited to add he would likely only do a sign and trade to Alberta and Calgary is doing a fire sale ...seems like a good trade partner for him .... I could be completely wrong but that's how I see it and he does hold some leverage entering UFA

Last edited:

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Loved his play last night. You can tell when his game is on because he uses speed to drive the play wide and challenge defensemen. Haven’t seen that from him in a bit.

But the fact that again, this is so noticeable, is because far too often we don’t get this from him. If we had the pieces around Debrusk he could compliment, I’d say sign him ASAP. As it stands, not only do we not have these pieces, but the money it takes to sign him hinder your ability to go get those pieces.

If you think this place is brutal and that the pressure is getting to Debrusk, imagine when he’s paid 6m+ and goes nearly 10 games without a point while being a -5.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

NeelyDan

Owned by Alicat, Ladyfan and caz16
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Loved his play last night. You can tell when his game is on because he uses speed to drive the play wide and challenge defensemen. Haven’t seen that from him in a bit.

But the fact that again, this is so noticeable, is because far too often we don’t get this from him. If we had the pieces around Debrusk he could compliment, I’d say sign him ASAP. As it stands, not only do we not have these pieces, but the money it takes to sign him hinder your ability to go get those pieces.

If you think this place is brutal and that the pressure is getting to Debrusk, imagine when he’s paid 6m+ and goes nearly 10 games without a point while being a -5.
I never thought about this - this kid will absolutely melt down under the pressure of a higher salary

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That's exactly why I don't want him anymore. IMO he's a sensitive creature that will do better closer to family...not what I'd call a professional/mercenary type who would thrive regardless of the situation. Nothing wrong with being a sensitive creature ..it is who he is

Edited to add he would likely only do a sign and trade to Alberta and Calgary is doing a fire sale ...seems like a good trade partner for him .... I could be completely wrong but that's how I see it and he does hold some leverage entering UFA

I could see him ending up in Calgary. They are doing the whole "rebuild on the fly" so I can see them interested in Debrusk both via trade and as a UFA.

With Edmonton's cap issues and with McDavid and Draisaitl needing new contracts very soon (and Bouchard) , it would blow me away to see them invest in another winger for 6-8 years at 6 million per or more. They look fine at the wing position now and moving forward.

Reactions: Guelph Bruin

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
games like that just prove that it's purely an effort issue with him. that's not someone you give $7m a year to

I’ve always felt the issue is between the ears with him. Someone who has problems shutting out the noise around him and just playing hockey. Easier said than done but those players tend to do better in smaller markets.

Reactions: Number8 and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I’ve always felt the issue is between the ears with him. Someone who has problems shutting out the noise around him and just playing hockey. Easier said than done but those players tend to do better in smaller markets.
That has always been a concern with him. @Colt.45Orr has been vocal about it since he was drafted.

I'd love for him to be a reliable, consistent player but after 7 year+ in Boston, I think it is time to cut bait with him.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
If you were a scout and watched that game especially the first period you saw a complete skillset intersecting with high hockey IQ

However, he is inconsistent and motivated turns the compete dial from idling to running fast (I’m visualizing my snow blower here)

He is what he is

if I’m the GM of Edmonton I tell/joke with Louie his dad to tell Jake he’s a UFA we are coming for him

Unfortunately I don’t like Edmonton roster past about 5 guys (don’t give me RNH, I’m not up for 4 years of a guaranteed HFB whipping boy) one thing I’m certain is RNH and Boston Bruins fans are a bad matchup

DeBrusk I’m still sitting on 6/40 he’s got chemistry with Pastrnak & Zacha but he needs to stop being George Harrison and bust out he’s certainly capable of

DeBrusk has the speed & brains to play with McDavid

He’s a maddening player - frustrating and to often is idling but I still sign him if he takes 6/40

I think he’s untradeable though if you want him long term when he’s got Edmonton out there
All thing must pass

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I would say he's without question the most mentally weak one on the roster.

He's also top 5% most physically gifted.

That makes him a frustrating player for sure. And we won't list who they passed over for him, HAHA
I don't agree.

I do agree he is frustrating. It is too bad because sometimes he looks good. All players have slumps but....

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I think he is holding Pasta and Zacha down.

They've played a total of 4 games together on that line.

Stats say otherwise.

Zacha
Screenshot_20240222_145859_Chrome.jpg

Pasta
Screenshot_20240222_145928_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad