Speculation: Jackets open for business, 4th overall available for right deal

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I predict nobody's going to come anywhere near something that would be considered "the right deal" within the first two pages of this thread.

EDIT: First five minutes and we're already 0 for 2.
Yup. This is just another example of a GM stating the obvious. No club will overpay for 4OA in this draft.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Just a quick question?

Why is the 4th overall a 'surefire thing' in this proposal?

Will Smith
Shane Wright
Luke Hughes
Lukas Raymond
Bowen Byram

Good talent but Byram was already traded, and two are still developing. Wouldn't one of these guys for the 4th overall (or guys in this tier) be the value and not the the teams' superstar as someone above posted?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Just a quick question?

Will Smith
Shane Wright
Luke Hughes
Lukas Raymond
Bowen Byram

Good talent but Byram was already traded, and two are still developing. Wouldn't one of these guys for the 4th overall (or guys in this tier) be the value and not the the teams' superstar as someone above posted?
I think teams would be more concerned with how they feel about their current top 4 list vs. picks made by other teams in the past.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I think teams would be more concerned with how they feel about their current top 4 list vs. picks made by other teams in the past.
Yeah, I understand that but the players' drafted at #4 are Stars and top six / top four pairing talents, not the teams 'superstar' so shouldn't the asking price be a guy like the five I mentioned above and not the teams' best player?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Just a quick question?

Will Smith
Shane Wright
Luke Hughes
Lukas Raymond
Bowen Byram

Teams often drafting in this spot also arent a piece away and trading top picks just because makes no sense and it generally doesnt happen. If someone offers a good young piece that makes sense then sure. Using it to offload a contract just because could not be more stupid. Small market teams need to hit on these or if trading really pull off a good move. Maybe targets a little above the Jordan Harris' of the world

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Terry for #4 makes sense for both Columbus and Anaheim.
Gaudreau, Laine, Johnson, Chinakhov, Marchenko,Voronkov (sometimes a center). Thats the winger depth as of now, trading a top pick for another offensive winger does not make sense for Columbus

Reactions: Xoggz22

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Just a quick question?

Will Smith
Shane Wright
Luke Hughes
Lukas Raymond
Bowen Byram

i'll give you this, great year to stop at to make your point. please guys don't look any further

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Just a quick question?

Will Smith
Shane Wright
Luke Hughes
Lukas Raymond
Bowen Byram

Garth Snow spent a few years drafting around this spot and saying that he’d be open to trading the pick for immediate help. Never ended up trading it and the picks he made from the spot were lackluster at best.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Just a quick question?

Will Smith Lead NCAA in scoring as a freshman
Shane Wright PPG in the Calder Cup playoffs while playing a two-way mature game
Luke Hughes Calder Trophy candidate who was the best US defenseman at the men’s Worlds this spring
Lukas Raymond Put his team on his back and nearly willed them to the playoffs
Bowen Byram Key role on Stanley Cup winning team
Yeah, who would want any of those players. Just “magic beans”, amirite.

Acting like 18 and 19 year olds not being in the NHL yet means they aren’t “sure things” is a huge L.

Reactions: cslebn

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Terry for #4 makes sense for both Columbus and Anaheim.
No, it really doesn't. Columbus doesn't need more wings. They need top 6 C or top 4 RHD or a big physical shutdown D to play big minutes. Most usually need drafted and can be core pieces at 4OA

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Unless Columbus wants to move down and Utah wants to move up 2 spots, I don't really see a deal that Utah would want. Cooley is out of the question but is the kind of value it would take. Doan or Simashev are probably the only guys with similar value that Columbus might want but I don't see either being traded from Utah either. Maybe something like 6th + 2025 NYR 2nd? But even then Columbus would have to know their guy will be there at 6 and Utah would want to move up to 4, and I only see the situation with that being a possibility being if Demidov is there, in which case the Jackets will just take him, or if GMBA and Waddell know something we don't. Maybe Buium is slated to go 4 and GMBA really wants him or something. No way for us to tell though.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Unless Columbus wants to move down and Utah wants to move up 2 spots, I don't really see a deal that Utah would want. Cooley is out of the question but is the kind of value it would take. Doan or Simashev are probably the only guys with similar value that Columbus might want but I don't see either being traded from Utah either. Maybe something like 6th + 2025 NYR 2nd? But even then Columbus would have to know their guy will be there at 6 and Utah would want to move up to 4, and I only see the situation with that being a possibility being if Demidov is there, in which case the Jackets will just take him, or if GMBA and Waddell know something we don't. Maybe Buium is slated to go 4 and GMBA really wants him or something. No way for us to tell though.

I could MAYBE see Laine (or Merzlikins) and 4th overall for Crouse (or Velmelka) and 6th overall. Maybe CBJ add a pick too.

Probably only happens if Columbus thinks both Utah and Montréal don't want the guy they were gonna draft at 4. Or CBJ like two guys equally and are confident one will be there at 6.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Just a quick question?

Will Smith
Shane Wright
Luke Hughes
Lukas Raymond
Bowen Byram

I assume the thinking is that the team acquiring the 4OA pick in this hypothetical is one that believes its GM is smart enough to pick a good player with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad