Player Discussion Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020): Named AHL Rookie of the Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
No. He made it crystal clear he was healthy and just going through a slump.

I do expect this myth to live on during the offseason.
Good that he's healthy and I fully expect him to add more strength and power over the summer. The playoffs were disappointing but he'll use it as motivation and again, I don't see this kid not making the squad out of camp.

jputt99

Nov 24, 2016
Charlotte NC
The lack of production during the playoffs has to be concerning for the Sabres. Maybe it was a slump, but I'm more inclined to believe the other teams figured out a way to neutralize Jack. He's still young and has a few holes in his game. I still expect Quinn to compete for a roster spot, but Adams can afford to be patient. I wouldn't have a problem seeing him start next season in Rochester.

Reactions: elchud

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The lack of production during the playoffs has to be concerning for the Sabres. Maybe it was a slump, but I'm more inclined to believe the other teams figured out a way to neutralize Jack. He's still young and has a few holes in his game. I still expect Quinn to compete for a roster spot, but Adams can afford to be patient. I wouldn't have a problem seeing him start next season in Rochester.
Granato said that Quinn would be 100% in the NHL. The AHL is not the easiest and best league to develop, the NHL is perhaps even easier to do.

Reactions: Zach716

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I would think it would be an issue if the guy wasn't getting chances and driving play to the net for most of those games. From Game 3 onward, he was getting chances and generating shots. He added in a physical element that Appert went out of his way to praise. Again, the chances were there. The concern would be if the chances were not and that was not the case.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I really dont care where Quinn starts next year. I do know he will finish the season in Buffalo.

Reactions: jmelm

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Where would you guys put Quinn now in a redraft ?
I think you could make arguments if you wanted for Stutzle, Raymond, Lundell, Sanderson above him. Mercer and Jarvis close by. Laf’s stats haven’t been impressive as a 1OA but he’s shown glimpses at times too.

I’d personally only take Stutzle over him with Raymond being very tempting based on how I feel about him if the redraft was today.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I think you could make arguments if you wanted for Stutzle, Raymond, Lundell, Sanderson above him. Mercer and Jarvis close by. Laf’s stats haven’t been impressive as a 1OA but he’s shown glimpses at times too.

I’d personally only take Stutzle over him with Raymond being very tempting based on how I feel about him if the redraft was today.

In no order I have: Stutzle, Raymond, Drysdale, Schneider, Lundell, Lafreniere, and Jarvis ahead of him, then we get into iffy territory. Quinn is in the tier with Rossi, Byfield, Sanderson and Bordeleau.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Where would you guys put Quinn now in a redraft ?

I think you take Stutzle and Lundell ahead of him without question. Probably take Sanderson and Drysdale as well. On the sheer amount of sky-high talent, probably Laf and Byfield as well. From there, it's kind of an "eye of the beholder" situation with Quinn, Rossi, Jarvis, Raymond and Mercer.

I think there's a case to take him as high as 3........but with a lack of NHL time/production........8 still feels right-ish.

Reactions: jc17 and Dirty Dog

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
In no order I have: Stutzle, Raymond, Drysdale, Schneider, Lundell, Lafreniere, and Jarvis ahead of him, then we get into iffy territory. Quinn is in the tier with Rossi, Byfield, Sanderson and Bordeleau.
Have to disagree that Quinn is in that tier.
Quinn- 61 pts in 45 games AHL
Ross- 53 pts in 63 games AHL
Byfield- 10 pts in 40 games NHL, 6 in 11 AHL
Sanderson had a college season on par with Power but in a different divison, which is why I could see him being higher
Bordeleau- 37 in 37 NCAA

If we are talking about high ceiling though I could see the argument that if Byfield puts it together he could be the best of them all, I had my rankings based on potential, ceiling, and likeliness to hit it

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Have to disagree that Quinn is in that tier.
Quinn- 61 pts in 45 games AHL
Ross- 53 pts in 63 games AHL
Byfield- 10 pts in 40 games NHL, 6 in 11 AHL
Sanderson had a college season on par with Power but in a different divison, which is why I could see him being higher
Bordeleau- 37 in 37 NCAA

If we are talking about high ceiling though I could see the argument that if Byfield puts it together he could be the best of them all, I had my rankings based on potential, ceiling, and likeliness to hit it

I’m not saying he’s solidly in that tier. I just have the players that have performed at the NHL level so far in a bunch of games ahead of him at this point. Byfield dropped because of his lack of production, but I will admit I dunno how much time he got. At best (worst?) I can be convinced he’s just under the higher people dueling with Quinn.

It’s not a bad thing to have Quinn ranked behind people that have produced more at this stage. Things can change. I’m not busting out the concrete saw to etch things in stone yet. Ask again in 15 years

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’ll say this for Quinn’s NHL games. I thought he was the best player on the ice in one of the two. And of the six shots he took…I don’t believe a goalie moved once on any of them. His shot is a problem. A way different problem than a Thompson or Olofsson where the goalie moves and just can’t catch it in time. Quinn shoots with the goalie looking right at him and it’s in before they know he’s shot it. It’s a crazy thing. And if that doesnt translate to a goal scorer (leaving aside that he works his ass off, has improved dramatically as a skater and will go anywhere to shoot fearlessly) nothing does.

Id take Stutzle. I’d take Lundell.

that’s all of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad