Player Discussion Jack Campbell

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Just watch Campbell discover his inner Roloson in the playoffs and roll over the ice)) But seriously, this team plays like shit defensively. In a more structured system, Campbell would be better. In the Oilers system the prime Brodeur would be posting under .900 save percentage.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
The decision was made. We’re locked in for 5 years. He has been good in the past. Getting him help isn’t limited by the cap. Expand the goalie coaching dept. Voodoo can be fixed. Quit whinning and deal with it

Reactions: Mr Positive

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Just watch Campbell discover his inner Roloson in the playoffs and roll over the ice)) But seriously, this team plays like shit defensively. In a more structured system, Campbell would be better. In the Oilers system the prime Brodeur would be posting under .900 save percentage.
That's a silly claim to make considering skinner has above a .900 sv% and Mike Smith posted some great sv%s behind this same defense and structure

Reactions: TheSuperElite

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Under Campbell's horrific play prime mid-late 90's Devil's defensive trap would allow 4 goals per game against.

Blaming it on the defense is letting Campbell off the hook, plain and simple. Oilers allow some of the fewest high danger chances in the league on an overall basis, the goaltending isn't good enough plain and simple.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The decision was made. We’re locked in for 5 years. He has been good in the past. Getting him help isn’t limited by the cap. Expand the goalie coaching dept. Voodoo can be fixed. Quit whinning and deal with it
Ultimately this is bang on. There are pipe dreams out there such as including him in a Karlsson trade. Try I guess but Campbell is likely an Oiler next year.

I wonder if maybe the turmoil in his life last summer stole his focus from his game. I actually hope that is the case since at least it is a reason that could be fixed. Either way, this season being a bit of a slap in the face might make him dig down and find his game again

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
They play like shit defensively but Campbell is a terrible goalie on top of that. A good goalie can make a bad defence look okay. Campbell just makes everything look worse than it is with his horrid rebound control.

There should be zero excuses for Campbell at this point. He is bad on his own, and would be bad on any team in this league, even Boston.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

So Stuart Skinner is better than prime Brodeur?

Reactions: McTonyBrar

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
That surprises me...I thought they did have an analytics dept. Perhaps they need to add some expertise to properly utilize it.

That is a questionable stat IMO. That may be true for the bottom 6 but you just have to watch the top 6 in the D zone for a few games to see that its a shit show most of the time. Especially McDavids line.

Regarding Ceci...he has been asked to do too much since the day Holland acquired him. He is not and never will be a top pairing dman but this team puts him in that position because (as you aptly pointed out) Holland didnt prioritize a RHD for Nurse.

They definitely don’t have an analytics sept. They have the Mahe bros- who they say do analytics, but they spend most of their time booking busses and securing visas than analytics. Stauffer was saying this past summer that Holland was working on and it would take 9 months to build out- haven’t heard anything since

Reactions: guymez

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
It's not like Skinner is setting the world on fire either. Oilers are letting in 3-4 goals a game almost on a nihgtly basis.
He's been hot and cold but over the year has respectable numbers. Saying that a prime hof goalie wouldn't be able to have a .900sv% when literally every other oilers goalie over last few years -skinner, smith, even koskinen, has been able to is silly. Campbell is the only one that can't have a .900sv%. Literally everyone else has been able to. Unless your arguing that skinner, Smith and koskinen are all better than prime brodeur

Last edited:
Reactions: McTonyBrar

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
From an article in The Athletic today;

Jack Campbell, Oilers

Grade: F​

This is what I wrote back in late November: “So far his transition to Edmonton from Toronto has been nothing short of a disaster.”

No real change four months later.

Stuart Skinner’s excellent rookie NHL season and emergence as the No. 1 obviously takes a lot of the sting out of Campbell’s very disappointing first season in Edmonton (his .882 save percentage in 32 starts is 46th in the NHL) after signing a five-year, $25 million deal in free agency with the Oilers last summer.

USATSI_20147903-scaled.jpg

Morgan Barron scores on Jack Campbell. (James Carey Lauder / USA Today)

Obviously, it’s easy to criticize Oilers GM Ken Holland in retrospect, but I would argue he basically had two realistic options in free agency: Campbell or Kuemper. And I believe Kuemper had Washington higher on his list than Edmonton.

I don’t think Holland could risk going with a less established guy like Husso. He needed a track-record goalie. So the reasoning and the process that led to the Campbell signing, in my mind, was sound. But the result has not been so far. And the lack of confidence Campbell has in himself at times is noticeable.

I’m personally not ready to write Campbell off. He’s played too many good games in his career. I think a reset this summer will do him well.

But the 2022-23 season is something he needs to totally put behind him. Ugly.

Goals saved above expected: Minus-22, 97th among the 100 goalies ranked.

McLennan: “With Jack, because he plays an emotional game, confidence is a big part of it. He’s a heart-and-soul guy. He’s a good teammate. Everyone is pulling for him. But when he’s off his game, you can read it in his body language — you can read it in his play. I agreed with the process as far as why the Oilers signed him. You understand how the Oilers got there. They needed a veteran, established goalie. I’m still bullish on how it can work out. The Oilers still need him. I still believe he will be valuable to them. But flat out, he’s not performed this year, there’s no getting around it.”

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
That would take a minor miracle. I would appreciate that miracle, but yeah, that's just not going to happen.
These same things were being said about Mike Smith with maybe even more conviction. Goalies can get it together for spells and you never know for sure when it hits.

The goalie coach is really involved in this, and how low down both Campbell and Skinner are playing. Its a problem.

The goalie style of crouch, butterfly, pads on ice, it dominated for a time. That time has passed. Too much reliance on being in down sets just seems to play into the hands of snipers just raising the puck and making life hell for this style. Carbon Graphite stick has produced better and more accurate shooting. Guys putting puck bar under for fun. A guy like Kulak having out of body moments sniping puck just top shelf corner like a superstar. This is what goalies have to contend with more and reaction style goaltending rather than block style goaltending needs to come back more. Standing up allows more of that. Being down, as the goalies are being instructed takes the reaction option away on a lot of plays.

Fire the goalie coach today. Allow the goalies to bring in individual coaching of their selection.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
These same things were being said about Mike Smith with maybe even more conviction.
No, they weren't, the on ice results weren't even close and Smith ended up letting the team down (a bit) in the end.

I don't think you actually remember the season Smith had last year. I would be a large miracle if Smith could come back for the playoffs, if that's the comparison you're making.

Facts not hate
If you think Jack Campbell is going to take over for Stuart Skinner after the last 3 months of hockey, you just fundamentally hate Skinner and don't know what facts are.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
No, they weren't, the on ice results weren't even close and Smith ended up letting the team down (a bit) in the end.

I don't think you actually remember the season Smith had last year. I would be a large miracle if Smith could come back for the playoffs, if that's the comparison you're making.

If you think Jack Campbell is going to take over for Stuart Skinner after the last 3 months of hockey, you just fundamentally hate Skinner and don't know what facts are.
He did in the last 3 months already for a month stretch. You really are just lying to yourself at this point.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Under Campbell's horrific play prime mid-late 90's Devil's defensive trap would allow 4 goals per game against.

Blaming it on the defense is letting Campbell off the hook, plain and simple. Oilers allow some of the fewest high danger chances in the league on an overall basis, the goaltending isn't good enough plain and simple.
These are not mutually exclusive.

Skinner is affected by our poor defensive commitment and execution as well.

High Danger itself doesn't differentiate by contested shots and uncontested shots - which are the real issue here, we're leaving the shooter one-on-one on the goalie completely open, and many of our fans are expecting a .900 save percentage from these situatons.

Not to mention the dreck that Expected Goals are, current metrics do a poor job at quantifying defense and goaltending. There are many factors as to if a shot becomes a goal, and sometimes they just go in despite those factors. To wrap our current limited understanding of shots around a complex dataset with considerable randomness and come to definitive conclusions isn't science or mathematics, it's quackery.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad