Speculation: Jack Eichel thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Any new rumours ? Are the flames the front runners ?

The Flames are in a weird spot. They need to make the playoffs this year likely to save Treliving’s job. And if they trade roster players for Eichel they’re less likely to make the playoffs because Eichel won’t be available.

They also have some cap issues next year with Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Magiapane and having Eichel’s salary won’t help there.

Reactions: HSF

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Have the Avalanche been rumored to any extent. They might have the young and current pieces to spare, but the question is weather they would be ready to do that.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Have the Avalanche been rumored to any extent. They might have the young and current pieces to spare, but the question is weather they would be ready to do that.
isnt Buf still refusing to take cap back? that kind of kills the trade for the Avs currently.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
There's absolutely no reason they should retain cap space on Eichel. Foolish.
Why not?
Isn't in their best interest to trade him at the best possible price? There are only 5 teams right now that CAN afford to take on Jack Eichel straight up without shipping anything out. Of course a potential deal would send some players the other way but doubt it will be a high salary guy.
If the Sabres are not retaining at all, it substantially reduces their market. If they retain something, some other teams might jump in and thus the price could increase.

EDIT: one of those 5 teams is actually Buffalo itself lol

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
isnt Buf still refusing to take cap back? that kind of kills the trade for the Avs currently.

Not the case

they need to balance the salary to stay above the cap floor. The time on this is 2-2 yrs of term.

they will not retain on Eichel or take back a pure cap dump for $+ yrs.

buffalo is around $64M so they need to take back $8M.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Why not?
Isn't in their best interest to trade him at the best possible price? There are only 5 teams right now that CAN afford to take on Jack Eichel straight up without shipping anything out. Of course a potential deal would send some players the other way but doubt it will be a high salary guy.
If the Sabres are not retaining at all, it substantially reduces their market. If they retain something, some other teams might jump in and thus the price could increase.

The problem is that any salary retained is retained for the duration of the contract. I don't see why the sabres would want to (or should for that matter) pay jack eichel for another 5 seasons. Especially if teams are truly asking for something around the 25-35% range. Buffalo could afford it for a year or two, but that would seriously hamstring them if they ever reach the level of being playoff bound or cup contenders.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Why not?

buffalo needs to still be above the floor so salary needs to come back

from Calgary Monahan and zdube/ Mang >$8M
Tuch and Smith from Vegas is around $9.7M
Anaheim Manson/Rakell is around $8M as is Comtois/Henrique

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Why not?

Or they could just take back a cap dump. No way in the universe Buffalo should retain anything.

Reactions: MacOfNiagara

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The problem is that any salary retained is retained for the duration of the contract. I don't see why the sabres would want to (or should for that matter) pay jack eichel for another 5 seasons. Especially if teams are truly asking for something around the 25-35% range. Buffalo could afford it for a year or two, but that would seriously hamstring them if they ever reach the level of being playoff bound or cup contenders.

the most buffalo goes with taking salary back us 3 years.

there was a reason they did 3 yr contracts for RFAs it gives them cap flexibility in evaluating Dahlin and other Dmen they have and Matthews an Ajo are to be UFAs that summer.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
the most buffalo goes with taking salary back us 3 years.

there was a reason they did 3 yr contracts for RFAs it gives them cap flexibility in evaluating Dahlin and other Dmen they have and Matthews an Ajo are to be UFAs that summer.
I am not sure i understand what you mean.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
By rumored accounts Eichel has been shopping around doctors and having difficulty finding any other ones agreeing ADR is the best for Eichel. If Eichel gets hit and his disc dislodges and he becomes paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of his life, is that Sabres doctors being selfish and neglecting to look out for his long term life outlook?

I guess I just don’t understand your major skepticism with the Sabres doctors motives when most other physicians agree with their stance.

Citation needed.

I'm reasonably sure the argument by Eichel's camp is going to be: Since the consequences of the surgery the Sabres want him to get (Fusion) is highly likely to stretch beyond his contract, he has the right to refuse and seek out other medical opinions, which he has and opted for a different procedure long term. The CBA was never intended to make a players health after their contract something to be decided by the team and the limit of a teams right to choose your healthcare ends when the contract is over. Any procedure with long term consequences, the player should have the final say in their healthcare.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Or they could just take back a cap dump. No way in the universe Buffalo should retain anything.

Which most likely is the way it would happen.

But that would rule out a team like the Avs who don't really have capdumps like that (especially not guys that don't have the ability to block a trade to Buffalo).
I also think other teams like Vegas would maybe not insist on retention (like the Avs) but atleast significantly increase their offers if they retain.

The most interesting speculation on that came from Friedman who said that the league might be willing to do a one-off and bend the rules a bit to get out of this mess that nobody (Eichel, Sabres, NHL, NHLPA) is happy with right now.
For example my sugggestion would be to allow the Sabres to retain 2M/ year but have it (the whole 10m) fully count against their cap in 2021 / 22 (where it really wouldn't matter capwise for them) and then don't charge them any further for the retention in the following years.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Not the case

they need to balance the salary to stay above the cap floor. The time on this is 2-2 yrs of term.

they will not retain on Eichel or take back a pure cap dump for $+ yrs.

buffalo is around $64M so they need to take back $8M.
indeed, i understand they need to hit the cap floor, however they have said they refuse to take cap back so that is why i said the avs are out currently. i honestly have not been keeping up with the news on him lately as its just hear say it seems but last i looked Adams said no to $ coming back.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
indeed, i understand they need to hit the cap floor, however they have said they refuse to take cap back so that is why i said the avs are out currently. i honestly have not been keeping up with the news on him lately as its just hear say it seems but last i looked Adams said no to $ coming back.
Last I heard the Sabres weren't willing to retain on Eichel's contract, I'm sure they will take significant salary back in the deal.

Reactions: Ehran

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Agree. If you want ADR, get it, but know the contract is void.

Jack needs to put HIS money where HIS mouth is.
The jilted lover routine is really gross. It's not your money what do you care? If it was you sure wouldn't risk voiding your contract.

Reactions: iginlafan77

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The jilted lover routine is really gross. It's not your money what do you care? If it was you sure wouldn't risk voiding your contract.
If it was me, I'd retire - I wouldn't risk my future over hockey - especially when I (likely) have tens of millions in the bank. And there are a bunch of CTE infected NFL players who'd probably agree with me.

Eichel signed the contract and he has to live with the terms. If he doesn't want to live with the terms, void the contract.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Last I heard the Sabres weren't willing to retain on Eichel's contract, I'm sure they will take significant salary back in the deal.
They will have to back big contracts so the team trading for Jack can fit in their cap. OR a third team gets involved to take the cap pressure but that will cost the sabres in return on jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad