Proposal: Jack Eichel to Anaheim 4 Fair Value

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Zegras, Guhle and 1st and 2nd round draft picks for Eichal, Weissbach
For the 100th time

if the price is zegras or drysdale Anaheim simply walks away from it…. No one else is offering a prospect in the same tier as zegras/drysdale so why should Anaheim even consider it

Also our 1st is a higher percentage of being a top 5 pick, where most teams in the bidding are essentially contenders

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Nobody has said they are equal. Keep building those straw men though.

Exactly. If they were equally talented players right this moment, why would Anaheim trade the player who is five years younger, 9 million dollars cheaper, and healthier?

Buffalo is not going to get a dollar for dollar trade here, especially with the health issue unresolved.

Edit: and I recognize that most Buffalo fans aren't asking for a player of Eichel's quality in return, to be fair. I think in different circumstances he could return a prospect of Zegras/Byfield/etc. quality, but the injury, contract, and trade request take that quality of return off the table imo.

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Exactly. If they were equally talented players right this moment, why would Anaheim trade the player who is five years younger, 9 million dollars cheaper, and healthier?

Buffalo is not going to get a dollar for dollar trade here, especially with the health issue unresolved.

Edit: and I recognize that most Buffalo fans aren't asking for a player of Eichel's quality in return, to be fair. I think in different circumstances he could return a prospect of Zegras/Byfield/etc. quality, but the injury, contract, and trade request take that quality of return off the table imo.

The chances of Zegras being anywhere as good as Eichel in his career are ridiculously low. His career trajectory doesn’t show anywhere close. You get his entry level years which are low cap hit then he’ll get paid more. If the logic is dollars, then have all 2nd and 3rd line players.

The Eichel situation has been so mismanaged by Sabres and the player (his agent) that he pretty much has to play again and when he’s well over a point a game player his value will be reestablished.

Every day the likelihood of him putting on a Sabres uniform again grows.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The chances of Zegras being anywhere as good as Eichel in his career are ridiculously low. His career trajectory doesn’t show anywhere close. You get his entry level years which are low cap hit then he’ll get paid more. If the logic is dollars, then have all 2nd and 3rd line players.

The Eichel situation has been so mismanaged by Sabres and the player (his agent) that he pretty much has to play again and when he’s well over a point a game player his value will be reestablished.

I mean zegras can become a ppg player, not that far off from eichel to be honest

Reactions: kinghock

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If the situation was reversed, you would have the opposite opinion. Zegras's development resume is just as impressive as Eichel. It's very possible that Zegras don't end up as good as Eichel but he's on a very good track.

We all get it, Sabres are trading one of the best young centers in the game but he has injury issues and on a monster contract for 4 more years. Sabres will end up with a solid return but it's not going to be what you think it will be. Sad reality. Someone would have offered it by now.

The only way I see the Sabres getting those pieces you think you will get is if Eichel has his surgery and plays more games for the Sabres and proves he is 100% again. Then maybe things change. But the biggest issue is teams that are willing to trade for Eichel, want to improve their team with Eichel, not be another Sabres where Eichel is on a Island by himself.

Sabres are the ones in a tough spot. Other GM's interested are circling around like vultures but not going to go all in like you would expect. This could drag on for a while yet

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If the situation was reversed, you would have the opposite opinion. Zegras's development resume is just as impressive as Eichel. It's very possible that Zegras don't end up as good as Eichel but he's on a very good track.

We all get it, Sabres are trading one of the best young centers in the game but he has injury issues and on a monster contract for 4 more years. Sabres will end up with a solid return but it's not going to be what you think it will be. Sad reality. Someone would have offered it by now.

The only way I see the Sabres getting those pieces you think you will get is if Eichel has his surgery and plays more games for the Sabres and proves he is 100% again. Then maybe things change. But the biggest issue is teams that are willing to trade for Eichel, want to improve their team with Eichel, not be another Sabres where Eichel is on a Island by himself.

Sabres are the ones in a tough spot. Other GM's interested are circling around like vultures but not going to go all in like you would expect. This could drag on for a while yet
Anaheim doesn’t make sense to be in on eichel, unless it’s a bargain type deal…. No way we’d be in on a full price eichel

Our 1st is too dangerous
Zegras and drysdale are too good to move
mctacish could be moved but at this point, eichel value has diminished too much and I don’t have much interest in even moving mctavish as the main piece

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anaheim doesn’t make sense to be in on eichel, unless it’s a bargain type deal…. No way we’d be in on a full price eichel

Our 1st is too dangerous
Zegras and drysdale are too good to move
mctacish could be moved but at this point, eichel value has diminished too much and I don’t have much interest in even moving mctavish as the main piece

I do feel for the Sabres cause I would not want that situation on the team I cheer for. However, there is just no team willing to step up the way the Sabres expect. I feel Adams is in over his head.

Very curious to see how this plays out and where Eichel lands. Remember a year ago when Sabres fans and other fans said... "There is no way the Sabres trade Eichel". How a year has changed things and I suspect if the Sabres hold onto him cause they are stubborn, things will change more.... maybe for the better or the worse.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Krebs + late 1st + tuch + Hague

Seems to be reasonable value

I would call that a starting point that the Sabres can use as leverage for other teams to try to improve their offers on. Then go from there and hope one GM tries to outbid the other but it's not going to get to 4 top 10 values regardless.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
such a hater
Keep him. Play him. Trade picks and prospects to build around him.

Since I don't see you advocating trading Quinn or Power or next year's 1st to build around Jack I guess that means you are a hater.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

If he's healthy and well over a point per game why would BUF trade him for a player who has a ridiculously low chance of ever being as good?

Reactions: Getz2noone

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

Well the problem is that any prospect, bar maybe a Shane Wright, is very unlikely to be as good as Eichel. That's why most organizations work very hard not to trade elite players - you're almost never going to get a future package which reflects the value of the asset you're selling. The moment Eichel wanted out, Buffalo was going to take a loss. The best Adams can do at this point is mitigating that loss with center prospects and 1st round picks.

In the pool of potentially available center prospects, Trevor Zegras is the cream of the crop. He and Byfield are probably in a tier of their own, just ahead of players like Turcotte, Krebs, McMichael, Lundell, Perfetti, Rossi, etc. From that perspective, Anaheim has one of the best assets that Buffalo can get.

In the pool of available first round picks, Anaheim also has one of the best available assets, alongside probably Buffalo themselves, Arizona, Detroit, Columbus, Ottawa, San Jose, etc. So when I see people asking for packages including like Zegras and an Anaheim 1st, I have to shake my head. Who is bidding anywhere close to that? The only team who can sort of match that is Los Angeles, with a package of maybe Byfield and a 1st. The only scenario in which Buffalo is giving up that kind of package is in a massive bidding war, which simply does not seem to be the case here.

Back to Eichel himself- I agree that Jack recovering and playing for the Sabres again would be the best way to elevate his trade value. The issue is that Jack Eichel has no real incentive to raise his own trade value.

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If he's healthy and well over a point per game why would BUF trade him for a player who has a ridiculously low chance of ever being as good?

They wouldn't, that's why no deal has been made. The impasse is the extent of he injury and now it's sort of this big mystery. Nobody on the planet would have said a year ago Eichel wasn't worth Zegras and more. Prospects, even high ones, are so overrated. For every Marner there is way more Kotkaneimis out there. Once in a while you get drafts that produces tons of top line players. But even 2015 draft, lots of high picks are having so so careers. What is Dylan Strome worth today? Or Pavel Zacha. And that's 2015. Other years, there is so much middling crap that will never come close to Eichel.

The bottom line for Eichel is he has to reestablish value. When people suggest Zagras isn't worth Eichel it just shows the drag of the injury which remains a mystery.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
They wouldn't, that's why no deal has been made. The impasse is the extent of he injury and now it's sort of this big mystery. Nobody on the planet would have said a year ago Eichel wasn't worth Zegras and more. Prospects, even high ones, are so overrated. For every Marner there is way more Kotkaneimis out there. Once in a while you get drafts that produces tons of top line players. But even 2015 draft, lots of high picks are having so so careers. What is Dylan Strome worth today? Or Pavel Zacha. And that's 2015. Other years, there is so much middling crap that will never come close to Eichel.

The bottom line for Eichel is he has to reestablish value. When people suggest Zagras isn't worth Eichel it just shows the drag of the injury which remains a mystery.
Ok let me rephrase:

If it's likely, as you seem to think, that Eichel will return to health and be a PPG player...

Then why would BUF trade him at all? Why wouldn't they take those ridiculously overrated prospects that you talk about, like say Cozens or Quinn, and trade them for players from other teams that will make the team better and build around Jack?

And since you think prospects are overrated why aren't you suggesting trading Quinn, Rosen and Peterka for a starting G and maybe a winger to play with Jack?

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Well the problem is that any prospect, bar maybe a Shane Wright, is very unlikely to be as good as Eichel. That's why most organizations work very hard not to trade elite players - you're almost never going to get a future package which reflects the value of the asset you're selling.

The moment Eichel wanted out, Buffalo was going to take a loss. The best Adams can do at this point is mitigating that loss with center prospects and 1st round picks. In the pool of potentially available center prospects, Trevor Zegras is the cream of the crop. He and Byfield are probably in a tier of their own, just ahead of players like Turcotte, Krebs, McMichael, Lundell, Perfetti, Rossi, etc. From that perspective, Anaheim has the best asset that Buffalo can get. I don't blame them for being very reluctant to give that up.

I agree that Eichel recovering and playing for the Sabres again would be the best way to elevate his trade value. The issue is that Jack Eichel has no real incentive to raise his own trade value.
The incentive is to show he can play hockey again at a high level. If he demonstrates that, it certainly helps his odds of being moved. Other than that, I agree with most of what you've laid out here. I think most Buffalo fans realize they aren't getting a kings ransom for Eichel right now. Maybe that changes, maybe it doesn't. All that said, I still don't understand teams fans being reluctant to go after Eichel. This is precisely the type of player a smart organization should have on their radar. It's doubtful you ever get another chance at a player like him and at the moment his value is depressed.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
IMO, it's a weak package for Eichel.
I think Drysdale needs to be involved with Mactavish and #1.
I think Anaheim packages those 3 pieces that would be really difficult for the Sabres and Adams to say no.

There can be some massaging to a deal with these 3 pieces...
Maybe Sabres throw a bone and take Henrique and his 3 years off their hands.

If Eichel is traded for this package, then Anaheim is a playoff team in the west.
If he was healthy and happy sure, but he’s not

Reactions: duckpuck

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Ok let me rephrase:

If it's likely, as you seem to think, that Eichel will return to health and be a PPG player...

Then why would BUF trade him at all? Why wouldn't they take those ridiculously overrated prospects that you talk about, like say Cozens or Quinn, and trade them for players from other teams that will make the team better and build around Jack?

And since you think prospects are overrated why aren't you suggesting trading Quinn, Rosen and Peterka for a starting G and maybe a winger to play with Jack?
Eichel will be traded because he's unhappy and wants out, if that weren't the case the Sabres should absolutely keep him and be looking to surround him with more talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad