Player Discussion Jack Campbell

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I agree the Oilers need a new goalie coach. It's insane that he's lasted through as many head coach changes as we've had and we always have goaltending issues.

But the Jack Campbell of "last season" disappeared in January of last year in Toronto. His game completely collapsed half way through last season. Shame on the Oilers for not recognizing that trend or thinking they could correct it.
Interesting comment. I just looked at splits for last season. He was good Oct. Nov, Dec, and April.
Jan, Feb was a struggle and March was BAD. How does he reset from that March to that April?

Maybe we can hope for another April resurrection. I don't put as much stock in playoff numbers as a lot of other stuff happens in playoffs and short sample and stronger opponent.

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
I agree the Oilers need a new goalie coach. It's insane that he's lasted through as many head coach changes as we've had and we always have goaltending issues.

But the Jack Campbell of "last season" disappeared in January of last year in Toronto. His game completely collapsed half way through last season. Shame on the Oilers for not recognizing that trend or thinking they could correct it.

The fact that Holland overlooked this and not only signed him, but long-term and for more than he's ever been worth, tells me we need a new GM.

Interesting comment. I just looked at splits for last season. He was good Oct. Nov, Dec, and April.
Jan, Feb was a struggle and March was BAD. How does he reset from that March to that April?

Maybe we can hope for another April resurrection. I don't put as much stock in playoff numbers as a lot of other stuff happens in playoffs and short sample and stronger opponent.

Honestly, I don't think he's even worth the risk in the playoffs, if we even get there, unless our hands are absolutely tied. I'm not joking when I say that if Mike Smith can somehow come back, we might be in a better place in net.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Most goalies stay upright in the butterfly position and try to stay square to the shooter as they slide across the net. This guy shows it well.

Yeah, Campbell is decidedly not doing this like other goalies across the league and he is so deep in the blue paint as he collapses forward from the waist. It just seems like both his mechanics and spacial positioning are badly flawed?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
He tries to play like Quick but you do that in tight not from shots from the points. Most 6+ft goalies would make themselves as big as possible in long rang shots but he always goes to his knees and does the shoulder down thing so any redirected shots usually go right over his shoulder which is usually at the same height of most players knees.
Going into the butterfly is not the issue. The issue is he does it a foot inside the blue paint moving backwards. Why? I dunno.

Watch Shesterkin and how aggressive he is towards the top of the blue paint in comparison. I can see the appeal of someone like Campbell because if he can get his fundamentals down, he has the athleticism to be a great goalie.

Reactions: ujju2 and Laodongxi

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Going into the butterfly is not the issue. The issue is he does it a foot inside the blue paint moving backwards. Why? I dunno.

Watch Shesterkin and how aggressive he is towards the top of the blue paint in comparison. I can see the appeal of someone like Campbell because if he can get his fundamentals down, he has the athleticism to be a great goalie.

The thing I see with both Shesterkin and Quick is that when they are down in the full butterfly splits they are still able to maneuver and respond and get back up if necessary. Campbell often is falling completely forward onto the ice and is helpless if the puck is not already under him or in his glove. I agree about his athleticism and potential. It is mind boggling that those flaws haven't been addressed at this level though.

Reactions: Raab

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

It is an issue when what follows the butterfly is making yourself as short as possible so more than half of the net is wide open. Thats not how you stop redirects or point shots in general.

Reactions: Raab

PSfan

Dec 20, 2018
If he didn’t play well down the stretch when he was finally healthy maybe we don’t even make the playoff or had to play Colorado earlier. Smith was one of the best contracts in the nhl over his time here.
No, once the calendar flipped to April, we where destined to play the kings first round no-matter what we did: Win out the month and we still fall 2 points behind the flames. in order for Vegas to catch us would mean we would had to lose (if my quick math is correct) 6 games more games then we did in April, and 5 in regulation. considering out of the 9 games Smith played in April, with 6 of them were against teams below us in the standings at the time of the games, I think we would have still make no matter who played those games. So I'll say this, Koskinen had gotten us to the playoffs before Smith supposedly found his game.

Your second point about Smith having the best contracts in the NHL, Also ef NO! his final 2 year contract is why we have Campbell now. And in hindsight, Re-uniting Smith and Tippet and daggling a games played bonus in Smith's first 2 contracts was insane.

Edit: Meant to Add, I think its Crazy that despite how bad Campbell has looked, I believe this last loss to Winnipeg represents only his 2nd regulation loss of 2023? He really should have a new mask made with images of Domino from the deadpool 2 movie, he seems to have a similar "lucky" superpower.

Last edited:

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
Edit: Meant to Add, I think its Crazy that despite how bad Campbell has looked, I believe this last loss to Winnipeg represents only his 2nd regulation loss of 2023? He really should have a new mask made with images of Domino from the deadpool 2 movie, he seems to have a similar "lucky" superpower.
Because for a few games he was pulled so early that Skinner was given the L instead.

PSfan

Dec 20, 2018
Because for a few games he was pulled so early that Skinner was given the L instead.
Well, I can only think of one instance where Skinner replaced Campbell and got the L, but that's really besides the point I was making, It really doesn't matter if its because an offensive outbreak by the oilers, or because Skinner came it to inherit the L, by some magical means, Campbell seems to dodge the L's.

Now I find your post here ironic based on what you posted on the mains yesterday in the "What is the single worst decision your team ever made?" thread:

His mistakes even haunted us last postseason, when we had to play Koskinen (his signing) in lieu of Smith and he choked hard.

Considering Koskinen only played when Smith shit the bed, and was saddled with 2 L's during the playoffs... and the most ironic, hmmm, lets play a game, in the first game of the Avs series all four dressed goalies played, based on the stats, which goalie got the L, and which got the W:

3ga 21sa 18sv .857 S%
6ga 25sa 19sv .760 S%
1ga 21sa 20sv .952 S%
3ga 16sa 13sv .812 S%

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
Well, I can only think of one instance where Skinner replaced Campbell and got the L, but that's really besides the point I was making, It really doesn't matter if its because an offensive outbreak by the oilers, or because Skinner came it to inherit the L, by some magical means, Campbell seems to dodge the L's.

Now I find your post here ironic based on what you posted on the mains yesterday in the "What is the single worst decision your team ever made?" thread:

Considering Koskinen only played when Smith shit the bed, and was saddled with 2 L's during the playoffs... and the most ironic, hmmm, lets play a game, in the first game of the Avs series all four dressed goalies played, based on the stats, which goalie got the L, and which got the W:

3ga 21sa 18sv .857 S%
6ga 25sa 19sv .760 S%
1ga 21sa 20sv .952 S%
3ga 16sa 13sv .812 S%

Ok...cool, thanks for tracking my posting history. I feel special. Not sure what your point is here? So Koskinen got the blame for Smith's f***ups, including from me, and then I turn around and blame Campbell being pulled for Skinner's win-loss record being worse than his. That is interesting, and maybe I gave Koskinen unfair credit for the playoffs. Honestly though, Koskinen wasn't very good during his time here and I stand by his signing being a mistake, but Campbell is so much worse that we maybe we should have begged for Koskinen OR Smith to come back this season...

But what are you trying to prove other than pointing out something cute?

Realistically, wins and losses for goalies mean little because that's a team stat. I was just making a safe assumption based on his recent play and trying to figure out if it was something more than luck. My apologies to Mr. Koskinen. Compared to Campbell, he is sorely missed.

EDIT: Forgive me if you started replying when my post was different.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We got swindled by the Toronto hype machine worse then the time we hired Dallas Eakins
The Toronto hype machine actually said Campbell was bad. If Holland is guilty of anything it's only looking at season averages, or rolling the dice on Campbell's hot streaks becoming more common as he gains experience

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Getting really annoyed with the "he's such a great guy" response. If he such a great guy he would return the money he has stolen this year.

If he such a great guy give him a front office job ffs cuz he is far from a nhl goalie. There was obviously a reason why he had so few games played since entering the league esp as a high d4aft puck with big expectations

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Getting really annoyed with the "he's such a great guy" response. If he such a great guy he would return the money he has stolen this year.

If he such a great guy give him a front office job ffs cuz he is far from a nhl goalie. There was obviously a reason why he had so few games played since entering the league esp as a high d4aft puck with big expectations
He can even keep the money. All 25 million in fact... as long as he does so on LTIRetirement - mental health maintenance. I have nothing against the guy wanting to set up his family with generational wealth, just do the team paying you that money a favour and get the f*** off the roster.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

“If he was a great guy he should give up 25 million dollars.“

He’s a good guy not Jesus.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The thing I see with both Shesterkin and Quick is that when they are down in the full butterfly splits they are still able to maneuver and respond and get back up if necessary. Campbell often is falling completely forward onto the ice and is helpless if the puck is not already under him or in his glove. I agree about his athleticism and potential. It is mind boggling that those flaws haven't been addressed at this level though.
ha. You haven't seen Quick lately. Once he's down he's gump worsly until somehow theres a whistle or an inevitable goal scored. I've seen him down swimming around on his belly for extended sequences and often. Whatever style he had at one time is gone. His style now is pure panic, his approach is to hit the deck like a bomb is going off several times a period.

The he gets up with a smug look of "well none of that was my fault" This had to have gotten old for everybody.

Reactions: Laodongxi

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
ha. You haven't seen Quick lately. Once he's down he's gump worsly until somehow theres a whistle or an inevitable goal scored. I've seen him down swimming around on his belly for extended sequences and often. Whatever style he had at one time is gone. His style now is pure panic, his approach is to hit the deck like a bomb is going off several times a period.

The he gets up with a smug look of "well none of that was my fault" This had to have gotten old for everybody.
If Quick doesn't turn it around in Vegas, he needs to retire. He's near the bottom of the league in all relevant areas with Campbell.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Ironically, that is exactly what the goalie coach Smith hired worked on to correct. It was standing on his feet and not falling forward. He also worked on his hand positioning to enable them move quicker and more freely. Your post is just further evidence Schwartz has to go

Reactions: Laodongxi

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

I must have been watching old clips of Quick. I did notice that he did look a little like Campbell at times but he was still very acrobatic.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation

I want a dislike button.

Reactions: Kinibo and TB12

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Nice to see some of you finally come on board, but unfortunately I think it may be a little too late for this season. Hang in there McDrai !!??

Zguy370

Registered User​

I may be in the minority, but we are really overlooking our Goalie situation. I have no faith in Campbell, and putting our faith in rookie Skinner is going to haunt us in the playoffs. Won't be easy with Campbell's contract, would like Korpisalo

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
When someone is paid very, very well to stop pucks and they aren't doing that which in turn is costing the team wins and a higher position in the standings, it's not finding a successor-his numbers are more than supportive for the criticism. The guy is flat out costing this team wins. A team should not need to score 6-8 goals a night when a certain goalie plays unless it's rec hockey, but here we are.

Anyways...in general, the Oilers have one back to back left so Campbell should be stapled to the bench and he can get the front game against AZ. Gotta run with Skinner here on out. It's too late in the season with too much at stake to be playing him hoping he gets his game back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Oilhawks

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
When someone is paid very, very well to stop pucks and they aren't doing that which in turn is costing the team wins and a higher position in the standings, it's not finding a successor-his numbers are more than supportive for the criticism. The guy is flat out costing this team wins. A team should not need to score 6-8 goals a night when a certain goalie plays unless it's rec hockey, but here we are.

Anyways...in general, the Oilers have one back to back left so Campbell should be stapled to the bench and he can get the front game against AZ. Gotta run with Skinner here on out. It's too late in the season with too much at stake to be playing him hoping he gets his game back.
Looks like two back to backs Yotes and Vegas then LA and Anaheim. I don’t mind giving him those two but outside of that we ride skinner every game.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

Yeah the only games he should get from now on are the back to backs (preferably against the shittier teams in Arizona and Anaheim) and maybe the last 1 or 2 games of the season if, and only if, we've A) clinched the playoffs, B) not at risk of running into Colorado round 1 as wildcard.

Reactions: MessierII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad