Speculation: Jackets open for business, 4th overall available for right deal

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It's a trade-off. You exchange risk (that the player won't develop into what they're initially projected to be) for cost and control (developed players cost more and you have fewer years of control).

This is also why high 1st round picks are rarely traded away. Turns out teams would rather keep the sure thing player and eat the cost so they don't offer what it would cost to acquire the pick.
Other way around. Top 4 picks aren't traded because teams aren't willing to move those picks for anything not massive.

Meanwhile these "sure things" are traded all the time, usually for a package or futures that is a HELL of a lot more "magic beans" than 4th overall.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Can't imagine what they'd be looking for, or what would suffice for the 4th overall.

On one hand, this draft isn't really that great and 2/3-12 has been seen as pretty interchangeable. But yet there's a lot of value in being able to pick in that range and get the guy you like the most.

I'm not sure I'd part with a young surefire thing for a pick in that range that's already contributing at the NHL level like I'd imagine the Jackets will want. But then again, i have no idea what they need.

Yeah. It's just hard to see what would be enticing enough to "get it done" from a Blue Jackets perspective.

Like sure, if some team came calling with a real good young Top-6 Center...maybe Columbus listen. But who is going to do that? :laugh:

Only potentially youngish Top-6 Centers i could even see being available are like...Zegras, Necas (if you think he can actually make the switch from wing), maybe Josh Norris (but the only reason he'd be available is that he's a huge health liability). And none of that is remotely worth the 4th overall pick in this draft.

They need more wingers like the need a hole in the head.

I'd say maybe a youngish Top-4D gets them listening, but they've also still got Jiricek already reportedly grumbling a bit about not getting NHL icetime or whatever.

Just don't see what would even get them moving on that 4th pick. Nothing realistic. So it's probably just more of that classic "we're listening on everything" platitudes of a new GM coming in talking big changes and organizational turnaround.

The one thing i would say about this comment though, is that it does send a bit of a signal to me at least, that the Blue Jackets aren't really looking to "blow it up" and rebuild the rebuild again. It does come across as though they're likely to be aggressive in trying to put pieces in place to climb the standings and make a playoff push sooner, rather than later. But i have a feeling that likely has a lot more to do with figuring out their glut of sort of tenuously established Top-9 Wingers, maybe trying to consolidate that down to some key ones and moving others for established quality. As well as presumably trying to rectify the goaltending mess.

Reactions: Viqsi

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
As it appears several in this thread think it's actually available...

Open for business (for a top 5 pick) = if you are dumb enough to offer something so stupid and ridiculous, then we'll consider it. Otherwise this is GM speak

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I’m sorry but nobody is trading a young established star for majic beans. Especially those that are not a top 2 pick.

I understand the cap and control but it’s not happening
Right, which is why the pick won't be moved. And it's only top 1 pick this year. 2-12-ish are likely different for each team but still very high value this year

How about CBJ 4th overall + Laine to Utah for #6 overall? Jackets get to clear some cap and still retain a high pick while Utah gets a player that might bounce back and help sell some tickets.
I don't see Cooley in there. Yes, that's stupid but Laine isn't a Cap dump and cbj has no reason to move him.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Troy Terry seems to be a bit outside of the Zegras/Carlsson/Gauthier/McTavish/Mintyukov/Zellweger/2024 #3OA group in Anaheim. Anything possible there? Seems pretty iffy to me, but I can't think of another possible name.

I think Terry fits into what Verbeek is trying to build there (and maybe Zegras does not). Regardless of talent level.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think the Sens do potentially have the capability to trade up and make a deal happen, but it's not with another pick or prospect.
Depending on how 2+3 go, I would probably take 7 + 25 since I think those have better odds of producing a good player than #4 alone.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Depending on how 2+3 go, I would probably take 7 + 25 since I think those have better odds of producing a good player than #4 alone.
I franky don't think we need the bonus picks. I think the only thing that would make a trade up worthwhile in the abstract is if we can, as part of that, pick up an example of the sort of experienced glue guy we need and/or would look for in free agency with a better contract than we're likely going to get through free agency.

In the case of the Senators - and I would be quite surprised if anyone even remotely associated with the Sens ever considered this - that would be #7 + Zub.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
How about CBJ 4th overall + Laine to Utah for #6 overall? Jackets get to clear some cap and still retain a high pick while Utah gets a player that might bounce back and help sell some tickets.
What else is being added by UTAH? CBJ give up 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (no return) best assets

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Can he play on the left and actually defend? Because what Columbus needs is a middle pairing defenseman who can actually play defense. The rest of the lineup is puckmovers.
Not really. He really needs a babysitter and my post was actually a little bit in jest and not really in the best of taste now that I think of it. Sorry.

Reactions: majormajor

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Time for everyone to vastly underrate the value of a top 4 pick.

7 years of cheap control.

Think superstar. Think your 1C, your superstar winger, or your best dman. with term. Think Elias Pettersson, Brady Tkachuk,

Or, think a proven STUD with bargain control. think Wyatt Johnson, Matthew Boldy
that first pick would be a nice piece in a group of pieces for either of Pettersson or Tkachuk

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The title is technically correct but literally 20 seconds after saying this, Waddell said “it would take a lot” to get it. So I don’t think this pick is being actively shopped

Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I franky don't think we need the bonus picks. I think the only thing that would make a trade up worthwhile in the abstract is if we can, as part of that, pick up an example of the sort of experienced glue guy we need and/or would look for in free agency with a better contract than we're likely going to get through free agency.

In the case of the Senators - and I would be quite surprised if anyone even remotely associated with the Sens ever considered this - that would be #7 + Zub.

Zub would be well worth moving back for. But as you say the Sens wouldn't do that.

I don't think we should put a lot of trade value on getting guys who we can get in free agency, even if the cap hits are worse in free agency. The Jackets have gobs of cap space. Overpays to get who you want and keep term short are perfectly fine.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So We trade our top 5 overall player for Laine and a magic bean? Hmm this seems like a pipe dream unless he wants 16m.
Yup. He'll be the best-paid player in the league and has no particular reason to stay in Edmonton, or for the Oilers to make space for that contract either really. They'll want to focus on keeping McDavid instead with another record-breaking contract. Can be that Draisaitl doesn't want to go to Columbus, but that's one up-and-coming team able to pay him what he wants and give him the role he wants. In Laine the Oilers get a proven trigger man that if healthy can put up big numbers, plus a top prospect that they can choose to their own liking and that will have an ELC when McDavid's big contract hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad