Boston Bruins IX-Rumors, Trade Proposals, Speculation, etc.. (rumors must have recognized source/link)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Okay, you said you haven't watched Garland play, so why are you still arguing the point? However if you want to use TOI, just ask yourself why Wood never consistently gets (and never has gotten) top6 ice time in NJ even when they were really bad.

BTW, It's fine to like Miles Wood, I like the guy as a third or fourth liner here, and think he would be a good add if its doable, but if they are going after a forward for this season to address their top 6 needs, then Wood isn't that guy. Although it would be a very Sweeney move.
Fair point. I’m just trying to understand the Garland hype.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I thought that you were a "vegan?"
gty_grilled_vegetables_ll_130628_33x16_992.jpg

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Fair point. I’m just trying to understand the Garland hype.

The "hype" is generated mostly by analysts who need something to talk about on TSN and NHL Network, I feel, as well as excited Bruins fans who want to see the team get better. I think Garland is a good type of player for several reasons, one of which is his confidence to try and make plays all night regardless of success or not. Garland isn't the type to slump if things don't go his way or he makes a bad turnover or play, he just gets back on the horse and goes for it again. He shoots, he passes and he scores. Garland has been standing out in Arizona, what do you think he can do is Boston with this collection of talent, coaching and stability that he's yet to see in the NHL?

I like Palmieri as much as the next guy, but that seems like a buying low option on someone who's a bit older, more experienced and more tamed, if you will. Adding someone like Garland is buying high on a guy who's valuable now, tomorrow and the future. Not only that, but it adds an element and dynamic that this group is missing at the moment which is someone to come in and make the complacent guys feel the heat. Make them start to question their security in the lineup and on this team. I think many forwards are too complacent here right now and adding a young guy who isn't afraid to take charge on the ice would help out in that regard, IMO.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Do we not consider TOI? Or that Wood stepped into the league a year younger? If we want to cherry pick stats let’s look at Points per 60 mins? Maybe that closes the gap
So you’re argument for TOI basically indicates Garland gets more minutes and that’s why his numbers are better?

He gets more minutes because he is a better player. If Wood was a top 6 forward he would be in the top six. He isn’t. He’s a strong bottom six guy and there is nothing wrong with that.

The time on ice argument is strange because better players get better minutes, your trying to reverse this by suggesting Wood would have similar or better numbers if he got the same TOI?

Im accused of cherry picking stats but your coming at me with TOI?

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Wood is a career 16 goal scorer in 82 games.
Yes he is having a better season this year.
Garland's career average is 25 goals per 82 games and is the better offensive player by far.
Garland would fit in great on the second line.
Wood would be a 3rd or 4th liner.
I would like both if the price is right and we can move Bjork/Wags/Kuraly and not a 1st or second round pick.
Garland is worth a lot more than a first. This kid is only going to get better. This is only his third year.

Reactions: Gordoff

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
The time to get MWood from NJ was a year or two ago. He is now playing well and would require a massive over payment. Garland is going to need a some assets as well. There are alot of players like Garland in the NHL. Small, skilled, and project as 20-25 goal scorers in the NHL regular season. They are not what the Bruins need in their top nine to get out of the East in the playoffs however unless they have proved they can play through the heavy teams like the Caps, Bolts, and Islanders.

Bruins need size, scoring, speed, and a bit of nasty. Players like Wood are what the Bruins should target...

Reactions: Oates2Neely

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I am not talking about FA signings, but deadline deals. I am thinking of guys like Stempniak, Stafford, Liles, el cheapo guys like Don is talking about and trying to think of one "el cheapo" pickup that actually moved the needle for the Bruins.
Well it's kind of hard to really talk about it since he has only made 12 trades around the deadline. Out of those 12 the Bruins got players back in 11 of them with the other being the Vatrano trade. Out of those players the only ones I would consider the "el cheapo" route would be Liles, Stafford, Holden, Wingels, and Carey. I think people forget that Stempniak had 41 points at the time of the trade and finished the season with 51 points. That put him at 82nd in the league and 5th for the team in points. Now for the "el cheapo" pickups that moved the needle. Liles had 6 points in 17 games, Stafford had 8 points in 18 games, Holden had 5 points in 18 games, and Wingels had 5 points in 18 games. I would say they all had reasonable impacts considering they were depth players.

Reactions: HustleB

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Garland is worth a lot more than a first. This kid is only going to get better. This is only his third year.
Ya know, when his name first got mentioned and the cost.....
I thought that it was over payment but now reading about him and watching his high-lights I'm inclined to agree. The only worry is the fact that he's a local. If he can keep going in the direction that he's in we'd have a mini-Marchy on our hands. If he gets comfortable and complacent? Well, the name Jimmy Hayes comes to mind. I know, two totally different players but...

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
The "hype" is generated mostly by analysts who need something to talk about on TSN and NHL Network, I feel, as well as excited Bruins fans who want to see the team get better. I think Garland is a good type of player for several reasons, one of which is his confidence to try and make plays all night regardless of success or not. Garland isn't the type to slump if things don't go his way or he makes a bad turnover or play, he just gets back on the horse and goes for it again. He shoots, he passes and he scores. Garland has been standing out in Arizona, what do you think he can do is Boston with this collection of talent, coaching and stability that he's yet to see in the NHL?

I like Palmieri as much as the next guy, but that seems like a buying low option on someone who's a bit older, more experienced and more tamed, if you will. Adding someone like Garland is buying high on a guy who's valuable now, tomorrow and the future. Not only that, but it adds an element and dynamic that this group is missing at the moment which is someone to come in and make the complacent guys feel the heat. Make them start to question their security in the lineup and on this team. I think many forwards are too complacent here right now and adding a young guy who isn't afraid to take charge on the ice would help out in that regard, IMO.
This is 100%. I also believe he could be a 80 pt guy. Would give us the option of putting him on the top line and Pasta with 48 and DeBrusk.

Reactions: Dr Hook and Gordoff

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
The time to get MWood from NJ was a year or two ago. He is now playing well and would require a massive over payment. Garland is going to need a some assets as well. There are alot of players like Garland in the NHL. Small, skilled, and project as 20-25 goal scorers in the NHL regular season. They are not what the Bruins need in their top nine to get out of the East in the playoffs however unless they have proved they can play through the heavy teams like the Caps, Bolts, and Islanders.

Bruins need size, scoring, speed, and a bit of nasty. Players like Wood are what the Bruins should target...
Not really if you take a look into his stats. So far this year he has 9 goals and 4 assists for 13 points in 30 games. Out of those, 4 goals and 1 assist came in the 6 games against the bottom feeder of not only the division but also the league. In the other 24 games he has 5 goals and 3 assists. That would put him closer to his norm.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Ya know, when his name first got mentioned and the cost.....
I thought that it was over payment but now reading about him and watching his high-lights I'm inclined to agree. The only worry is the fact that he's a local. If he can keep going in the direction that he's in we'd have a mini-Marchy on our hands. If he gets comfortable and complacent? Well, the name Jimmy Hayes comes to mind. I know, two totally different players but...
Yes I agree. The one thing is and I have seen him play enough to say his speed and skill is amazing. I honestly believe the best is yet to come. He doesn’t stop skating. I wanted him last year and was told it was a pipe dream. Well for once I want that dream to come true.

Reactions: TCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad