Player Discussion Jack Campbell

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
there was a play at the start of the game where a shooter got the puck and was basically coming in at the left circle getting readty to shoot.

Campbell was basically standing and staring at the guy and just randomly slid over to block it with his pads. But he wasnt really set at all it was just a reaction-- he had time to come out and challenge like a normal goalie-imo. It seemed like how I would play goalie and I've never really played much hockey in my life let alone goalie.

But I dislike piling on Campbell---and honestly think the team is asking too much of both goalies a lot of the time.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
there was a play at the start of the game where a shooter got the puck and was basically coming in at the left circle getting readty to shoot.

Campbell was basically standing and staring at the guy and just randomly slid over to block it with his pads. But he wasnt really set at all it was just a reaction-- he had time to come out and challenge like a normal goalie-imo. It seemed like how I would play goalie and I've never really played much hockey in my life let alone goalie.

But I dislike piling on Campbell---and honestly think the team is asking too much of both goalies a lot of the time.

Quite a few of his "saves" happen to hit him, but it's apparent he has no idea where it is, or he's looking in a different direction.

Reactions: Vagabond

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hopefully he can just put this year behind him once the season ends.

As Oilers fans we saw this before with Dubnyk, a complete collapse of fundamentals and a year+ later he was a #1 with Minnesota.

Needs a reset, some patience, maybe a new personal goalie coach, but we shouldn't pay a premium to dump a guy who can help us down the road.
I think this is probably the most realistic road for a positive solution to the issue. Just need to hope that whatever went wrong this year is something he can put behind him and that he can move on from and grow out of.

I’m skeptical that he has a Dubnyk like resurgence, but there’s always a chance.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Quite a few of his "saves" happen to hit him, but it's apparent he has no idea where it is, or he's looking in a different direction.

Ill digress---that as ive admitted---he probably knows better than I on that play---maybe he was playing it correctly---but yeah its not just him---a lot of players you can tell when they look off and he did for the start of that game at least.

He seems sort of ok battling in a scrum maybe---maybe there is a reason why he was succeeeding at times with the leafs?

He should still be able to win if the team dominates in front of him....which is the goal.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Ill digress---that as ive admitted---he probably knows better than I on that play---maybe he was playing it correctly---but yeah its not just him---a lot of players you can tell when they look off and he did for the start of that game at least.

He seems sort of ok battling in a scrum maybe---maybe there is a reason why he was succeeeding at times with the leafs?

He should still be able to win if the team dominates in front of him....which is the goal.

He’s probably the mentally weakest player I’ve seen in major pro sports that has actually stuck around.

The skills are there, he just vanishes mentally for long periods where is he totally unplayable. Was up and down in Toronto then was up and down here. Hell, not 5 weeks ago had you asked me who should start if the playoffs started today I’m not sure I wouldn’t have answered with Campbell.

Most goalies at his level have a bad game, or maybe even a bad week. He has bad months, except not just “ah he’s a bit off” type of bad, it’s “how the f*** is he in this league to begin with” bad. That’s simply untenable no matter how good the ups are.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He’s probably the mentally weakest player I’ve seen in major pro sports that has actually stuck around.

The skills are there, he just vanishes mentally for long periods where is he totally unplayable. Was up and down in Toronto then was up and down here. Hell, not 5 weeks ago had you asked me who should start if the playoffs started today I’m not sure I wouldn’t have answered with Campbell.

Most goalies at his level have a bad game, or maybe even a bad week. He has bad months, except not just “ah he’s a bit off” type of bad, it’s “how the f*** is he in this league to begin with” bad. That’s simply untenable no matter how good the ups are.
I know everyone says that Campbell is just mentally weak, but it seems like a charitable answer to me. Maybe it is the case, but whenever I see someone sign a huge deal and they play bad I wonder if they put the work in over the summer. Although that would just be another kind of mental weakness

Reactions: K1984

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
As Oilers fans we saw this before with Dubnyk, a complete collapse of fundamentals and a year+ later he was a #1 with Minnesota.

Needs a reset, some patience, maybe a new personal goalie coach, but we shouldn't pay a premium to dump a guy who can help us down the road.

Did Campbell ever have good fundamentals though?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Ya he’d cost a fortune to move, so you have to figure it out. Burke fixed Dubnyk pretty quick in Arizona. I’d love if we could poach him from Vegas. Give him the assistant GM role (make up a position. It’s just money) he’s always wanted if that’s what it takes.

Dubnyk's cratering felt different. He definitely wasn't playing well, but that was also maybe the worst team I've ever seen defensively (the infamous "swarm" system era). He still sucked that year when he went elsewhere, but there was still some semblance of a goalie that can play in the NHL there.

Campbell? I've never seen a goalie this out of sorts in my life from every single perspective. It's like he has completely forgotten how to play the position.

Positioning? Way too deep, way too low. Always big holes under his arms and over his shoulders. Constantly loses his post.

Puck tracking? He can't see anything that comes in from above the hash marks. Always slow to react. I literally started laughing last night when the one shot in the 3rd went off his helmet as he had zero idea where it was. Struggles to fight through screens.

Movement? Constantly over commits, always slides straight across not across and out to the shooter which creates more space to the net.

Rebound control? Constantly shits pucks straight out to the middle of the ice. Saw example A of that last night.

Glove? Worst I've ever seen. Koskinen looks like Patrick Roy in comparison.

Mental strength? Don't even need to comment here.

His puck handling is ok. He moves pretty quick in his crease even if it is never actually helpful due to the other issues. He can make some sexy hero saves now and again, but those are washed out by multiple awful goals the other way. That's literally it.

Disagree. Dubnyk was the most broken goalie I’ve ever seen. He literally didn’t know how to butterfly. There was no semblance of an NHL goalie there. He did worse in Nashville with a stacked defense, and even in the AHL.

Campbell’s problem seems more mental.

Campbell closing in on a 20 win debut season with the Oilers. What a beauty
:sarcasm:

And he literally might be like 30-1 if he played to his previous level. It’s crazy how much run support he gets

Get him an actual goalie coach maybe...

Doesn’t Skinner like Schwartz? But Campbell definitely doesn’t seem to be clicking with him. We’ve had 2 goalie coaches for a while so I’d like to see Rodrigue spend all his time in the AHL, and bring in someone else to try and fix Campbell

Useless plug

May 23, 2021
At least Mike Smith could shake off his blunders and rebound in games.

Koski also won us games at times, but was switch on way to little, and those 1st shot goal against was frustating.

Need to buy out Soup in the summer, saves 3.5m in cap, can easily live with 1.5m ×8 years because it will cost more to dump him to another team.

Our goalie scout need to be fired, soup was really bad in Toronto the 2nd half of last season. Wtf did they see that convinced them to go after him? and 5mx4 years?
Man, think about how dire things are when fans see 8 years of dead cap as an attractive option...

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm shocked to look back and see Kostko was 27-12-4 last year (0.903 sav% and 3.10). I guess he was a master of making "key saves" too like Campbell. Or the Oilers have been outscoring goaltending for a while now.

Bad goaltending sinks you in the playoffs though when the powerplays stop coming and the opposition is studying you through a series. Really hope Skinner is up for it!

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I'm shocked to look back and see Kostko was 27-12-4 last year (0.903 sav% and 3.10). I guess he was a master of making "key saves" too like Campbell. Or the Oilers have been outscoring goaltending for a while now.

Bad goaltending sinks you in the playoffs though when the powerplays stop coming and the opposition is studying you through a series. Really hope Skinner is up for it!
Or you just misremembered & had already decided that he sucked.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Or you just misremembered & had already decided that he sucked.
I was actually a big supporter of Kostko. But usually I would crap on the players for not giving him any run support and generally playing bad for him. Very similar to what they did to Skinner the first half of this year while always scoring like mad to make up for Campbell's consistent sub 0.890 goaltending.

That said, I still didn't remember Kostko had that good of a record last year. Gives a little perspective. I bet many using Campbell's 18-9-4 as proof he's actually not bad were also trying to launch 27-12-4 kostko into the sun.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
I was actually a big supporter of Kostko. But usually I would crap on the players for not giving him any run support and generally playing bad for him. Very similar to what they did to Skinner the first half of this year while always scoring like mad to make up for Campbell's consistent sub 0.890 goaltending.

That said, I still didn't remember Kostko had that good of a record last year. Gives a little perspective. I bet many using Campbell's 18-9-4 as proof he's actually not bad were also trying to launch 27-12-4 kostko into the sun.

I think part of it with Koskinen was the subjective aspects of his “bad games” like a softy to let the opposing team in while up, first shot on net (hilariously with the first 4 shots or whatever against the Nucks - was that the season before though?), and just generally looking shaky in a lot of his starts and the puck seeming to hit him just by virtue of being big. This is all not mentioning his infamous frying pan glove hand

That being said, Campbell has pretty much beat him in all of those categories, with the Jets “give up the next shot after the Oilers tie it up” replacing the Kosko getting lit up to start the game vs the Nucks hilarity

Reactions: oobga

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Our problem is the here and now though.
Before posting they should give out brown bags for fans to hyperventilate with.

I think part of it with Koskinen was the subjective aspects of his “bad games” like a softy to let the opposing team in while up, first shot on net (hilariously with the first 4 shots or whatever against the Nucks - was that the season before though?), and just generally looking shaky in a lot of his starts and the puck seeming to hit him just by virtue of being big. This is all not mentioning his infamous frying pan glove hand

That being said, Campbell has pretty much beat him in all of those categories, with the Jets “give up the next shot after the Oilers tie it up” replacing the Kosko getting lit up to start the game vs the Nucks hilarity
You need to incorporate goldfish dna. That said, I think the goaltending has been more consistent this year. Hopefully Campbell can re- discover his confidence.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Before posting they should give out brown bags for fans to hyperventilate with.

You need to incorporate goldfish dna.

Let’s see if I parse this correctly, you’re saying I should have a shorter memory about these things? I was actually pretty excited that Jack Campbell was coming here, but am at the point where the long term patterns and his history of having to “rebuild his game” might be who he is. They’ll keep him another season to see if he can rebuild it yet again. I hope he finds the help he needs in the off-season

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Let’s see if I parse this correctly, you’re saying I should have a shorter memory about these things? I was actually pretty excited that Jack Campbell was coming here, but am at the point where the long term patterns and his history of having to “rebuild his game” might be who he is. They’ll keep him another season to see if he can rebuild it yet again. I hope he finds the help he needs in the off-season
I think we are somewhat stuck with him. He may relegated to backup if he continues to have nervous problems.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

.903 is looking pretty damn good right now

Reactions: oobga

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad