Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Well I see this place is their usual rational self after a loss
So they should re sign Jake? Guy is a big part of the recent skid and will be getting a rather lengthy deal. What’s so irrational about calling Jake out and not wanting to extend him? He’s on pace for less than 40 points

Reactions: lopey

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
So they should re sign Jake? Guy is a big part of the recent skid and will be getting a rather lengthy deal. What’s so irrational about calling Jake out and not wanting to extend him? He’s on pace for less than 40 points

Debate tactic. Paint your opponent as irrational and you don’t need to justify your own arguments. Reality is, it’s getting tougher and tougher to defend Debrusk.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Zach Hyman in 2021 signed a 7/38.5 M contract coming off a 33 point season

He’d never scored more then 21 goals and is a one dimensional player

DeBrusk 3 of last 4 seasons 25-27 goals

Kills plays both wings and special teams

I know many of you fine folks hate every Bruins from Pastrnak to Ullmark to Carlo to Coyle - and Marchand was an all time hate magnet at times (first 20 games, slew foot, licking….)

But facts are facts

Be better in 24 it’s not to late to change- embrace 74

#leaveFelgercult

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I know many of you fine folks hate every Bruins from Pastrnak to Ullmark to Carlo to Coyle - and Marchand was an all time hate magnet at times (first 20 games, slew foot, licking….)

But facts are facts

#leaveFelgercult

Here’s some facts for you using the 4 year stretch from your post.

Among forwards over the past 4 years Debrusk is 150th in points.

Now if we look at the list of nhl forward salaries. The 151st highest forward salary is $4.5m.

Of course there is more than just points and the salary cap is finally increasing. Two aspects that will help Debrusk here.

However even if we combine his defensive effort and factor in the cap increase and jump him up a very generous 50 spots to 100th highest paid forward.

That’s still $5.5m.

Debrusk should make somewhere around $5m AAV if we compare him to the average of his peers.

Any notion of him making more than $5.5m a season on his next contract is beyond absurd.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

But facts are facts

#leaveFelgercult

I've always appreciated your takes and respect you greatly as a poster.

But you're being very disingenuous when you start your argument that Hyman was signed to that contract after a 33pts season. 2020-2021 the COVID season was 56 games. Hyman put up 33pts in 43gms putting him on pace for a 27g 34a regular season of 82 games. While I don't like playing the "on pace for" game, the facts are the facts. Should we discuss Debrusk's 14 pts that season?

Delving deeper. Zach Hyman was getting more D-Zone starts in Toronto than O-Zone starts and has received Selke votes 3 different times. Debrusk just started getting more D-Zone starts this year but still starts in the O-Zone a little over 50% of the time which is likely due to the fact that he's not a scoring threat most nights. And not to keep tab but has never received any Selke votes. SHTOI/GP since they've both been in the league: Debrusk 0:39/gm, Hyman 1:49/gm. SHG Debrusk 2, Hyman 7.

What we're seeing with Hyman is a guy who broke into the league as a middle sixer playing a more defensive role who found his scoring touch and now got a contract based on his blossoming offence. What we're seeing with Debrusk is a player who showed a decent scoring touch early on, needing to rely on his defensive skills to remain useful to his team because some years the offense dries up. Debrusk is still a useful player but he's not Hyman and shouldn't be paid like Hyman.

NeelyDan

Owned by Alicat, Ladyfan and caz16
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Debrusk is out here battling with geekie for 7th among forwards on the team in points and some people want to give him top 2/3 winger money lol

I mean, Rico is amongst the most controversial posters we have - but - can someone please explain to me, using facts and data vs feelings and potential, why he’s wrong?

Reactions: badbrewin

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
I mean, Rico is amongst the most controversial posters we have - but - can someone please explain to me, using facts and data vs feelings and potential, why he’s wrong?
He's not wrong. I've defended DB prior to this season but have had enough this season. He has always teased with glimpses of what he could be, but the fact that he's unproductive and inconsistent at 27, when he should be in his prime, tells you all you need to know about his never ending long stretches of mental lapses. People will argue that his 2-way game has improved, but you know what, you can go out and get another 38 point run rate player for way less than what DB thinks his next contract should look like.

He should be part of the package that nets us a C.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Debate tactic. Paint your opponent as irrational and you don’t need to justify your own arguments. Reality is, it’s getting tougher and tougher to defend Debrusk.
Love how you encapsulated the “debate tactic”. Not saying the poster did or didn’t use it, I didn’t pay attention, but you nailed one of the biggest tactics folks use these days, especially in political discussions. That’s an answering a criticism by saying “well you did this…”. So common. Ok. Carry on lol.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
He's not wrong. I've defended DB prior to this season but have had enough this season. He has always teased with glimpses of what he could be, but the fact that he's unproductive and inconsistent at 27, when he should be in his prime, tells you all you need to know about his never ending long stretches of mental lapses. People will argue that his 2-way game has improved, but you know what, you can go out and get another 38 point run rate player for way less than what DB thinks his next contract should look like.

He should be part of the package that nets us a C.
You might have your finger on the pulse and reading it better than any of us. I who have always for the most part been a Jake guy now must admit it might be time, I think they should at least explore their options......... maybe be part of a bigger deal, not sure how it would work not good at that.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I don’t know how Donny can give this guy a nice long extension at 6 mill plus at this point. They need another scoring winger because the guy that’s supposed to be scoring isn’t. I like Jake, I just don’t love him.

Last edited:

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
have to think the end is near in a b's sweater for debrusk, gryz and forbort.
in june for some, sooner for others.
The Oilers are quite rich at the Center position and wonder what it would take to land Nugent-Hopkins. Oilers are avidly looking for D help, factor in local boy DeBrusk and I wonder if there's something to be done there.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Hyman also plays on a PP with McDavid, Drai, and Nug. You're gonna get points...

He's got 13 of his 50 points on the PP.

Your underrating Hyman. He's a very smart player and is able to read and react off elite players like McDavid or Matthews. He'll likely make Team Canada for that 4 Nations Cup they plan to do. One of the game's elite complimentary players.

Jake Debrusk is the complete opposite of that. Insists on playing his own game regardless of who his linemates are.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The Oilers are quite rich at the Center position and wonder what it would take to land Nugent-Hopkins. Oilers are avidly looking for D help, factor in local boy DeBrusk and I wonder if there's something to be done there.

They use him just as much on the wing as they do center. 3rd in ice time among Oiler forwards. 150+points in his last 130 games. Signed for a sweetheart contract with a NMC at a bit above 5 million. 3rd in all-time games played for the franchise.

I'd go as far as to say RNH is borderline untouchable.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
He's got 13 of his 50 points on the PP.

Your underrating Hyman. He's a very smart player and is able to read and react off elite players like McDavid or Matthews. He'll likely make Team Canada for that 4 Nations Cup they plan to do. One of the game's elite complimentary players.

Jake Debrusk is the complete opposite of that. Insists on playing his own game regardless of who his linemates are.
I like JDB. I do think the bold part is a good resume of what might be part of JDB problem. That said, I do beleive some here feeling good need to hate and complain on players and JDB seem to be a nice target for most.

Reactions: BruinDust

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

But facts are facts

#leaveFelgercult
if debrusk is going to play with mcdavid he may get that. he needs a good center on his line. if hes staying here, i wouldbt pay him more than 4mil.
right now he has no confidence. evident of that easy 3rd period top short side shot he passed up.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I like JDB. I do think the bold part is a good resume of what might be part of JDB problem. That said, I do beleive some here feeling good need to hate and complain on players and JDB seem to be a nice target for most.
I don't think anyone hates him. That would be silly. Every fan I know hopes he gets going. He seems like a nice enough guy, but I want what is best for the Bruins.

Fact is he is not producing...at all. Most players go through a funk, but it (IMO) happens too often and for too many games with Jake. I hope he gets a hat trick tomorrow!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I think he's easily the Bruins most disappointing player this year. He looked poised to have a huge year and even take his production to another level but it hasn't happened. Go back 1-year ago I'd never thought we'd be where we are with this player.

Reactions: Ladyfan

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I've always appreciated your takes and respect you greatly as a poster.

But you're being very disingenuous when you start your argument that Hyman was signed to that contract after a 33pts season. 2020-2021 the COVID season was 56 games. Hyman put up 33pts in 43gms putting him on pace for a 27g 34a regular season of 82 games. While I don't like playing the "on pace for" game, the facts are the facts. Should we discuss Debrusk's 14 pts that season?

Delving deeper. Zach Hyman was getting more D-Zone starts in Toronto than O-Zone starts and has received Selke votes 3 different times. Debrusk just started getting more D-Zone starts this year but still starts in the O-Zone a little over 50% of the time which is likely due to the fact that he's not a scoring threat most nights. And not to keep tab but has never received any Selke votes. SHTOI/GP since they've both been in the league: Debrusk 0:39/gm, Hyman 1:49/gm. SHG Debrusk 2, Hyman 7.

What we're seeing with Hyman is a guy who broke into the league as a middle sixer playing a more defensive role who found his scoring touch and now got a contract based on his blossoming offence. What we're seeing with Debrusk is a player who showed a decent scoring touch early on, needing to rely on his defensive skills to remain useful to his team because some years the offense dries up. Debrusk is still a useful player but he's not Hyman and shouldn't be paid like Hyman.
I like DeBrusk more than Hyman. More complete & versatile to me. No brainer DeBrusk I take over Hyman - give Jake McDavid, Draisaitl, and Bouchard he’s 50 and a 100 the way Hodge was with 4 and 7

Reminds me of watching Bucyk, McKenzie, Westfall, Cashman, etc increase their production from 50-100% once Esposito and Orr arrived.

Or the Warren Young’s with Lemieux or our former Bruins Mike Krushnelynski gerring 43 goals playing wing with Gretzky

Hyman is a good 5-9 forward but you are way overrating him and underestimating Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad