Player Discussion Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020): Named AHL Rookie of the Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’ll say this for Quinn’s NHL games. I thought he was the best player on the ice in one of the two. And of the six shots he took…I don’t believe a goalie moved once on any of them. His shot is a problem. A way different problem than a Thompson or Olofsson where the goalie moves and just can’t catch it in time. Quinn shoots with the goalie looking right at him and it’s in before they know he’s shot it. It’s a crazy thing. And if that doesnt translate to a goal scorer (leaving aside that he works his ass off, has improved dramatically as a skater and will go anywhere to shoot fearlessly) nothing does.

Id take Stutzle. I’d take Lundell.

that’s all of them.

His ability to shoot quickly, hard, and accurately while in motion is just amazing. And he has a knack for shifting toward the middle lane, especially on his forehand, and using the pile of guys in front as a screen but in the best possible shooting locations. It's really something to see.

I'm with you. I think we've got something special with Quinn.

There is the possibility he moves up. I want to see him do all the things at the NHL level.

Now for something we have seen as a trend - if twice is a trend - is that he makes a jump in level and that first year the production and scoresheet results aren't there. And then in year two.... BOOM. So this is going to be year one in the NHL and it wouldn't surprise me if he has some adjustment and learning to do. The important thing if that happens? Don't write him off.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
On this board? You know what the chances of that happening is, right?
1658186430483.png

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
His ability to shoot quickly, hard, and accurately while in motion is just amazing. And he has a knack for shifting toward the middle lane, especially on his forehand, and using the pile of guys in front as a screen but in the best possible shooting locations. It's really something to see.

There is the possibility he moves up. I want to see him do all the things at the NHL level.

Now for something we have seen as a trend - if twice is a trend - is that he makes a jump in level and that first year the production and scoresheet results aren't there. And then in year two.... BOOM. So this is going to be year one in the NHL and it wouldn't surprise me if he has some adjustment and learning to do. The important thing if that happens? Don't write him off.

Just because you’re telling me what to do, I’m gonna write him off now before he plays a third game in the NHL.

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
Where would you guys put Quinn now in a redraft ?
It’s still too early to tell since some of these guys have already had some NHL success. I’m not putting Lundell ahead of him yet, he had a prime role on a high scoring team with two awesome wingers. Raymond faded down the stretch. Schneider? No. Jarvis has been impressive, it’s hard to ignore how good he is. Still early on Sanderson. I’d be uneasy to trade Quinn for anyone in that draft right now.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I think you could make arguments if you wanted for Stutzle, Raymond, Lundell, Sanderson above him. Mercer and Jarvis close by. Laf’s stats haven’t been impressive as a 1OA but he’s shown glimpses at times too.

I’d personally only take Stutzle over him with Raymond being very tempting based on how I feel about him if the redraft was today.
For me, I’m still drafting Stutzle, Raymond, Drysdale and Sanderson above him. Laf possibly too.Jarvis I put in a similiar realm to Quinn both with different strengths. But I don’t think I’d take any of lundell, Byfield, Mercer, holtz, Rossi etc… over him.

Lundell is a solid hockey player but I don’t see an elite special talent. Quinn there’s some serious potential for a 40 goal scorer here who does more than just provide a nasty release (unlike Holtz)

Super excited for this guy and the Sabres future in general. Adam’s has been doing a fantastic job at the helm.

Reactions: RhinoFan

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
For me, I’m still drafting Stutzle, Raymond, Drysdale and Sanderson above him. Laf possibly too.Jarvis I put in a similiar realm to Quinn both with different strengths. But I don’t think I’d take any of lundell, Byfield, Mercer, holtz, Rossi etc… over him.

Lundell is a solid hockey player but I don’t see an elite special talent. Quinn there’s some serious potential for a 40 goal scorer here who does more than just provide a nasty release (unlike Holtz)

Super excited for this guy and the Sabres future in general. Adam’s has been doing a fantastic job at the helm.
I have repented of my pre-draft hate on Jake Sanderson.

I would take Sanderson or Raymond ahead of Laf today. I would probably take Lundell and Jarvis ahead of Laf, as well.

Heck, I am more optimistic about Quinn & JJP because I am a Sabres homer and the Sabres didn't rush either guy to the NHL like the Rangers did with Laf & Kakko.

Reactions: MeenOlViks

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
It'll be very exciting to see him with all that talent. What a great draft for wingers 2020 is shaping up to be; entertaining players all over the 1st round so far.

As of today I think Quinn is behind Raymond, Stutzle and Jarvis for sure, but that could all change in a hurry.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
It'll be very exciting to see him with all that talent. What a great draft for wingers 2020 is shaping up to be; entertaining players all over the 1st round so far.

As of today I think Quinn is behind Raymond, Stutzle and Jarvis for sure, but that could all change in a hurry.
I could easily see him being on their level or even a cut above. Maybe I'm crazy, but I see 40/40 potential in him, especially if he can find his way into the top 6 and someday on a line with Savoie.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I could easily see him being on their level or even a cut above. Maybe I'm crazy, but I see 40/40 potential in him, especially if he can find his way into the top 6 and someday on a line with Savoie.

What sort of potential are you attributing Stutzle and Jarvis? They put up 60 points in the NHL and are 5-6 months younger than Quinn is. Certainly Quinn could overtake them, but they had stellar seasons and have at least as much runway to improve.

Seeing 40/40 potential in Quinn isn't crazy; I think it's aiming high but plausible. I'm not sure even that stat line will be a cut above Stutzle. His linemates will be Giroux and DeBrincat!

Turn back the clocks because their top 6 is 2007 style Ottawa Senators:

Stutzle - Giroux - DeBrincat
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson

Incredible one-two punch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad