Speculation: Jackets open for business, 4th overall available for right deal

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Can I offer you 11th and Kulich? Maybe a Krebs or Joker too? Just for shits and giggles. Assuming they want a real player for it.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I am guessing a reporter asked someone from the Columbus front office if they would be open to trading the pick and they naturally said "If the right deal comes along" and we've got "news"

In other "news" water is wet

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I too would trade something if I believed I was receiving surplus value in said transaction!

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Time for everyone to vastly underrate the value of a top 4 pick.

7 years of cheap control.

Think superstar. Think your 1C, your superstar winger, or your best dman. with term. Think Elias Pettersson, Brady Tkachuk,

Or, think a proven STUD with bargain control. think Wyatt Johnson, Matthew Boldy

That's because everyone values immediate impact and not the long term game, they can't fathom the thought of 7 years... then next thing they know they're shitting their own pants and wearing depends.

Time flies.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
So if we're following the rumours

Picks 4, 7, 10, 11 and 14 are available now. With their bring talk about pick 3(?) being potentially available for a trade back option.

Crazy....
The reason is available is the same reason as to why teams won't pay exorbitant prices for them.

All the teams probably have a bunch of players ranked not very highly that it's worth the price for an established player, or a bunch of them in a similar tier to where they can get them later.

The picks are available simply because they aren't that valuable (note: in a relative sense - I don't mean that top 5 picks aren't valuable - just that this draft they're a bit less so because of the clumping of prospects or lack of certainty within them - it's not to say that they're not valuable at all)

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
You're dreaming, and totally ignoring the failure rate on top prospects. In this draft in particular, with one sure thing and a bunch of maybes upon which there is no consensus, getting a Tkachuk, or even a Boldy/Byfield is simply not going to happen.

In short, some people overestimate the value of a #4(not top 4)pick.
Again. The value of a pick is not that it's a sure thing.

Is is the upside and cap savings.

3 years of an ELC+4 years of RFA control (that can be turned into 14 years of control at great value if you play it smart).

Compared to 4 years at 8.2 mill for a brady tkachuk for example. If you get even an average pick at that range, those cap savings make them more valuable. If you hit the top end, those bargains are the kind of things that cups are won off.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Viqsi

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The reason is available is the same reason as to why teams won't pay exorbitant prices for them.

All the teams probably have a bunch of players ranked not very highly that it's worth the price for an established player, or a bunch of them in a similar tier to where they can get them later.

The picks are available simply because they aren't that valuable (note: in a relative sense - I don't mean that top 5 picks aren't valuable - just that this draft they're a bit less so because of the clumping of prospects or lack of certainty within them - it's not to say that they're not valuable at all)
Multiple elite superstars have been traded in the cap era. Karlsson, Tkachuk, Eichel, etc.

not once has a top 4 pick been traded

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
why would you put this in my head?

I was having a perfectly calm day. Now I have to think about how this is such a perfect idea that will never happen? 😭
(Hawk fan)

Not so perfect for Columbus. We’d be back to looking to replace Jiricek in our pipeline.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Darnell Nurse is available.

:naughty:
1718999098720.png

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

Think superstar. Think your 1C, your superstar winger, or your best dman. with term. Think Elias Pettersson, Brady Tkachuk,

Or, think a proven STUD with bargain control. think Wyatt Johnson, Matthew Boldy

The list of players picked at #4 the past 30 years is just as ho-hum as it is home-run.

Eyeballing it looks about 50/50.

No GM in the league is betting their career giving up the Prime Asset om their team for a magic bean unless that player has warts or a serious contract dispute.

Twain

Jul 1, 2019
I didn’t really get the sense from the presser that they are in any way looking to trade the pick. It was just that basic sure we listen and in theory could for the absolute right deal. So just GM doing his job and answering calls.

Reactions: CBJx614

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

I absolutely offer Kopitar if needed

Reactions: Regal

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

I’m sorry but nobody is trading a young established star for majic beans. Especially those that are not a top 2 pick.

I understand the cap and control but it’s not happening

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I’m sorry but nobody is trading a young established star for majic beans. Especially those that are not a top 2 pick.

I think he meant the potential that the 4OV has as in what could you draft with it, not the trade value of it.

Reactions: DJB

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Troy Terry seems to be a bit outside of the Zegras/Carlsson/Gauthier/McTavish/Mintyukov/Zellweger/2024 #3OA group in Anaheim. Anything possible there? Seems pretty iffy to me, but I can't think of another possible name.

Columbus adds good player on a reasonable contract. Anaheim adds another name to the group above. Terry has no trade protection for another 10 days.

Reactions: Dog

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Multiple elite superstars have been traded in the cap era. Karlsson, Tkachuk, Eichel, etc.

not once has a top 4 pick been traded

Mainly because the value to the drafting team is almost always higher than what other teams are willing to give up

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Sens offer 7 and 25

We don’t need more picks/prospects

Troy Terry seems to be a bit outside of the Zegras/Carlsson/Gauthier/McTavish/Mintyukov/Zellweger/2024 #3OA group in Anaheim. Anything possible there? Seems pretty iffy to me, but I can't think of another possible name.

Columbus adds good player on a reasonable contract. Anaheim adds another name to the group above. Terry has no trade protection for another 10 days.

I like Terry but I’m not sure if I’d want to acquire him via the #4 pick since we also have an abundance of wingers. Maybe something around Laine/Terry, though.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Teams do that pretty consistently when young stars are traded. And it's usually for magic beans with a lot more risk than 4th overall.

Also pretending a 4th overall pick is "magic beans" is stupid. Use that for late 1sts, sure, fair enough. But not 4th overall.

If 4th overall is "magic beans" surely ottawa is giving away 7th overall.

• Haha
Reactions: Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad