Player Discussion Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020): Named AHL Rookie of the Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
For what ever reason, that has been how the team has been calling up injury replacements. They assign them to the taxi squad, and then add them to the main roster before the game.
I can’t find a practical reason to do this so there must be something about taxi squads that I don’t fully understand. You can use a taxi squad emergency call up to avoid waivers, but it doesn’t make sense for a player that is t waivers eligible

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Pretty excited about having him, Krebs, and Samuelsson up at the same times. Just need Peterka to come back and be healthy.

Same. Hopefully all of them give them some jump against Dallas (and Dallas is teetering right now).

As an aside, Peterka is back practicing with the Amerks. They miss his speed and ability to transition the puck up the ice. Weissbach has filled in but is a slice below JJ (not a knock on Weissbach, he's still got nice wheels that could get him NHL time in the future).

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He woulda coulda shoulda scored in his debut so I'll be looking for a goal tonight. He'll be tough to send back down

Yeah, he had a couple glorious chances/near misses last time. I don't think it'll be long before he's lighting the lamp in the NHL.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

Interesting that Perfetti comes out ahead in Pronman's Game Score model because Quinn has only a 49 percent goal rate and 45 percent Corsi. Perfetti only has six goals in seventeen games but rates 63 and 65 percent, respectively, for goal rate and Corsi.

Perfetti17GP6G9A15pts
Quinn23GP16G18A34pts
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Does this mean he could use some more time in Roch?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Interesting that Perfetti comes out ahead in Pronman's Game Score model because Quinn has only a 49 percent goal rate and 45 percent Corsi. Perfetti only has six goals in seventeen games but rates 63 and 65 percent, respectively, for goal rate and Corsi.

Perfetti17GP6G9A15pts
Quinn23GP16G18A34pts
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

No. Guys who are good at scoring actual (rather than theoretical) goals always break those kind of models.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
No. Guys who are good at scoring actual (rather than theoretical) goals always break those kind of models.
Before I get accused of being anti-Quinn, I’m not, but can you please give me an example of great goal scorer whose possession numbers are bad? I was also curious about those numbers because in my 2 Quinn viewings he dominated possession (eye test), so the neg rel CF was surprising.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Before I get accused of being anti-Quinn, I’m not, but can you please give me an example of great goal scorer whose possession numbers are bad? I was also curious about those numbers because in my 2 Quinn viewings he dominated possession (eye test), so the neg rel CF was surprising.

Ovechkin, probably. Dude never has possession of the puck

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Honestly, you could probably pick a name from a hat. Most guys who are great at scoring goals score more of them than metrics say they should. Ovi, Laine, even Olofsson (well, last year anyway--I'm sure the numbers this season look different with how injuries have neutralized his scoring ability).

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Honestly, you could probably pick a name from a hat. Most guys who are great at scoring goals score more of them than metrics say they should. Ovi, Laine, even Olofsson (well, last year anyway--I'm sure the numbers this season look different with how injuries have neutralized his scoring ability).
Ovi’s possession numbers are off the charts good. Laine and Olofsson’s goal numbers haven’t sustained, so I’m not sure they are great examples. Stamkos has crazy possession numbers. Who else is a legit great goal scorer? Kane? His numbers are good. Every single player I can think have that is a legit top tier goal scorer has good possession numbers. So, really I just want to hear what someone that watches most of not all America games. How could Quinn, who seems to me to be the best player on the ice, have poor possession numbers.

member 334057

DeBrincat, Kane, Laine, Raymond, Panarin, Kreider, Zib, Batherson, Tkachuk, Norris, Tarasenko, Barbashev are some of the ones i found with 44 - 48ish CF numbers this season, though they didn't all have negative rel CF some did and some were very close.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
DeBrincat, Kane, Laine, Raymond, Panarin, Kreider, Zib, Batherson, Tkachuk, Norris, Tarasenko, Barbashev are some of the ones i found with 44 - 48ish CF numbers this season, though they didn't all have negative rel CF some did and some were very close.
Are you just looking at this year? Because single season goal scoring numbers will fluctuate a lot more than corsi.

debrincat, Kane, Panarin are all positive relative corsi for their career. Laine sucks. Raymond is pos real. I suspect I’ll find more of the same.

member 334057

Are you just looking at this year? Because single season goal scoring numbers will fluctuate a lot more than corsi.
Just this year, I mean the Quinn numbers are also being judged by just this year in the AHL right? Kind of defeats the purpose of saying he's a bad possession player when comparing 23 AHL games of data to an entire career for another player. Generally good teams also have good possession numbers, and bad teams do not. A player like Ovechkin is not likely to have the same CF on the Sabres as he does on the Caps.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He was very good, especially in the first half of the game. I think you forget the 9-game ELC mark, who cares. I think if you keep him under 40 G it's not an accrued season to UFA, so do that. But at least for now he looks like he belongs.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Glad they're giving these kids opportunities. Never liked the idea of keeping them in the AHL if they're dominating down there. That doesn't mean you stubbornly keep them up if they're struggling for a bit, but I never think it's a bad idea to reward these kids with some time in the NHL. Every one of them would tell you that's their ultimate goal is to make the show as soon as possible, and have an impact.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Perfetti17GP6G9A15pts
Quinn23GP16G18A34pts
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Just shows how dumb that statistical breakdown is. Pronman has no clue. Didn't like him in his draft because he doesn't actually watch games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad