Boston Bruins IX-Rumors, Trade Proposals, Speculation, etc.. (rumors must have recognized source/link)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I’m going to call BS on that. TOI does matter, and is it disputable that a player can skate X amount of minutes on one team and produce more on another team with more minutes? If pressed I can cite many examples of this.

I’m not suggesting Wood is better or equal to Garland. I see them both scoring (goals) at the same pace this season, but one guy is discussed as a 4th line scrub yet the other being spoken of as he’s Guy Lafluer. I’m just trying to understand why.

I don't think it's an unreasonable question. I was curious so I checked their charts on Evolving Hockey and it does more or less tell the story:

download (8).png

Basically their possession (CF) and shot quality (xG) rates are quite similar, but way more goals are happening when Garland is out there. The assists do back that up.

Just from the eye test Garland looks a lot more skilled with the puck and more well rounded. He's better at using his teammates, his shot is more accurate. Just better hockey sense in general I would say. Wood is more like what I wish Kuraly was - big, fast, physical straight line hockey. I'd love to have him as a Bruin but he's not going to bring the finishing ability they need in the top six. His xG and Corsi numbers are really good this year so he is generally getting better possession and shots than the opposition.

Wood's shooting 13.6% this year when his career average is 9% so his goal scoring pace is almost certainly going to slow down unless he starts taking way more shots. Garland is shooting 10.5% which is actually a bit less than his career average of 12.2% so his scoring pace looks sustainable by the numbers.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Garland a former fifth round pick and because of his small nature is a very risky trade. These small guys take a beating over an 82 game schedule and rarely last. I think if we’re patient with Oskar Steen he could be a similar version to CG

I still prefer grabbing Reinhart from Buffalo
This is the only reason I would be hesitant about Garland. He could be peaking right now ala Corey Conacher.

Reactions: bbfan419

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Is there anybody we would like from Calgary ? They have had a 3rd period meltdown against Ottawa and their chances of making the playoffs look remote despite the coaching change. Have to think their will be big changes coming to the Flames with Sutter now as coach.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Is there anybody we would like from Calgary ? They have had a 3rd period meltdown against Ottawa and their chances of making the playoffs look remote despite the coaching change. Have to think their will be big changes coming to the Flames with Sutter now as coach.
I'd really like the Bruins to swing something with them for Gio.

Wouldn't pay much for the privilege, but it would potentially solve a lot of problems without needing to give up Studnicka, Lohrei, Lauko, 4 first rounders and Pastrnak at 50% for Ekholm.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
Garland a former fifth round pick and because of his small nature is a very risky trade. These small guys take a beating over an 82 game schedule and rarely last. I think if we’re patient with Oskar Steen he could be a similar version to CG

I still prefer grabbing Reinhart from Buffalo

I think Lauko can be that guy but a little bigger and tougher. Playoffs are always a different game and I would rather have some size up front. Reinhart would be a good signing. Put him with Lauko and Seny and let them run with it next year.

Reactions: Gordoff

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Need something way outta left field.

Something with just a smidgeon of a possibility.

Enter: Claude Giroux
I know some people will disagree but I'd be ecstatic. One of my favorite non-Bruins. put him with Krejci and let them go into playoff gear together.

Reactions: easton117

ylekot

Still evaluating..
Feb 2, 2010
Paxton Massachusetts
The time to get MWood from NJ was a year or two ago. He is now playing well and would require a massive over payment. Garland is going to need a some assets as well. There are alot of players like Garland in the NHL. Small, skilled, and project as 20-25 goal scorers in the NHL regular season. They are not what the Bruins need in their top nine to get out of the East in the playoffs however unless they have proved they can play through the heavy teams like the Caps, Bolts, and Islanders.

Bruins need size, scoring, speed, and a bit of nasty. Players like Wood are what the Bruins should target...
Is it too much to ask for both Wood and Garland. The more I have watched on Garland the more I like.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I know some people will disagree but I'd be ecstatic. One of my favorite non-Bruins. put him with Krejci and let them go into playoff gear together.

that was my thought. Ask Philly nicely to retain this season if necessary. Can replace Krejci next season with one year left on his deal. Gives them one more season to figure out the future at centre.

pipe dream. But nice to think about lol

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I honestly think it’s amazing that players who can score 20 goals become available and we still have fans who are like “nahhhhh pass don’t need it, he’s small”

I dunno, I seem to remember a lot of people here complaining over the past few years how we get physically shut down by Tampa and lamenting our players sizes and inability to play through the physical.

Of course, if its not the either of those it would be something else.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Since flames are a tire fire now here is our chance to do that Monahan and hannifin package. What would it take? Anyone wanna fill in the blanks ?

Hannifin has really come into his own this year, doubt Calgary would deal him for anything but a kings ransom. The one guy who I am expecting to get dealt is Gaudreau, probably in the off-season.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Since flames are a tire fire now here is our chance to do that Monahan and hannifin package. What would it take? Anyone wanna fill in the blanks ?
My guess is we don't have the pieces, but that would be a significant add that I'd be down for.

Just don't see us able to do it.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Hannifin has really come into his own this year, doubt Calgary would deal him for anything but a kings ransom. The one guy who I am expecting to get dealt is Gaudreau, probably in the off-season.
Anyone noticed how many defensemen in the North Division have suddenly made the leap from decidedly mediocre to top pairing during the Covid Challenge?

Vegas should give odds on these guys falling back into reality next season.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Wow you would think that Garland is a superstar in the league. Excuse me but for me he is another undersized winger who gets abused at the boards in the playoffs.

After watching this video I am also sure that he is closer to being 5.8 tall then the official 5.10.

So you have seen all his playoff games? He goes into the corners with out fear. He has talent. Lots of talent. We now have the size to play with him.

Reactions: Gordoff

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
This solidified it for me. Garland bumps Pastrnak down a line and gives the Bruins 2 dynamic scoring units. I hope Garland can live up to the Patrick Kane hype he’s been branded with in this thread.

Studnicka + Swayman + 2021 1st + Lauzon for Conor Kane uhhh Garland
Wow no Kane hype. The kid is good, he’s young and is cost controlled to some degree. He’s getting better every year. All facts.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
The one reason I can think they'd trade him is because he's due a large raise at season's end, and after a couple years of spending near the cap (the Coyotes roster this year is actually more expensive than the Bruins) the ownership group may be looking to ice a more affordable team, especially with A. the revenue losses this year and B. the fact that they're not close to contending seriously.

They also lost a couple high draft picks as penalties, which is a big deal for a budget team that likes ELCs.

He's still probably a pipe dream, but he would be a great add for this team, especially if his uptempo game could ignite DeBrusk.
So well said

Reactions: UConn126
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad