Player Discussion Jack Campbell

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah, no confidence whatsoever on that 2nd goal. Literally trying to make himself physically smaller as he's moving backwards. I didn't realize how often he drifts backwards on shots until you pointed it out.

It's long past time to move on from Schwartz and who knows how responsible he is for Campbell's struggles but even during his worst stretches in Toronto he was never this off his angles or timid looking in the crease. It honestly makes no sense.
I watched alot of Soupy's "bad stretches" in Toronto, this is exactly how he plays when he's off, say what you want about the goalie coach, but the problem is 90 percent the player.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I mean he was certainly a reason why the series only lasted four games yeah.

He was better than Markstrom but that isn’t saying much.
If he didn’t play well down the stretch when he was finally healthy maybe we don’t even make the playoff or had to play Colorado earlier. Smith was one of the best contracts in the nhl over his time here.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If he didn’t play well down the stretch when he was finally healthy maybe we don’t even make the playoff or had to play Colorado earlier. Smith was one of the best contracts in the nhl over his time here.
And he nose dived as the playoffs went on. He was abysmal in the Avs series. Not sure why that’s so hard to understand. He didn’t retire for nothing.

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
Not saying the result will be the same, but I remember similar comments last fall posted about Smith. He ended up finding his game. I get being pissed off at a player, and wish he wasn’t here, but doesn’t do anyone any good to purposefully boo one of our own players. Have never understood that.

Smith and Koskinen performed substantially better last season. The reality is that with his numbers, Campbell should've been in the minors weeks ago, but they keep playing him, and we keep losing ground to Nashville.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
You know what is really funny and sad

Somebody told me that our goalie coach was instrumental in swaying to go for Campbell and not keumper

Paul coffey also has influence even to Katz directly. He gives his opinion on things

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Since the start of this season Los Angeles has sent their $5 million dollar goalie (Petersen) down to the AHL and shipped out a franchise legend (Quick). Their season has been saved by Phoenix Copley, an AHL goalie that was given an opportunity.

Meanwhile, we're talking about burning another year of McDrai on Campbell.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Since the start of this season Los Angeles has sent their $5 million dollar goalie (Petersen) down to the AHL and shipped out a franchise legend (Quick). Their season has been saved by Phoenix Copley, an AHL goalie that was given an opportunity.

Meanwhile, we're talking about burning another year of McDrai on Campbell.
Don't worry, he's a good guy. Let's give him game 1 of the playoffs just to see if he can get it done.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The other thing that blows about Campbell being so horrible is that it’s now put unrealistic and unfair expectations on Skinner.

He’s a rookie goalie who should be playing ~30 games this season and getting some playoff experience from on the bench.

Instead we are pinning our entire season on him and if he doesn’t perform like a starter people will be ripping into him.

He shouldn’t have to be a starter at this point in his career. He shouldn’t be expected to win playoff rounds. Yet here we are because our other goalie can’t make a save.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
3.57 GAA .882 SP. how can the coach and GM sit idle and allow this monstrosity to continue? Send this guy down already!

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Reimer is having a tough year but he is at .892SV% and this is the first time in his career he has been under .900. He wanted to go to a contender.

I'd revist the Karlsson deal in before the draft.

To SJ: Yamamoto, Ceci, Campbell ($1.75M retained) 2024 1st 2026 1st
To Edmonton: Karlsson ($4.25M retained --$3.50M by SJ and $725K by third team) Rights to Reimer

To get the third team to retain Edmonton gives their 2023 second and SJ give a 2023 3rd and 2023 4th

SJ has to sign a goalie anyway. Campbell at $3.25M might be a decent bounce back risk. If he does not rebound they can buy out the last two or three years of his deal.

djbard99

Feb 11, 2023

Somebody told me that our goalie coach was instrumental in swaying to go for Campbell and not keumper

Paul coffey also has influence even to Katz directly. He gives his opinion on things
Many posters have shown Campbell’s stats declined last year in TOR and measurably. Is skinner going to win the con smythe? No, but he’s reliable .910 and even last game was well above that until our team got lazy.
It seems our org is plagued with old boys club syndrome.

Reactions: MessierThanThou

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Anyone who had anything to do with recommending Campbell needs to be fired post haste.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
The buyout would literally change less that 100k with our cap structure due to the Sekera buyout coming off the books. If nothing changes by the end of the season he needs to be gone. There is very little savings if we wait a year, so might as well do it now. The next 3 years we need to be as competitive as possible in the playoffs. Also the cap should rise over the next 8 years after being flat due to covid. I do not think the buyout is actually that bad.
I will be stunned if he gets bought out this summer. I would hazard they will say something along the lines of, he will be working on his game this summer and we expect he will be better after having a full year with the team.

The only thing I think that might change that is a Holland firing or retirement and then you might see it, but Holland doesn’t seem like the kind of guy to just reverse in his mistake like that,

Reactions: Raab

Macblender

May 5, 2014

Well I am sure that is a big strike against him from holland.

This is really the first time we have brought in a goalie of significance during UfA under holland and if our goalie coach said Campbell over kuemper then that is bad

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
What the hell happened to the Campbell that got .914 sv % last year. Someone check lost and found at the airport.

Reactions: Raab

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
No way he's 6'2". Looks like Halak out there who is 5'11". Get the man a bigger chest protector that stops the shoulders from slagging.
So often just doesn't see the puck. Almost like he needs an eye exam.
Not good when your goalie starts at 5 GAA each game.
The soft approach isn't working, needs to be waive or at least called out publicly, but none of that has happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad