Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I like JDB. I do think the bold part is a good resume of what might be part of JDB problem. That said, I do beleive some here feeling good need to hate and complain on players and JDB seem to be a nice target for most.
For me it’s not hate, I’d like to see him succeed. The issue is he’s an UFA who wants a big contract. You either give it to him, of lose him for nothing. This team cant afford to just let him walk. I’m skeptical of him living up to a big contract.

Donny hockey has a big decision to make.

Reactions: lopey and Ladyfan

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I like DeBrusk more than Hyman. More complete & versatile to me. No brainer DeBrusk I take over Hyman - give Jake McDavid, Draisaitl, and Bouchard he’s 50 and a 100 the way Hodge was with 4 and 7

Reminds me of watching Bucyk, McKenzie, Westfall, Cashman, etc increase their production from 50-100% once Esposito and Orr arrived.

Or the Warren Young’s with Lemieux or our former Bruins Mike Krushnelynski gerring 43 goals playing wing with Gretzky

Hyman is a good 5-9 forward but you are way overrating him and underestimating Jake
Too bad the Bruins don't have McDavid and Company. Next year though, just maybe, Jake might have them.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I don't think anyone hates him. That would be silly. Every fan I know hopes he gets going. He seems like a nice enough guy, but I want what is best for the Bruins.

Fact is he is not producing...at all. Most players go through a funk, but it (IMO) happens too often and for too many games with Jake. I hope he gets a hat trick tomorrow!
I think you are right, I don't believe any true hockey fan hates this kid, I know I don't, but I believe fans have pulled for this kid for so long and with his roller coaster production that enough frustration has filled in that it is time. I hate the negative talk bugs me because I think you are right he seems like a nice enough kid, but maybe it is time........

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Too bad the Bruins don't have McDavid and Company., Next though, just maybe, Jake might have them.
I would love to see DeBrusk in Edmonton tear it up

Give me so much material

• Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
For me it’s not hate, I’d like to see him succeed. The issue is he’s an UFA who wants a big contract. You either give it to him, of lose him for nothing. This team cant afford to just let him walk. I’m skeptical of him living up to a big contract.

Donny hockey has a big decision to make.
^This exactly

Reactions: caz16

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The Oilers are quite rich at the Center position and wonder what it would take to land Nugent-Hopkins. Oilers are avidly looking for D help, factor in local boy DeBrusk and I wonder if there's something to be done there.
Age and contract is a turn off for me, and the riding shotgun with McDavid needs to be taken into account. Maybe the Bruins should be looking at someone like Jack McBain from Arizona.

Reactions: lopey

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Age and contract is a turn off for me, and the riding shotgun with McDavid needs to be taken into account. Maybe the Bruins should be looking at someone like Jack McBain from Arizona.

150 points since the start of last year at 5 million per and that contract is a turn off?

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I wonder if we could see something like Debrusk, Forbort or Gryz, plus other assets with Hanifan and Coleman coming back. It was down to Boston and Calgary for Coleman supposedly when he was a free agent. I trust Evan Gold can work some magic to make it happen. Hanifan signs here. Debrusk reups in Calgary being home in Alberta. Could be something.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
19 days till deadline

JD74 signed last extension that day

1. Trade for Hanifin
2. Debrusk extension 6/40 March 8th
3. Call up Beecher, Lohrei, and Lysell if not included in NH55 deal March 9th

Lets roll Donny !!!!!!

Reactions: Absurdity

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
And an asshole for the fourth line.
True - ok well said

I’ll amend but you are bang on

Steen is a half a foot shorter then Beecher

Beecher is 61% in dot over a significant number of games

The fake tough Blues showed us you don’t have to fight just be 6’3 with a long reach, keep your gloves on push and say bad words

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Here’s some facts for you using the 4 year stretch from your post.

Among forwards over the past 4 years Debrusk is 150th in points.

Now if we look at the list of nhl forward salaries. The 151st highest forward salary is $4.5m.

Of course there is more than just points and the salary cap is finally increasing. Two aspects that will help Debrusk here.

However even if we combine his defensive effort and factor in the cap increase and jump him up a very generous 50 spots to 100th highest paid forward.

That’s still $5.5m.

Debrusk should make somewhere around $5m AAV if we compare him to the average of his peers.

Any notion of him making more than $5.5m a season on his next contract is beyond absurd.

Problem is he’s 76th in goals scoring over the past 3 years(58th at ES) and those goals are what get you paid. The 76th highest paid forward is currently 6.25. With the rising cap and probably more important than his two way play, his PO goals( only 11 LWs and 37 forwards with more playoff goals over the past 5 years) I see his market value probably closer to 6.5.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDiesel

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
150 points since the start of last year at 5 million per and that contract is a turn off?
That contract runs until he is 35 years old, and he is not the big physical player that the fans are calling for. I also might add that you did not take in the McDavid effect in his stats. Sorry he is off base for me.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That contract runs until he is 35 years old, and he is not the big physical player that the fans are calling for. I also might add that you did not take in the McDavid effect in his stats. Sorry he is off base for me.

The term is the only concern but even then he's been pretty durable through his career. Even if his production would regress not on a team with McDavid, he's still only making 5 million in a league where guys are getting 10-11 million now. It's not like he's some grinder who McDavid turns into a point producer.

Doesn't matter, he's basically untouchable as far as Edmonton is concerned. He's their 3rd most important forward and his versatility being able to play LW and C allows them to pair up 97 and 29 on the same line as they did yesterday vs. Dallas.

Honestly the concept that RNH or Hyman are just products of McDavid is one of the biggest myths in hockey. Both are excellent players and I'd take either player and their current contracts on the Bruins. This idea that playing with McDavid all his wingers need to do is drive to the net with their stick on the ice and the points will pile up is bullshit.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Problem is he’s 76th in goals scoring over the past 3 years(58th at ES) and those goals are what get you paid. The 76th highest paid forward is currently 6.25. With the rising cap and probably more important than his two way play, his PO goals( only 11 LWs and 37 forwards with more playoff goals over the past 5 years) I see his market value probably closer to 6.5.

Points wise he is 128th over the last three years.

But if you want to measure him on purely goals by all means go for it.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The term is the only concern but even then he's been pretty durable through his career. Even if his production would regress not on a team with McDavid, he's still only making 5 million in a league where guys are getting 10-11 million now. It's not like he's some grinder who McDavid turns into a point producer.

Doesn't matter, he's basically untouchable as far as Edmonton is concerned. He's their 3rd most important forward and his versatility being able to play LW and C allows them to pair up 97 and 29 on the same line as they did yesterday vs. Dallas.

Honestly the concept that RNH or Hyman are just products of McDavid is one of the biggest myths in hockey. Both are excellent players and I'd take either player and their current contracts on the Bruins. This idea that playing with McDavid all his wingers need to do is drive to the net with their stick on the ice and the points will pile up is bullshit.
I am not disagreeing with you that they are not good players, but lets be honest their numbers are a bit padded playing with Mc David. I also do not think the Bruins should going down that road, Edmonton could have made better use of their cap space for goaltending and defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad