Player Discussion Jack Campbell

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Knew this dude sucked balls watching his HIGHLIGHTS. How does one look like shit when someone curates video footage of the best you have to offer?

And this the guy the Oilers “scouted” and signed for 5 years at 5M with ZERO negotiations (competent job Kenny you lazy prick). And when I say “scouted” I mean the Oilers looked at one good 6 month stretch he had as a Leaf then ignored all the other red flags that his career was filled with.

Yeah I'll be honest, I remember watching his "highlight reel" from Toronto and not being that impressed. I was hoping he could at least be a Talbot tier guy here, but yeah he's simply not even that.

The funniest shit too is Schwartz said he personally scouted both Campbell and Kuemper, and overwhelmingly reccomended Campbell after watching according to him like hours upon hours of video on both. This guy is a moron.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah I'll be honest, I remember watching his "highlight reel" from Toronto and not being that impressed. I was hoping he could at least be a Talbot tier guy here, but yeah he's simply not even that.

The funniest shit too is Schwartz said he personally scouted both Campbell and Kuemper, and overwhelmingly reccomended Campbell after watching according to him like hours upon hours of video on both. This guy is a moron.

So Schwartz was our goalie scout too then. What a joke. And we just hired a new goalie scout this year, so it’s an admission that Schwartz wasn’t good enough. Now to get rid of him as a coach too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So Schwartz was our goalie scout too then. What a joke. And we just hired a new goalie scout this year, so it’s an admission that Schwartz wasn’t good enough. Now to get rid of him as a coach too.

Yeah I was kinda surprised when he stated that.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Time to waive Campbell & bring up Pickard. Dump Campbell or buy him out in the off season.

Could be nothing, but I hear that Campbell is getting waived (doubt that’s right away though).

Source? I’d love to read / hear that!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Could be nothing, but I hear that Campbell is getting waived (doubt that’s right away though).
This would be an indictment on Holland though. If it occurs I suspect Holland is booted as well. Along with the coaching staff. Seems unavoidable at this point.

Campbell being waived would be a hint that Holland isn't even the GM anymore either and frankly we didn't have one this offseason. So weird. Holland basically took the summer off. Connor Brown, still laughing.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Source?

So if he gets waived he’s 1.5M penalty against the cap? So we’re ahead 3.5M. 3.5M >>>> Shit Campbell so it makes sense.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree completly.
Although considering how much this team is struggling Campbell just cant give up that first goal.
Especially after the Oilers just started to generate some momentum.
Agreed, I wanted him to get the start but he completely screwed his team with that lousy goal against.

Reactions: guymez

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I expect a big shakeup move after the 10 games of shit they have just served up.

They could only beat a crappy Calgary team that was on the same level as them at the time and a Nashville squad that they had somehow always walked over in recent times... but even that streak is over now as well.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Knew this dude sucked balls watching his HIGHLIGHTS. How does one look like shit when someone curates video footage of the best you have to offer?

And this the guy the Oilers “scouted” and signed for 5 years at 5M with ZERO negotiations (competent job Kenny you lazy prick). And when I say “scouted” I mean the Oilers looked at one good 6 month stretch he had as a Leaf then ignored all the other red flags that his career was filled with.
Another reason Schwartz should be fired.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I agree completly.
Although considering how much this team is struggling Campbell just cant give up that first goal.
Especially after the Oilers just started to generate some momentum.
Yes both goaltending and defense are serious problems but to those who say send Campbell to the minors and acquire another goalie- you can only save 1.25M on his cap hit by sending him to Bako?-- so what other goalie can you sign for that amount of money? I think Rodrigue who is already in the organization is the only reasonable answer.

This is where bad cap management really bites hard--you are left with very limited options.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Waive him and maybe he finds his game in the AHL. Buy him out in the off season.

Make a trade with another dumpster team like SJ or something for one of their goalies. Who knows maybe we find our Hill. The path of doing nothing and hoping one of these guys turn it around is not an option.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
can Campbell be placed on LTIR? Clearly, he hasn’t recovered from the same problems last season and needs to be away from the game for an extended time, ie. short rests aren’t going to do it. I think that would be fundamentally necessary to stand any chance of finding his game again.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yes both goaltending and defense are serious problems but to those who say send Campbell to the minors and acquire another goalie- you can only save 1.25M on his cap hit by sending him to Bako?-- so what other goalie can you sign for that amount of money? I think Rodrigue who is already in the organization is the only reasonable answer.

This is where bad cap management really bites hard--you are left with very limited options.
There are no easy solutions. Thats totally on Holland.
As I said in another thread (and I have been saying for a while now)...Campbell shouldnt have been signed to a long term $5M contract in the first place.
How is it that a GM can actually look at Campbell and think...thats the goalie thats going to take this team to a Stanley Cup win. Wow.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Agreed, I wanted him to get the start but he completely screwed his team with that lousy goal against.
Was a bad goal to give up but Campbell saw no support whatsoever on the play. Forsberg flies right in at speed and Drai watches him go around instead of hauling him down. Forsberg is dangerous on wraparound plays and one of the better players at it. He gets around the net faster than most and of course no D was at the other side helping to interfere with the play. Usually what you see in wraparound attempts is them being thwarted by D taking position, or opponent being slowed or impeded in the attempt. None of that occurred on the goal. Forsberg was essentially untouched other than the slight tug Drai made.

Campbell made the mistake on the play of biting on the shot because Forsberg is good at shortside in close shots, so has to be respected. Campbell was committed, couldn't get across due to it, and goal. Note I'm not absolving Campbell, he made the wrong read on what was going to occur.

It was a well taken goal by Forsberg. But he's made a lot of teams look silly on that play. I don't blame Campbell btw on the other goals where Desharnais was doing nothing, or the O Reilly goal where Nurse was outmuscled to the post. For 9M buck Nurse that can't happen. The guy was signed to be a bull, one of the strongest players on ice. If he can't neutralize or contain players around the goal he and his contract shouldn't even be here.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Send Campbell down, bring up Pickard and during the off-season try and dump his contract with retention. I’d rather retain 2 million for 3 years over having a buyout penalty of 1.5 for 6 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad