Player Discussion Jack Campbell

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I was actually a big supporter of Kostko. But usually I would crap on the players for not giving him any run support and generally playing bad for him. Very similar to what they did to Skinner the first half of this year while always scoring like mad to make up for Campbell's consistent sub 0.890 goaltending.

That said, I still didn't remember Kostko had that good of a record last year. Gives a little perspective. I bet many using Campbell's 18-9-4 as proof he's actually not bad were also trying to launch 27-12-4 kostko into the sun.

Koskinen was a legit NHL goalie that got a lot of hate because Chia signed him to that contract when he didn't need to at that moment in time & posters took it as Chia's parting shot to us. He saved our season last year after Smith went down early for an extended period.

He would have been just fine in a tandem 1A & 1B situation.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Koskinen was a legit NHL goalie that got a lot of hate because Chia signed him to that contract when he didn't need to at that moment in time & posters took it as Chia's parting shot to us. He saved our season last year after Smith went down early for an extended period.

idk, Koskinen had his best stats as a true back up. Whenever he was expected to take the reigns as a #1 he folded. I'd agree that Koskinen would be better than Campbell for what we need right now. But, you never know. Maybe Campbell would recover his game better if he were the starter and we had to sink or swim with him. But, that is not happening.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Koskinen sucks. There’s a reason he isn’t in the NHL anymore.

He’s better than Campbell for sure but so is like every other goaltender.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Hope you feel better getting that off your chest.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Macheteops and TB12

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
idk, Koskinen had his best stats as a true back up. Whenever he was expected to take the reigns as a #1 he folded. I'd agree that Koskinen would be better than Campbell for what we need right now. But, you never know. Maybe Campbell would recover his game better if he were the starter and we had to sink or swim with him. But, that is not happening.
Yes he needed someone to share his load. But part of the thing is he was forced into too heavy load at times, at its worst 10 games in 17 days and he did pretty well until the last games when it started to get too much. He was very good in the little time he got to play in the last playoffs so I'd liked to see him on the net more when Smith played terribly at that time. I don't know why they decided to stick to Smith when everyone including the fans here saw he was far from his best and on the other hand rested Koskinen had looked almost better than ever.

Reactions: Zguy370

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Let’s see if I parse this correctly, you’re saying I should have a shorter memory about these things? I was actually pretty excited that Jack Campbell was coming here, but am at the point where the long term patterns and his history of having to “rebuild his game” might be who he is. They’ll keep him another season to see if he can rebuild it yet again. I hope he finds the help he needs in the off-season
I took it as embedding Goldfish DNA into Campbell fwiw.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Did Campbell ever have good fundamentals though?

No... all reflexes. He can't even butterfly without a massive gap in his five hole. It's very strange. He looks like a goalie from the eighties, which makes no sense given the gear we have now.

It doesn't help that he's small, plays small, and those reflexes are being masked by a lot of self doubt (if I put my goalie psych hat on)

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
No... all reflexes. He can't even butterfly without a massive gap in his five hole. It's very strange. He looks like a goalie from the eighties, which makes no sense given the gear we have now.

It doesn't help that he's small, plays small, and those reflexes are being masked by a lot of self doubt (if I put my goalie psych hat on)

He's actually not that small at 191cm-pretty much where most goalies are these days [or at least thereabouts]. He just makes himself small by scrunching up when hes in his stance. He's just weird all around.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He's actually not that small at 191cm-pretty much where most goalies are these days [or at least thereabouts]. He just makes himself small by scrunching up when hes in his stance. He's just weird all around.

If I knew nothing of Campbell, saw him play and someone asked me how tall I thought he was I would be guessing 5'11.

It almost defies science how small he looks in net to the point that I'm not sure someone isn't fudging his height measurements. At minimum can someone force him to get bigger equipment like literally every other goalie in the NHL? Whatever theory he is abiding by that causes him to think that using small equipment is a good idea simply isn't working. Or maybe his equipment is normal sized, but his fundamentals are so out to lunch that he just appears small. It's dumbfounding.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
If I knew nothing of Campbell, saw him play and someone asked me how tall I thought he was I would be guessing 5'11.

It almost defies science how small he looks in net to the point that I'm not sure someone isn't fudging his height measurements. At minimum can someone force him to get bigger equipment like literally every other goalie in the NHL? Whatever theory he is abiding by that causes him to think that using small equipment is a good idea simply isn't working. Or maybe his equipment is normal sized, but his fundamentals are so out to lunch that he just appears small. It's dumbfounding.
My exact thoughts, except I'd list him as 5'10 lol regardless, it's crazy to think of just the thought that we have to give recommendations / suggestions to an apparent pro hockey goalie signed for $millions as our No.1 starter, tips on how to better do his job is Ludacris in itself.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I think he updated his equipment to larger new shit now.

Reactions: nturn06

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What I meant was he updated them to newer shit already. He's still shit with the new shit. lol
Honestly I thought he adjusted all that equipment and then started to play well. Not sure what the hell happened after that though.

Had that 7 or 8 game win streak to start 2023 then started to shit the bed again.

And it wasn't even about him being an above average starter. He just needed to be average to give the team a chance

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

... and playing really deep in his crease. Not "Mike Smith I'm too old to move post to post and big enough I can get away with it" deep... but deep nonetheless

Reactions: frag2

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

My exact thoughts, except I'd list him as 5'10 lol regardless, it's crazy to think of just the thought that we have to give recommendations / suggestions to an apparent pro hockey goalie signed for $millions as our No.1 starter, tips on how to better do his job is Ludacris in itself.

I'm with you guys... he's lying about his height.

I thought I saw that his pads were 34+2"... that's what I wear and I'm 5'9. I don't remember if I noticed it with his old Vaughn's or newer Brian's set.

But it isn't the pads, as Frag mentioned, it's the stance and, IMO how deep he plays.

Reactions: frag2

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
@ VGK (B2B) - Skinner
v LAK - Skinner
v ANA - Campbell
@ LAK - Skinner
@ ANA (B2B) - Campbell
@ SJS (Afternoon game) - Campbell
@ COL - Skinner
v SJS - Campbell

Is my guess on how the goalies finish. Half of the games to Campbell to see if they can get him going and also give Skinner some pre-playoff rest in the last 4 games of the year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
@ VGK (B2B) - Skinner
v LAK - Skinner
v ANA - Campbell
@ LAK - Skinner
@ ANA (B2B) - Campbell
@ SJS (Afternoon game) - Campbell
@ COL - Skinner
v SJS - Campbell

Is my guess on how the goalies finish. Half of the games to Campbell to see if they can get him going and also give Skinner some pre-playoff rest in the last 4 games of the year.
Yours is a rare view here that realizes the importance of trying to get Campbell some starts to try to get him rolling. With Skinner we have average goaltending at best and its not getting better. With Campbell we have an unconfident goalie who has been struggling but who has higher end peak play potential. I realize almost the whole board are chanting Skinner starts all day but Skinner is not good enough to get a club on a playoff run. We have to at least try to kickstart Campbell.

Rest for Skinner is important too. His game deflates after multiple starts in a row and playoff series dates are often compressed format with lots of play and also potential for long OT. Skinner has trouble eating huge minutes behind pipes. I don't think he's a goalie we can run with every day.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'm with you guys... he's lying about his height.

I thought I saw that his pads were 34+2"... that's what I wear and I'm 5'9. I don't remember if I noticed it with his old Vaughn's or newer Brian's set.

But it isn't the pads, as Frag mentioned, it's the stance and, IMO how deep he plays.
Both our goalies are too low in the crouch rather than having straight back and covering higher. Not sure if this it to compensate for difficulties freezing pucks but it sure makes both goalies look smaller than they are. Both also too backed up in cage rather than challenging on lip of crease. This would appear to be for some reason what is being coached here.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Yours is a rare view here that realizes the importance of trying to get Campbell some starts to try to get him rolling. With Skinner we have average goaltending at best and its not getting better. With Campbell we have an unconfident goalie who has been struggling but who has higher end peak play potential. I realize almost the whole board are chanting Skinner starts all day but Skinner is not good enough to get a club on a playoff run. We have to at least try to kickstart Campbell.

Rest for Skinner is important too. His game deflates after multiple starts in a row and playoff series dates are often compressed format with lots of play and also potential for long OT. Skinner has trouble eating huge minutes behind pipes. I don't think he's a goalie we can run with every day.
As unlikely as it is, I agree with every word in this post.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Its why I wasn't mad when we didn't pull Campbell a few weeks ago. He needs to get going and Skinner needs rest. From being a sudden NHL starter and a new father, I can't imagine how exhausted he is right now...especially cause he was only probably expecting to play 20-30 games this season.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad