Player Discussion Jack Campbell

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think it's valid to say that no stats are "perfect"... but then again if you treat the stats as having "fuzzy input"... then treat the output as "fuzzy" as well.

Don't get too hung up on the exact ranks... ie the #4 guy looks like he's better than the #7 guy... and sure maybe he's not because there's obviously variance in the input/output and factors that effect stats... teammates/opposition etc.

If you look at the stats in generalized "bins" though... say take the top 10 guys vs the bottom 10 guys... it's easier to say that in general... the bottom guys have likely been crappier than the top guys.

IE... I'd take Oettinger/Saros/Hellebuyck over Campbell/Quick/Demko this year... and that's backed up by eyeball tests as well if you watch them play.

I don't get hung up on exact output because I know the correlations are far from perfect (too many factors involved for any one stat to be gospel)... neither is the eyeball test or anything else for that matter which is why pro/amateur scouts and GM's screw up so often and why people on forums can often be right about players while "pros and experts" screw up... the draft is another great example of that.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think it's valid to say that no stats are "perfect"... but then again if you treat the stats as having "fuzzy input"... then treat the output as "fuzzy" as well.

Don't get too hung up on the exact ranks... ie the #4 guy looks like he's better than the #7 guy... and sure maybe he's not because there's obviously variance in the input/output and factors that effect stats... teammates/opposition etc.

If you look at the stats in generalized "bins" though... say take the top 10 guys vs the bottom 10 guys... it's easier to say that in general... the bottom guys have likely been crappier than the top guys.

IE... I'd take Oettinger/Saros/Hellebuyck over Campbell/Quick/Demko this year... and that's backed up by eyeball tests as well if you watch them play.

I don't get hung up on exact output because I know the correlations are far from perfect (too many factors involved for any one stat to be gospel)... neither is the eyeball test or anything else for that matter which is why pro/amateur scouts and GM's screw up so often and why people on forums can often be right about players while "pros and experts" screw up... the draft is another great example of that.

Dont need expected stats. Real stats quantifiable and not subjective, combined with a qualified eye test tells you pretty much what you need to know about any player.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Now that “expected” this and “expected” that are the Twitterlytics Stat du Jour, actual real stats and performance have taken a back seat amongst the “I only know the game through Excel” community.

“Expected” is as you say a very subjective stat and a laughable one at that.
Expected goals have a lot of blind spots, the biggest being the lack of inclusion of pre shot puck movement (especially cross ice passes, slot passes, and dekes) but for the specific case of Jack Campbell the eye test and traditional stats both also support that he's just as garbage as the advanced stats say.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
is there a way we can delete this contract?

im in the camp of buying this guy out

wwe-i-sentence-you-to-deletion.gif

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Now that “expected” this and “expected” that are the Twitterlytics Stat du Jour, actual real stats and performance have taken a back seat amongst the “I only know the game through Excel” community.

“Expected” is as you say a very subjective stat and a laughable one at that.
Problem is that Campbells real stats and performance are also terrible.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Tough to have confidence in our trainwreck of a goaltending situation.

Plays good for awhile then goes right back into the tank.

Skinner is not the answer either.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Tough to have confidence in our trainwreck of a goaltending situation.

Plays good for awhile then goes right back into the tank.

Skinner is not the answer either.

At least Skinner is a rookie and should improve on this season.

I'm not sure our window is wide enough to risk another year on Campbell trying to get his game together. I'd seriously look into buying him out in the off-season assuming no one is going to take his contract from us. The buyout would give us $3.45 and $3.85 million in cap space the next two seasons which would be more than enough to replace him. The buyout penalty of $1.55 million from 2028 to 2031 doesn't seem so bad when you realize our window will be closed by then.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
At least Skinner is a rookie and should improve on this season.

I'm not sure our window is wide enough to risk another year on Campbell trying to get his game together. I'd seriously look into buying him out in the off-season assuming no one is going to take his contract from us. The buyout would give us $3.45 and $3.85 million in cap space the next two seasons which would be more than enough to replace him. The buyout penalty of $1.55 million from 2028 to 2031 doesn't seem so bad when you realize our window will be closed by then.
We are in a win now mode, that's what I meant by "he's not the answer".
He's a prospect but riding a prospect when they're really not ready has a tendency to ruin them.

Messier11

May 9, 2016
Just trade him, Pulju, Yamo, and whatever pick you need to Anaheim for Gibson. Anaheim to retain enough to normalize to $5M/yr for Gibson.

Holland is asleep at the wheel.

Reactions: TGOSnipes99

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We can only hope he comes around. Burying his cap will kill us, and having a useless 5 million dollar backup will be just as bad. I just can't see anyone taking on a contract like his with 4 full years left, and if they do, they'll demand a kings ransom.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
We are in a win now mode, that's what I meant by "he's not the answer".
He's a prospect but riding a prospect when they're really not ready has a tendency to ruin them.

Get skinner a 1a/b goalie who can make 30-35 quality starts and take over Incase of injury and Skinner would be a fine #1.

Just don't ride him like he's the second coming of Grant Fuhr.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
can’t be said enough times, this guy is by FAR the worst goaltender I’ve ever witnessed

Reactions: Navx94

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
I like most of Kens recent moves but I have no idea what he was thinking giving this guy 5 x 5, it was so clear that minus that one stretch in Toronto he was a fraud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad