Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He has always been the same guy going back to Red Deere.

I've always advocated for trading him as soon as he's In the middle of a hot streak because he's the most predictable Player in the world -every hot streak is followed by a longer cold one.

I gave Sweeney credit for not traddng him when he demanded a trade because JDB has brought his value up -- but it's past time to move him.

He had that nice run for about a year and a half playing mostly with 63 and 37. But did any winger ever look bad playing with those two guys?

At 27 I think we know what he is now. A half-a-ppg winger with his own style which isn't necessarily a good thing.

Donny's gonna have to make a good old fashioned hockey trade methinks to really improve this team. I have a hard time seeing how he does that without including Debrusk. I'm fine with that.

Me, I'd be calling Craig Conroy all day trying to see how to make a Hanifin-Debrusk trade work.

Reactions: lopey and Ladyfan

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Bold: I never thought you would bring those words together....

Why not? Because I said I wanted to move on from a late 30s bergeron/krejci and I didnt think the team would have a major drop off when they left?

Bergeron was breaking down physically every year for the past few years. Had nothing to do with his career as a player. He just couldn’t make to the playoffs due to recurring groin issues, the elbow issue which required surgery and then the last year his back. He was breaking down and krejci wasn’t himself either.

Also as much heat as I took, I was absolutely right that the team wouldn’t have a major drop off. And I stand by the fact they should have moved on earlier. Instead we wasted two firsts and $4.5m in cap on a first round exit team.

That whole scenario played out exactly as I’ve been saying it would for years.

This years team would be much better off if they moved on earlier. Unfortunately now this team is being held back because of it.

As for Jake he will never see linemates like that again.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Why not? Because I said I wanted to move on from a late 30s bergeron/krejci and I didnt think the team would have a major drop off when they left?

Bergeron was breaking down physically every year for the past few years. Had nothing to do with his career as a player. He just couldn’t make to the playoffs due to recurring groin issues, the elbow issue which required surgery and then the last year his back. He was breaking down and krejci wasn’t himself either.

Also as much heat as I took, I was absolutely right that the team wouldn’t have a major drop off. And I stand by the fact they should have moved on earlier. Instead we wasted two firsts and $4.5m in cap on a first round exit team.

1) That whole scenario played out exactly as I’ve been saying it would for years.

2) This years team would be much better off if they moved on earlier. Unfortunately now this team is being held back because of it.

As for Jake he will never see linemates like that again.
1) maybe and hope so...but let time pass before pretending you were correct.
2) you are pretty confident in yourself. .....history is full of people who thought they were correct but were not!

• Haha
Reactions: UncleRico

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
1) maybe and hope so...but let time pass before pretending you were correct.
2) you are pretty confident in yourself. .....history is full of people who thought they were correct but were not!

Do you have a point or did you just come in here to call everyone a hater for talking about Debrusk. Then when everyone called out your misinterpretation you pivot to make this about bergy in a Debrusk thread.

What is your point for bringing up bergy and my view of him as a hall of famer and how does it tie into a thread about Debrusk?

Last edited:
Reactions: lopey

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
JDB, despite being here for a long time, has never gotten a proper nickname in Boston --like a "Pasta" or "Marchy" or "Lone Wolf". Calling him "DeBust" is silly as he's actually a pretty good player.

I believe he should go by the handle of "The Zookeeper" because he spends half of every season trying to get the monkey off his back.

Thoughts?
We all agree?
Done.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Great win but once again a total passenger today. Invisible.
I don't think he was a passenger at all. I mean shit, you could of said that about the entire team minus the 3rd and 4th line until Padta scored.

I think there was some good passing there.

Hopefully this win propels the team going forward and the JDB,Zacha,Pasta line gets going.

Though lest we forget that Jake was catching fire with Marchy and Coyle after Christmas and then was taken off off that line.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
When the physicality rises up Jake is gone. He got pushed around today and lost almost every puck battle. I am done with his scoring slumps and inconsent play. He is not part of the core and leadership. No way I give him an longterm contract, even less one that pays him more than 6 million per year. His cap can be used more useful. Trade him

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think he’s gone at the deadline.

When the physicality rises up Jake is gone. He got pushed around today and lost almost every puck battle. I am done with his scoring slumps and inconsent play. He is not part of the core and leadership. No way I give him an longterm contract, even less one that pays him more than 6 million per year. His cap can be used more useful. Trade him
Which sucks because when I look back to that series against Toronto, he almost had a bit of “rat” in him. He was everywhere.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
I think he’s gone at the deadline.

Which sucks because when I look back to that series against Toronto, he almost had a bit of “rat” in him. He was everywhere.

Unfortunately I think he will stay and will be extended as Sweeney has showed that he is in love with his longtime players ...

The Jake before that Kadri hit was totally different. He was fast and fearless.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
During the 2nd intermission, Beers said JDB contributes a lot when he’s not scoring.

Anyway.

What does a 2nd line wing reasonable produce offensively?

What does their cap hit look like?

Who are JDB’s comparables?

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
During the 2nd intermission, Beers said JDB contributes a lot when he’s not scoring.

Anyway.

I love Beers going back to his playing days and think he's a great analyst, but uh, how is that now?

Reactions: Alicat

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Guy on the Dallas board had a good point I thought. Said they miss when the shootouts were new (I know most misswhen the shootout didnt exist lol, but. . .) because players would try creative plays and now it's largely the same try/shot repeated.

Edit: oops I thought I was on the post-game thread.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Guy on the Dallas board had a good point I thought. Said they miss when the shootouts were new (I know most misswhen the shootout didnt exist lol, but. . .) because players would try creative plays and now it's largely the same try/shot repeated.

Edit: oops I thought I was on the post-game thread.
Is there a post-game thread? Link?

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Anyway.

The distinction between genuine first line and second line players is not always clear. But I think if you are looking at the guys who are more truly 2nd line or even the upper end of ‘middle six’ wingers, the very top end of their point tallies for a full 82-game season is probably around 70 points, with a lower end of about 45. Probably if you’re at least in the 50s, or around that .650-700 PPG mark, then you’re doing a decent enough job as a 2LW/RW. DeBrusk’s currently on a .463 pace, which isn’t good enough, and for his career he’s .572. That’s not terrible, but it’s not setting the world on fire nor does it compare favorably with the better 2nd line guys.

In terms of money again it’s a pretty broad band. Can go as high as $7m, down to $3.5. If you look at the .600 guys with at least somewhat similar ages, Vrana’s on $5.25, Compher $5.1, Zucker $5.3, Iafallo $4, Mikheyev $4.75, Bertuzzi $5.5, Bunting $4.5, Crouse $4.3, Fabbri $4, Garland $4.95. Something around $5m p.a., depending on term, is probably around the ballpark average then. If DeBrusk had kept his form from last year he could easily command more than that, but right now, I’m not seeing it.

Personally I don’t think DeBrusk’s earned a higher value, long-term deal. He has talent but his form and production have always been too streaky to be reliable and his operating window is too narrow. I think his compete level is mostly fine enough and he’s not afraid to do some grunt work and fill a role that may be less glamorous when the coach requires it. In that sense he’s at least somewhat adaptable and his contribution away from the scoreboard is not negligible. But it’s not enough to make up for his overall sketchy production.

If the Bruins were to offer him 4-5 years at sub $5m p.a. I could live with it. More than that no thanks. My preference though is to trade him. Nice guy, no major complaints about him, but simply not consistent enough and too ‘vanilla’ to be a player I want to keep long-term. I think we’ve seen more than enough now to conclude that Jake is a serviceable top 6 winger but not more than that, and I’d like to see Boston aim higher and try someone else. And that’s the next part of the equation. You let him go, fine, but there has to be a good replacement in mind. Marchand is heading towards the end which leaves Pasta and Zacha as the team’s only legit top 6 wingers heading into the future, should Pavel return to that role. Maybe Lysell will get there in time, but that’s pure assumption at present, and there’s not much else in the cupboard. So there’s definitely a need to inject more top forward talent, and if a guy like DeBrusk is replaceable enough, they’re not dime-a-dozen either. Sweeney’s going to need to get it right if he goes shopping in the offseason or at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad