Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Negotiation rights are not sufficient. We need a signed contract.

Even with a signed contract, I don't think there is precedent for it to be worth that much.

LAK letting Ottawa talk to Roy to facilitate a Chychrun trade is the same as trading his rights to Ottawa. It's not worth much historically, and in this scenario they have even more incentive to do it because it ensures they get Chychrun.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
2026 late rounder for his rights, but usually teams only do it if they’re confident they’re an option for the player. New Jersey most likely already talked to Pesce’s agent and they don’t even have his rights.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Greig for McGroarty as a base either 1 for 1, or with one side adding if they aren't of equal value, who says no?

The idea being, McGroarty comes in and plays right away and gives the Senators a 3 year ELC, while Greig only has 1 year left on his.

If you look at our cap, it looks like we have a lot of open space in 2025-2026, but in a best case scenario most of the cap space is already spoken for (Giroux, Ullmark+Backup Goalie, Chychrun traded w/ top 4 RHD taking his place, Pinto, etc).

Unless someone leaves who we don't want to leave, we have no actual money coming off the books between 2024-2025 and 2025-26. Greig will likely get 3M on a bridge deal at minimum.

I am obviously not suggesting we trade Greig in normal circumstances. It's more for the sake of discussion. Do you think McGroarty would be able to play right away? If so, would you make that trade if that was what the Jets asked for?

Reactions: BigRig4

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
So the Sharks didn't qualify Zadina.

I don't think he'll ever become a top 6 forward, but I wouldn't mind signing him a cheap scoring winger for our 3rd line.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
lots of movement on the floor between LA and Ottawa
Were they dancing? What moves?

All kidding aside, I was expecting something to happen from Ottawa Saturday on day 2 of the draft. I expected movement of some assets they don't plan to keep. Surprisingly just draft selections, but that's ok.

Should be an interesting day on Monday, Free Agency, contract extensions, etc... I wonder if the networks will have more TV personalities than the entry draft floor today. It seems to get sillier every year, no longer jumping just between analysts, now they are jumping between 5-6-7 different panels. You get dizzy, need a program just to keep up.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
100% down. I’m in the minority, but I wouldn’t be mad about 7 for Rutger. I think he’s that good and fits in with what we’re building.

If the Jets would do Chychrun for McGroarty, we'd have to do it without even thinking. Our needs are clearly at forward now as the forward group is getting weaker by the minute with Giroux aging, Formenton self destroying his career and Norris health problems.

McGroarty is a bulldog too, exactly the type of player we need to target.

They have that really good KHL defenceman coming over that can slot in for Pesce I think

He's a LHD though but yeah Nikishin is going to be ridiculously good

Greig for McGroarty as a base either 1 for 1, or with one side adding if they aren't of equal value, who says no?

We need to add McGroarty, not subtract Greig to add him. Greig is untouchable for me. If they trade him, I'd lose a lot of faith in a new management

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy and Icelevel

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Not that it would happen - but I wonder if Chychrun and Joseph for Trouba is an option that could work for both teams.

Then sign Duhaime, Skinner and someone like Lomberg/Labanc if UFA.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No chychrun figured out how to never get hurt. Never go within 5 feet of any opponent
Lol Touche.

So the Sharks didn't qualify Zadina.

I don't think he'll ever become a top 6 forward, but I wouldn't mind signing him a cheap scoring winger for our 3rd line.
So you're hating on everything management is doing and want to sign Zadina? Hahaha. Soft as butter player when this team needs to get harder to play against. Wild.

The idea being, McGroarty comes in and plays right away and gives the Senators a 3 year ELC, while Greig only has 1 year left on his.

If you look at our cap, it looks like we have a lot of open space in 2025-2026, but in a best case scenario most of the cap space is already spoken for (Giroux, Ullmark+Backup Goalie, Chychrun traded w/ top 4 RHD taking his place, Pinto, etc).

Unless someone leaves who we don't want to leave, we have no actual money coming off the books between 2024-2025 and 2025-26. Greig will likely get 3M on a bridge deal at minimum.

I am obviously not suggesting we trade Greig in normal circumstances. It's more for the sake of discussion. Do you think McGroarty would be able to play right away? If so, would you make that trade if that was what the Jets asked for?
I know you try and get creative but stop trying to trade all of this teams good players for bad value.

They need 2 more Greigs. He's way more proven and one of the few players this team has up front that is hard to play against.

I would do chychrun for McGroarty but I don't think they do that without an extension. Don't see Florida boy Chychrun extending in Winnipeg.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Glad I missed the last 27 hours. Not a lot of happy faces in here. Draft disappointment followed by teams around us improving while our team strikes out over and over again.

Oh to be a Sens fan. Certainly not easy this time of year.

Relax, there are always strong opinions on draft day….Back in 2018 a lot of people in this forum had their heads on fire because the Sens passed on Zadina….. and took some other guy instead…… the Sharks just passed on giving Zadina a QO, and the guy Dorion selected is still playing in Ottawa.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Relax, there are always strong opinions on draft day….Back in 2018 a lot of people in this forum had their heads on fire because the Sens passed on Zadina….. and took some other guy instead…… the Sharks just passed on giving Zadina a QO, and the guy Dorion selected is still playing in Ottawa.

Yep. A lot of keyboard warriors in here that like to look at lists and pretend they know something.

Reactions: Duncstar

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Not that it would happen - but I wonder if Chychrun and Joseph for Trouba is an option that could work for both teams.

If he doesn't want to go to Detroit let's forget it.

Also we're better off keeping Joseph and Chychrun. Chychrun on his own is better than Trouba and makes half the money.

Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If he doesn't want to go to Detroit let's forget it.

Also we're better off keeping Joseph and Chychrun. Chychrun on his own is better than Trouba and makes half the money.
If we keep Chychrun, I really hope we get someone like Hakanpaa and maybe another higher end 3rd pair guy so that we can run with three solid pairs rather than putting Chychrun with Chabot again.

Reactions: Cosmix

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
If we keep Chychrun, I really hope we get someone like Hakanpaa and maybe another higher end 3rd pair guy so that we can run with three solid pairs rather than putting Chychrun with Chabot again.

This is my hope as well. I’m comfortable with them running back the left side as long as they’re not sticking Chychrun back on the right side. Kleven could sit in the minors for another year and come up when Chabot gets injured again

Reactions: gab6511

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is my hope as well. I’m comfortable with them running back the left side as long as they’re not sticking Chychrun back on the right side. Kleven could sit in the minors for another year and come up when Chabot gets injured again
I think Kleven has played his off side, might be worth seeing how he does in camp too,

but, I think as a backup plan we could see something like this:

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Hakanpaa
Chychrun-Lybushkin
Extra: Kleven/JBD/Hamonic

Reactions: The Waffler

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Trouba is turning into a head case. This will be 2 organizations now having issues with him. We don't need that in the locker room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad