Player Discussion Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020): Named AHL Rookie of the Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I haven't been sure what to make of Quinn so far. What I've seen is a talented player who falls down a lot, makes risky passes, and is easily muscled off of pucks. At the same time, I've been seeing that his advanced metrics are strong, and that has been surprising.

Saw this article today that really breaks down what he has been doing successfully despite the lack of point production. Small sample size, but I definitely feel more comfortable with him being in the lineup after reading this, and it gives me some things to look for in his next run of games.

Tldr; basically, Quinn is really smart positionally, anticipates the play well, and plays his best with other skilled fast players who he can read off of. This article almost makes me wonder if they should keep trying him at center because of how strong he is in those areas.

I keep making the comparison to Reinhart in my head. He has a lot of the same traits, but maybe just a little faster, shifty and dynamic. Also is starting out with a more dangerous shot, although Reinhart improved that every year to the point where he was dangerous in the slot. The other thing Quinn has that Reinhart always had was the ability to understand the game, which allows him to make subtle adjustments to find success with more and more experience.

If he can continue to drive play and suppress the opposing team's offense, while also adding in the sniping and offensive production at some point, look out...

At the very least, he's a very interesting player to watch develop over the next couple years.
I have this feeling he's about to pop. You can see his confidence rising, and he clearly thinks the game the right way and has an elite wrist shot.

I think the idea of trying him at C eventually could be a smart gamble. It's not needed right now, but if we had an injury or two, it might be worthwhile to try. There's gotta be a reason they gave him a look there last year (or season prior). He's got some serious talent and a high IQ. Can't wait to watch his development.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Rossi who?
Valentino_Rossi_2017.jpg

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Best thing abut his 1st goal last night was pulling up and giving himself time instead of rushing into a low % chance where the Dman had the angle. The worst thing was that his big smile shows he still needs some teeth whitening. I can be patient with that though.
American teeth look so unnatural and scary. Teeth aren't supposed to look like white paint.
I almost always accidentally stare when I meet people with the american style of teeth whitening. Norwegians do it as well. Sooo creepy.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
American teeth look so unnatural and scary. Teeth aren't supposed to look like white paint.
I almost always accidentally stare when I meet people with the american style of teeth whitening. Norwegians do it as well. Sooo creepy.
Ok I partially agree because I don't use any whitening products. Lets just say he could maybe brush better.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Ok I partially agree because I don't use any whitening products. Lets just say he could maybe brush better.
Or start using chewing tobacco to bring it up a notch

Edit: Would also like to add that the swedish style of brown teeth with bleeding gums ain't so hot. At least we have our own tobacco culture.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Quinn has a tendency to get a feel for every new league he is in so far then proceed to dominate he is just scratching the surface best part is he could've already had about 3 more goals but still remains effective when not scoring

Reactions: Dirty Dog

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I think his celebration was more relief on the 1st one getting the monkey off his back. 2nd one it was a blowout so he didn't want to rub it in I assume.
I thought it was humble. He clearly didn't intend to deflect off Batbashev's ankle. Or it could have been relief. Or he doesn't want to celebrate a goal in the middle of a blowout. Or all of the above. He smiles once Cozens hypes him up.

Reactions: start winnin

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Quinn has a tendency to get a feel for every new league he is in so far then proceed to dominate he is just scratching the surface best part is he could've already had about 3 more goals but still remains effective when not scoring
He's going to be a star in this league, think of Benn or Stone

Reactions: Faceboner

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
He’s going to hit 20 goals for sure, even with his slow start. He’s been just an inch off, or half a second slow so far. You can tell he is very close to figuring out how to get his shot off clean at the NHL level.

It took Tage a couple years to learn the same thing, so Quinn is ahead of schedule.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
He’s going to hit 20 goals for sure, even with his slow start. He’s been just an inch off, or half a second slow so far. You can tell he is very close to figuring out how to get his shot off clean at the NHL level.

It took Tage a couple years to learn the same thing, so Quinn is ahead of schedule.
When he gets the puck he just looks to get to the middle and open some space to snipe. Like every time he gets the puck. It's fun to watch and he'll get better at it.

I think "Psycho" should stick

Reactions: Faceboner

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Just realized he only has 1 point in 16 games... small sample size but I'll take Quinn

If you look at the cumulative post-draft sample size across leagues, I think Quinn is comfortably ahead of Rossi at this point. Sure, Rossi had a rough go with Covid, but Quinn also had significant injury setbacks. When they've been playing, Quinn has been the better player.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
If you look at the cumulative post-draft sample size across leagues, I think Quinn is comfortably ahead of Rossi at this point. Sure, Rossi had a rough go with Covid, but Quinn also had significant injury setbacks. When they've been playing, Quinn has been the better player.
And Quinn had mono. lol

Reactions: Club

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
A rough go as in nearly dying? You can't down play that. Quinn will be good, Rossi will be good.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
With how Rossi has performed thus far, I'd bet he could be an interesting buy low prospect. Just saying add him to the mix. (Likely not realistic.)
They would want more than what he is currently worth considering his value is at its lowest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad