Former Bruins Jake DeBrusk - gone to Nucks

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Let's compare JDB to Trent Frederic. I believe JDB is the better player...

Both players are coming off of nearly identical seasons, points wise:
JDB 19G 21A (80 games played)
TF 18G 22A (82 games played)

Now do a Google search: "Trent Frederic scoring drought"
Then do this search: "Jake Debrusk scoring drought"

The difference in expectations is stark.

Of course playing with a broken hand doesn't help, but people expect more from Jake. His habit of falling into extended scoring droughts is a significant obstacle to reaching his potential.

The question for management is: Do we offer JDB a contract with a number that is partially based on his unrealized potential?

I guarantee with the salary cap going up that there is AT LEAST one NHL team willing to do exactly that.
There is also a PO record in favor of paying DeBrusk. I don't understand how that can be ignored or downplayed.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
There is also a PO record in favor of paying DeBrusk. I don't understand how that can be ignored or downplayed.

Personally I like Jake, and if management finds a way to keep him here I will be happy with that.

However, if I put myself in Jake's shoes I would definitely see what I could get in the UFA market. Salary cap is up, the selection of available free agents is just okay, and Jake has an attractive skill set even if he hasn't lived up to his potential so far.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
How are the other three on the PK?

The points were to show Jake showed up when it counted and wasn’t as bad a pick as people made it out to be. You can argue he was a better all around player than the other three.
The thing with the DeBrusk pick is that he had no business going ahead of Barzal and Connor. He was a vastly inferior player at the time of the draft and he's still a vastly inferior player 9 years later. The sad thing is a lot of people take out their frustrations from that draft out on DeBrusk. It's unfortunate and misguided. That's not Jake's fault, he never should've been selected with any of our 3 picks. It's the fault of Sweeney and the scouting staff.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The thing with the DeBrusk pick is that he had no business going ahead of Barzal and Connor. He was a vastly inferior player at the time of the draft and he's still a vastly inferior player 9 years later. The sad thing is a lot of people take out their frustrations from that draft out on DeBrusk. It's unfortunate and misguided. That's not Jake's fault, he never should've been selected with any of our 3 picks. It's the fault of Sweeney and the scouting staff.

What....and I truly can't stress this enough....THE f***?

Reactions: goldenblack

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
What's the issue? It's 9 years since that draft and DeBrusk is definitely a step below Barzal and Connor. They've played 8 seasons (7 in the NHL and 1 in the AHL for Jake)

A truly incredible response. It's not even that you missed what I am reacting to, it's that you think I'm this f***ing dumb. "I'm not even mad, that's amazing."

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Not all i see him as a complet player 200 foot player and he s fast...Neely want to be faster so why dont Debrusk is not a Bs now...what s the plan to replace him if he goes, any other realistic ufa available this summer as good as the 74 ...at 27?

I'm curious about that as well. If they want fast, they'll have to replace ( assuming they're leaving ) DeBrusk and someone who actually might be a touch faster in Boqvist. Also, as much as his words won me over to the point where I wouldn't mind seeing him back, getting a faster version of Maroon ( Jeannot? ) is in order but that shouldn't be too much trouble since he's literally the slowest skater in the league.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
2015 draft was a massive failure. We all know that. The takeaway: go with overwhelming consensus on first round picks. Your opportunity to be the smartest guys in the room starts at the end of the second round.
Whose consensus is that?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Whose consensus is that?
IMG_4075.jpeg

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
2015 draft was a massive failure. We all know that. The takeaway: go with overwhelming consensus on first round picks. Your opportunity to be the smartest guys in the room starts at the end of the second round.
they went with consensus on the defenseman and ended up with zboril. they reached a little bit for debrusk and he turned out fine.
senyshyn was the real head scratcher and ultimately was a bust.

they did get carlo in round 2, which is easily worth the spot they picked senyshyn in.

2015 sucked, but it's 2024 now. time to move on, just like the seguin trade.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
they went with consensus on the defenseman and ended up with zboril. they reached a little bit for debrusk and he turned out fine.
senyshyn was the real head scratcher and ultimately was a bust.

they did get carlo in round 2, which is easily worth the spot they picked senyshyn in.

2015 sucked, but it's 2024 now. time to move on, just like the seguin trade.
YES Thanks Please let it go

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I'm still pissed they wasted a pick on JFK who made Tyler Ennis look like Bob Probert

• Haha
Reactions: Bodit9

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
There is a particular player who scored 30, 22, 12, 35, 31 goals, then got his new deal two years before Debrusk's next deal. This player got almost 9M.

Now with the cap up, Debrusk is:

27, 19, 5, 25, 27, 19

7M doesn't look so outrageous in that context, with the cap up....

Kind of though. Idk who the other player is, but they scored 31 more goals over that timeframe than debrusk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad