Player Discussion Jack Campbell

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
At least Skinner is a rookie and should improve on this season.

I'm not sure our window is wide enough to risk another year on Campbell trying to get his game together. I'd seriously look into buying him out in the off-season assuming no one is going to take his contract from us. The buyout would give us $3.45 and $3.85 million in cap space the next two seasons which would be more than enough to replace him. The buyout penalty of $1.55 million from 2028 to 2031 doesn't seem so bad when you realize our window will be closed by then.
If the GM who signed him wasn't the current GM, this might be an option. And Holland, was an NHL goalie!

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Ouch. He’s playing like crap, but booing a guy with confidence issues isn’t exactly going to help.
If a paying fan wants to boo a player they have every right to. There's a reciprocal relationship between fans and members of the team and if part of my money is going into Jack Campbell's pocket I expect him to play at an NHL level. Jack Campbell has not held up his end of the bargain.

Reactions: MessierThanThou

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
He has no business playing on any NHL team. He should ask to be sent down at this point
He really can't be in net and I'm pissed that Woody didn't ride Skinner tonight - at least until they are securely in. Now the pressure is squarely on Skinner anyway.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
He has no business playing on any NHL team. He should ask to be sent down at this point
Not saying the result will be the same, but I remember similar comments last fall posted about Smith. He ended up finding his game. I get being pissed off at a player, and wish he wasn’t here, but doesn’t do anyone any good to purposefully boo one of our own players. Have never understood that.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Not saying the result will be the same, but I remember similar comments last fall posted about Smith. He ended up finding his game. I get being pissed off at a player, and wish he wasn’t here, but doesn’t do anyone any good to purposefully boo one of our own players. Have never understood that.

Smith was never this bad, not even close. And when he was bad it’s because he was injured. Campbell is done

Reactions: frag2

djbard99

Feb 11, 2023
If a paying fan wants to boo a player they have every right to. There's a reciprocal relationship between fans and members of the team and if part of my money is going into Jack Campbell's pocket I expect him to play at an NHL level. Jack Campbell has not held up his end of the bargain.
Jesus slow down man. I agree he needs to go but “muh reciprocal relationship” is lame

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Legit question, has Campbell's positioning always been this bad, or is it a new thing? One of the goals he literally moved backwards as the puck was going towards the blue line. That is when you want to be at the top of your crease so that a tipped shot does not sneak by you. I have literally watched jr. B goalies with better positioning. Like it is atrocious.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Legit question, has Campbell's positioning always been this bad, or is it a new thing? One of the goals he literally moved backwards as the puck was going towards the blue line. That is when you want to be at the top of your crease so that a tipped shot does not sneak by you. I have literally watched jr. B goalies with better positioning. Like it is atrocious.
His fundamentals are complete garbage. Something that's been pretty evident his last handful of starts is the uncanny ability he has to constantly lose his net. Has absolutely no awareness when it comes to his positioning. Earlier this season it was mostly when he was forced to move laterally but now it's on almost every other shot no matter the location.

Has a terrible inability to track the puck as well. Reactionary goalie who prays the puck hits him instead of actually making saves.

Reactions: Raab

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Campbell was a hell of a lot more aggressive in Toronto from the stuff I just watched. The second goal tonight is a prime example of what I'm talking about. If he was a foot farther out the puck hits him or goes wide. Why is he moving backwards? 4th&6th Goal is also due to positioning. Like how did this guy get 5M?

His fundamentals are complete garbage. Something that's been pretty evident his last handful of starts is the uncanny ability he has to constantly lose his net. Has absolutely no awareness when it comes to his positioning. Earlier this season it was mostly when he was forced to move laterally but now it's on almost every other shot no matter the location.

Has a terrible inability to track the puck as well. Reactionary goalie who prays the puck hits him instead of actually making saves.
Have to wonder if he is being taught to do that? In Toronto it seemed like he was able to keep track of where he was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kerberos

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Campbell was a hell of a lot more aggressive in Toronto from the stuff I just watched. The second goal tonight is a prime example of what I'm talking about. If he was a foot farther out the puck hits him or goes wide. Why is he moving backwards? 4th Goal is also due to positioning. Like how did this guy get 5M?

Have to wonder if he is being taught to do that? In Toronto it seemed like he was able to keep track of where he was.

Yeah, no confidence whatsoever on that 2nd goal. Literally trying to make himself physically smaller as he's moving backwards. I didn't realize how often he drifts backwards on shots until you pointed it out.

It's long past time to move on from Schwartz and who knows how responsible he is for Campbell's struggles but even during his worst stretches in Toronto he was never this off his angles or timid looking in the crease. It honestly makes no sense.

Reactions: Raab

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
the buyout would be awful and no one is taking this bad contract

I see them riding this out into next season unfortunately
The buyout would literally change less that 100k with our cap structure due to the Sekera buyout coming off the books. If nothing changes by the end of the season he needs to be gone. There is very little savings if we wait a year, so might as well do it now. The next 3 years we need to be as competitive as possible in the playoffs. Also the cap should rise over the next 8 years after being flat due to covid. I do not think the buyout is actually that bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad