Player Discussion Jack Campbell

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
What the hell happened to the Campbell that got .914 sv % last year. Someone check lost and found at the airport.
I am guilty of liking the signing. I watched most Leafs games last year.

This guy was literally playing vezina level for a month and a half lol. We give up less High Danger Chances than the Leafs this year.

I think he has a lot of psychological issues just in terms of sports and staying even keel.

I think there a good goalie there but I have no faith in Dustin Schwartz to do anything meaningful
You know, when something is not doing good for a long time in business, sometimes you just make changes for the sake of making changes after a 10+ year run.

This guy has cart blanche

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yes, Campbell has been beyond putrid, everybody knows this. The reality is that he is out backup for the rest of the year. They aren't going to send him to the minors in the middle of a playoff run. It just isn't going to happen, as much as people want it to. There are 19 games left with only 2 sets of back to back games. Unless Skinner ALSO falls off a cliff, I suspect that Campbell will only be getting 2, or maybe 3, more starts the rest of the way. Assuming we lose those 3 games because he is hot garbage, we are likely going to need to go something like 10-6 in the Skinner starts to end up at 96 points (which is traditionally a good cutoff for playoffs). I think that is still doable, as it would be a .625 winning % with Skinner in net, which isn't too much higher than our season win%.

He needs to hang out with Mike Smith if confidence is an issue. That guy let in a goal from the other side of the ice in the playoffs and it didn’t phase him at all.

haha, yeah, say what you will about Smith, but confidence was never the issue.

Reactions: bellagiobob

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
The good thing is that the Oilers are a top team now. You look at their underlying numbers and we are good. Bad thing is that we better hope SKinner plays above average in the playoffs.

God, if we had consistent goaltending I would put us favorites for the finals or at worst a hard series in a Western Final

I legit think we could go far or phase out in round 1 b/c of it

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Nobody wants to do it but he player and the agent can’t argue with a demotion to the AHL to play a lot of games over the next few weeks. Not gonna get better sitting on the bench needs to work out the yips in game action. Send him down and pray someone like Arizona takes him off waivers

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Great guy that needs to desperately hit the reset button. It's cliche but he needs to finish strong. Forget about everything to this point and just focus on his game and not get down when things don't go his way.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Great guy that needs to desperately hit the reset button. It's cliche but he needs to finish strong. Forget about everything to this point and just focus on his game and not get down when things don't go his way.
We've seen some incredible athletic saves from him from time to time. so the physical part of it is fine. Unfortunately, at this level, with everyone so tight, what separates the pack is the mental fortitude, focus and toughness, and he is lacking in that area badly.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
You can say whatever about Smith this & Koskinen that but neither of those 2 would lose confidence because they let in a goal that wasn't really their fault & have it affect them for games or weeks on end.

Jack Campbell is a basket case & can't be trusted. I don't care what anyone says, the players, while liking & having empathy for the guy, also KNOW he can't be trusted & this is a huge problem.

Reactions: frag2

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
Many posters have shown Campbell’s stats declined last year in TOR and measurably. Is skinner going to win the con smythe? No, but he’s reliable .910 and even last game was well above that until our team got lazy.
It seems our org is plagued with old boys club syndrome.

This wasn't just a bad signing in hindsight, this was a bad signing at the time!

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Something many people have commented on but I still can't get my head around it? How in the hell does he manage to look so tiny in net when he is 6'3! That's quite the trick. And so Oilers. LOL!
It's like he folds his shoulders in and just shrinks. I feel like just keeping his shoulder up and holding his chest out high would have him cover a bigger portion of the net.

Reactions: Laodongxi

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Something many people have commented on but I still can't get my head around it? How in the hell does he manage to look so tiny in net when he is 6'3! That's quite the trick. And so Oilers. LOL!
Kosko was the same. I called him Little Big Man from the first time I saw him play.

Reactions: Laodongxi

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Reimer is having a tough year but he is at .892SV% and this is the first time in his career he has been under .900. He wanted to go to a contender.

I'd revist the Karlsson deal in before the draft.

To SJ: Yamamoto, Ceci, Campbell ($1.75M retained) 2024 1st 2026 1st
To Edmonton: Karlsson ($4.25M retained --$3.50M by SJ and $725K by third team) Rights to Reimer

To get the third team to retain Edmonton gives their 2023 second and SJ give a 2023 3rd and 2023 4th

SJ has to sign a goalie anyway. Campbell at $3.25M might be a decent bounce back risk. If he does not rebound they can buy out the last two or three years of his deal.
Like the idea of retaining on Campbell rather than a buyout. Why end up paying in cap for twice as long?
Not sold on giving multiple first rounders for Karlsson, but I see what you are getting at.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
It's like he folds his shoulders in and just shrinks. I feel like just keeping his shoulder up and holding his chest out high would have him cover a bigger portion of the net.
I need to watch some video in slow motion. I'll watch for the folding shoulders. There seems to be so many wide open areas available compared to most other modern goalies. He's so gifted athletically. It's such a shame he can't figure it out yet. He should hire his own goalie coach.

Reactions: Oilhawks and PuckG

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yes, Campbell has been beyond putrid, everybody knows this. The reality is that he is out backup for the rest of the year. They aren't going to send him to the minors in the middle of a playoff run. It just isn't going to happen, as much as people want it to. There are 19 games left with only 2 sets of back to back games. Unless Skinner ALSO falls off a cliff, I suspect that Campbell will only be getting 2, or maybe 3, more starts the rest of the way. Assuming we lose those 3 games because he is hot garbage, we are likely going to need to go something like 10-6 in the Skinner starts to end up at 96 points (which is traditionally a good cutoff for playoffs). I think that is still doable, as it would be a .625 winning % with Skinner in net, which isn't too much higher than our season win%.

haha, yeah, say what you will about Smith, but confidence was never the issue.
Indeed Smith had enough confidence in himself to rebuff the goalie coaching offered to him here (the usual) and ran with his own style instead.

Its time for Jack Campbell to do that. People ask what happened to the Campbell of last season. Dustin Schwartz?

I'll ask anybody here. Which Veteran goalies did Dustin Schwartz ever improve?

Anybody?

On what basis, any, does Justin Schwartz still have employment here?

This was posted over a year ago and a bit of a rundown. The one thing wrong on the article is that Smith and Talbot both at times deferred on using Schwartz much at times.

But we still have the same problem.

Nor do I think teams should have a one size fits all goalie coach. There are block goalies and reaction goalies and blends of the two. We have a goalie coach that sells block form all day long. Its a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Probably not, but it’s inevitable in this market and any player signing here would and should know that.
It undoubtedly will. Edmonton has run many guys out of town over the years.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Ok, just from watching some slow mo of Campbell this year compared to slow mo of random goalies around the league, something jumps out for me.

And what is jumping out, is Campbell himself, possibly? He seems to be committing himself fully more often than not, by folding forward from the hips and collapsing forward right down to the ice as he drops into the spits. If it doesn't work or if the player dekes or changes the angle slightly he is completely helpless and lying chest forward on the ice with the net wide open. He will make some spectacular saves like that but if he misses it is almost a sure goal.

I don't see other goalies committing fully like this. They are able to follow the dekes and angle changes far more effectively it seems.

Or I could just be talking out of my ass. It would be nice to hear from some goalies or posters that watch and analyze goalies closely.

(With Singh commentary as added Bonus)

Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Ok, just from watching some slow mo of Campbell this year compared to slow mo of random goalies around the league, something jumps out for me.

And what is jumping out, is Campbell himself, possibly? He seems to be committing himself fully more often than not, by folding forward from the hips and collapsing forward right down to the ice as he drops into the spits. If it doesn't work or if the player dekes or changes the angle slightly he is completely helpless and lying chest forward on the ice with the net wide open. He will make some spectacular saves like that but if he misses it is almost a sure goal.

I don't see other goalies committing fully like this. They are able to follow the dekes and angle changes far more effectively it seems.

Or I could just be talking out of my ass. It would be nice to hear from some goalies or posters that watch and analyze goalies closely.
I'm not gonna pretend I'm an expert on goalies but I do notice him lying down sprawled out and panicking quite often even if he makes the save. Smith is another goalie who was quite chaotic and even he didn't even seem to be down on his sides/stomach as much as Campbell.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
We've seen some incredible athletic saves from him from time to time. so the physical part of it is fine. Unfortunately, at this level, with everyone so tight, what separates the pack is the mental fortitude, focus and toughness, and he is lacking in that area badly.
His positioning is so bad, that is why he has to make those saves from time to time. I do not understand how he was an all-star last year with this positioning.

Reactions: Kerberos

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Indeed Smith had enough confidence in himself to rebuff the goalie coaching offered to him here (the usual) and ran with his own style instead.

Its time for Jack Campbell to do that. People ask what happened to the Campbell of last season. Dustin Schwartz?

I'll ask anybody here. Which Veteran goalies did Dustin Schwartz ever improve?

Anybody?

On what basis, any, does Justin Schwartz still have employment here?

This was posted over a year ago and a bit of a rundown. The one thing wrong on the article is that Smith and Talbot both at times deferred on using Schwartz much at times.

But we still have the same problem.

Nor do I think teams should have a one size fits all goalie coach. There are block goalies and reaction goalies and blends of the two. We have a goalie coach that sells block form all day long. Its a problem.
I agree the Oilers need a new goalie coach. It's insane that he's lasted through as many head coach changes as we've had and we always have goaltending issues.

But the Jack Campbell of "last season" disappeared in January of last year in Toronto. His game completely collapsed half way through last season. Shame on the Oilers for not recognizing that trend or thinking they could correct it.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Most goalies stay upright in the butterfly position and try to stay square to the shooter as they slide across the net. This guy shows it well.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

He tries to play like Quick but you do that in tight not from shots from the points. Most 6+ft goalies would make themselves as big as possible in long rang shots but he always goes to his knees and does the shoulder down thing so any redirected shots usually go right over his shoulder which is usually at the same height of most players knees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad