Player Discussion Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020): Named AHL Rookie of the Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Wait a minute. So, if the goalies in the AHL right now aren't that good, Then Quinn is getting an advantage, and benefitting from lesser quality goalies. How does having him up with the big club with pro goalies benefit him? He's likely not going to get 8 pts in 2 games against NHL goalies.
The idea is that weak competition slows his development, so 8 pts isn't meaningful if the competition isn't good.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
An Accrued Season is defined as a year in which a skater is on an NHL roster for at least 40 games (30 games for Goalies). If a player is on the NHL team's roster but injured, the team's games count towards the 40 game minimum.

...I wonder how this factors into Quinn and some other guys. We want to push back UFA for a bunch of guys. I think

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's not like Sogaard and Gustavsson are some ECHL scrubs. Sogaard is definitely a prospect as is Gustavsson. Pump the breaks on "weak competition" talk.
This forum is something else at times. Heaven forbid someone does basic research to know if something they heard is true. But hey, they heard it so it must be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gimli and Dingo44

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
...I wonder how this factors into Quinn and some other guys. We want to push back UFA for a bunch of guys. I think
I think we see a Skinner buyout and let Okposo’s contract run out and see a couple big UFA signings to top off our young guys in 2 years when we’re ready.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I think we see a Skinner buyout and let Okposo’s contract run out and see a couple big UFA signings to top off our young guys in 2 years when we’re ready.
Pegulas will not buy anyone out "anymore", they won't spend the money. Maybe a new owner will ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob582

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Pegulas are still paying Christian Ehrhoff for another 6 years I think.

They bought out Leino of course.

They will buy out Skinner when it makes sense to do so. Its not necessary for a while. The 2024 offseason makes sense.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
An Accrued Season is defined as a year in which a skater is on an NHL roster for at least 40 games (30 games for Goalies). If a player is on the NHL team's roster but injured, the team's games count towards the 40 game minimum.

I'm not sure how much the accrued season thing matters. For high draft picks like him, its all about when he makes the team for good. Eichel made it in his 1st year, Reinhart 2nd, and Quinn will be his 3rd. And the season is half over so the 40 game thing is moot, he won't get there.

The number that matters is 10. We can get 3 ELC years with him on the NHL roster. 3 *full* years where he is making around 1 to 1.5 a year (i dont know how much of his performance bonus he will get).

Starting 2024-25 I expect we will be spending to the cap, and when you include a Skinner buy out, all the dollars matter.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
While I'd like to keep Quinn down the whole year, if Samuelsson and Krebs are up for good, it doesn't seem right for Quinn to not be up as well.

Not a Krebs thread, but would rather Krebs spend the rest of the season with Peca in Rochester and Quinn graduate.

Maybe Skinner can help turn Quinn into a Quinner

Reactions: KeepKane

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
I don't see the ownership buying out Skinner, but molsonizing him to an obscure league somewhere to make room for Quinn would make a lot of sense

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't see the ownership buying out Skinner, but molsonizing him to an obscure league somewhere to make room for Quinn would make a lot of sense

Skinner is actually producing like we want this year with 1.3 G/60. For reference, he was at 1.6 G/60 with Eichel in his contract season.

Wait until he has one of his bad seasons before throwing that plan out there.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Dude had mono and just keeps chugging on like nothing happened. Not to be dramatic but what does his ceiling look like? He's destroying a damn good league like it's nothing.
I said in a previous thread- I haven't seen a pure goal scorer like him on Rochester since Vanek. They score differently, but you get my drift. Quinn seems to be more dynamic with the puck, though. Just so fast and slick. He can be more impactful than Vanek on a shift-to-shift basis.

Definitely has top-line potential. I saw his *likely* goal of the year live. My man had the defenseman looking like he saw a ghost as he came flying up the wing. He's going to be a fun one to watch going forward.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
While I'd like to keep Quinn down the whole year, if Samuelsson and Krebs are up for good, it doesn't seem right for Quinn to not be up as well.

Not a Krebs thread, but would rather Krebs spend the rest of the season with Peca in Rochester and Quinn graduate.

Maybe Skinner can help turn Quinn into a Quinner

Having those kids play for each other and experience a playoff run is part of the development process. While the kids are extremely excited about getting called up to big club, they all seem to have fully embraced playing in Rochester and playing for each other. I can't remember the last time a bunch of Amerks made the drive up to watch their teammates play.

Also, bringing up Quinn for more than 9 games and burning and ELC slide year in what is essentially a lost season would be a very very poor business decision.

So, while I really really want to watch Quinn play in the NHL right now, I still don't think it's best for his long term development or the team's.

Reactions: Dingo44

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
So Quinn on taxi squad makes AHL salary and doesn't play in games. The worst of both worlds!

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
So Quinn on taxi squad makes AHL salary and doesn't play in games. The worst of both worlds!
For what ever reason, that has been how the team has been calling up injury replacements. They assign them to the taxi squad, and then add them to the main roster before the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad