Player Discussion Jack Campbell

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Skinner has his issues at times, but holy shit, Campbell cannot see the light of day while we are in a playoff push.

IMO, Skinner's problems are sorta fixable. His indecisiveness with the puck (do I cover it or play it? if i play it should I ice it or dump it?) and his penchant to lose sight of puck if its constantly in motion ...the latter affects almost every goalie. That stuff can be coached or improved via experience.

Campbell is a god damn mess. It doesn't matter whether the shot is close or far out, its probably got high chance of being a GA.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
On the positive side of the Campbell situation, Stuart Skinner has been (for me) a revelation. I don't think the fanbase is appreciating him enough. Of 52 goalies appearing in 20+ games this year, Skinner currently has the 16th-best save percentage. With the possible exceptions of Saros and Craig Anderson, every one of the 15 goalies with better stats than Skinner play for teams that are defensively better than Edmonton.

And he's a fricking rookie who plays for the Oilers!! The last time we had this was Grant Fuhr in 1981-82.

By the way, I have no issues at all with Skinner's puck handling. Yeah, he sort of handed one away vs. Boston at the end of the first period, but no harm done, he still won the game. By and large, he's very safe and skilled handling the puck.

So, the total money going to Skinner and Campbell is about right -- maybe even a bargain. The problem is that most of it is going to Campbell...

Anyway, this year might be a write-off for Campbell. We'll see. But here's hoping he'll get it together for next season.

One would hope that when Skinner and Campbell are out for a drink after practice that Campbell is picking up the checks....

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I always try to stay positive but this guy just can't start another game for us. He is not an NHL caliber goaltender & the team knows it & that in itself a big problem.

Send him to Bakersfield & bring up whoever is starting there to backup Skinner. It just can't be worse than this.

This is utter insanity.

Woody!!!!

Please don't start this guy again!!!

You'd think something would hit him but, nope.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Who has looked better on the farm? Pickard or Rodriguez? I was kind of hoping at the start of the year that Fanti might emerge as a surprise but he's obviously #3 in Bakersfield.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
At least Mike Smith could shake off his blunders and rebound in games.

Koski also won us games at times, but was switch on way to little, and those 1st shot goal against was frustating.

Need to buy out Soup in the summer, saves 3.5m in cap, can easily live with 1.5m ×8 years because it will cost more to dump him to another team.

Our goalie scout need to be fired, soup was really bad in Toronto the 2nd half of last season. Wtf did they see that convinced them to go after him? and 5mx4 years?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Pretty sure Campbell escaped 2 or 3 L's on his record by sucking so hard so quickly that he got pulled with loads of time for the Oilers to try to come back, and Skinner ended up letting in the GWG. So Skinner gets the loss even if the Oilers scored more goals for than against during his time. That's just another one of Campbell's superb talents, like a guy making a bad defensive play and getting off the ice ASAP to give someone else the minus.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Pretty sure Campbell escaped 2 or 3 L's on his record by sucking so hard so quickly that he got pulled with loads of time for the Oilers to try to come back, and Skinner ended up letting in the GWG. So Skinner gets the loss even if the Oilers scored more goals for than against during his time. That's just another one of Campbell's superb talents, like a guy making a bad defensive play and getting off the ice ASAP to give someone else the minus.
He has atleast 1 loss from skinner sucking and the reverse happening

Reactions: oobga

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
As Oilers fans we saw this before with Dubnyk, a complete collapse of fundamentals and a year+ later he was a #1 with Minnesota.

Needs a reset, some patience, maybe a new personal goalie coach, but we shouldn't pay a premium to dump a guy who can help us down the road.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
As Oilers fans we saw this before with Dubnyk, a complete collapse of fundamentals and a year+ later he was a #1 with Minnesota.

Needs a reset, some patience, maybe a new personal goalie coach, but we shouldn't pay a premium to dump a guy who can help us down the road.

Dubnyk's cratering felt different. He definitely wasn't playing well, but that was also maybe the worst team I've ever seen defensively (the infamous "swarm" system era). He still sucked that year when he went elsewhere, but there was still some semblance of a goalie that can play in the NHL there.

Campbell? I've never seen a goalie this out of sorts in my life from every single perspective. It's like he has completely forgotten how to play the position.

Positioning? Way too deep, way too low. Always big holes under his arms and over his shoulders. Constantly loses his post.

Puck tracking? He can't see anything that comes in from above the hash marks. Always slow to react. I literally started laughing last night when the one shot in the 3rd went off his helmet as he had zero idea where it was. Struggles to fight through screens.

Movement? Constantly over commits, always slides straight across not across and out to the shooter which creates more space to the net.

Rebound control? Constantly shits pucks straight out to the middle of the ice. Saw example A of that last night.

Glove? Worst I've ever seen. Koskinen looks like Patrick Roy in comparison.

Mental strength? Don't even need to comment here.

His puck handling is ok. He moves pretty quick in his crease even if it is never actually helpful due to the other issues. He can make some sexy hero saves now and again, but those are washed out by multiple awful goals the other way. That's literally it.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Campbell needs time in the AHL as he can't be trusted to play in an NHL game. Pickard deserves some time up here.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Pretty sure Campbell escaped 2 or 3 L's on his record by sucking so hard so quickly that he got pulled with loads of time for the Oilers to try to come back, and Skinner ended up letting in the GWG. So Skinner gets the loss even if the Oilers scored more goals for than against during his time.

That happened against Columbus on February 25th. It's the only game this season I remember where Skinner took Campbell's deserved L.

Reactions: oobga

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022

No. There is zero chance Campbell rebounds like Dubnyk. Partly because Campbell hasn't hit the lows Dubnyk hit.

A little more context on Dubnyk. After the Oilers traded him to Nashville,, Dubnyk played in two games in Nashville before they shipped him to the AHL. Nashville then gave Dubnyk to Montreal for nothing because Montreal wanted a little depth. The Habs actually were in a jam and had to call Dubnyk up. Dubnyk was backing up Montreal's third-string goalie and the Habs still didn't trust Dubnyk enough to play him. Reasonable judgment as Dubnyk went 2-5-1 with a 3.33 GAA and an .893 save percentage for Montreal's AHL affiliate.

The next off-season Dubnyk then signed for $800K to back up Mike Smith with the Coyotes and played ok. 9-5-2 with a 2.72 GAA and a .916 save percentage. Decent numbers, but the Coyotes were fine shipping Dubnyk to Minnesota for a third round pick. Then Dubnyk had an incredible half season with Minnesota. 27-9-2 1.78 GAA and a .936 save percentage.

The Oilers, Predators, Habs and Coyotes all saw very little value in Dubnyk in the year before he caught fire in his magical half-season with Minnesota.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Now to get everyone excited.

There was a goalie with a 2:1 record over a decade ago with a sub 0.890 sav%. His name is Chris Osgood. The season was 08-09. The GM was Ken Holland. This fellow Osgood went on to win the cup :cool:

Edit: Correction, lost in finals in 2009. But hey, that's still pretty good!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad