Boston Bruins IX-Rumors, Trade Proposals, Speculation, etc.. (rumors must have recognized source/link)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I wouldn't say solidly.

I'd say we should have one, but anything can happen.
It's hard to imagine. If you take Buffalo games out of equation, the other top teams in the Division are no different than us.

Teams as things stand and points they've taken from Buffalo so far:

NYI (48 Total Points): 12 out of 12
WAS (46 Total Points): 11 out of 12
PIT (44 Total Points): 8 out of 8
BOS (37 Total Points): 2 out of 2
NYR (34 Total Points): 6 out of 8
PHI (34 Total Points): 8 out of 10
NJ (31 Total Points): 5 out of 12

Bottom line is that the Bruins have between 3 and 5 games in hand against the top teams in Division -- almost exclusively made up of games against Buffalo.

Including our one game/win against Buffalo, the top four teams in the division have gone 16-0-1 against the Sabres. Free points so far for NYI, WAS, and PIT.

Prorated standings for 48 games (just take Buffalo out of equation altogether):

TEAMGPWLOTLPTS48G Prorated Pts
WAS2616733565
NYI2816843662
BOS2815853560
PIT30171123658
NYR28121242848
PHI27111242646
NJ25101232344
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Unless we absolutely and completely screw the pooch against Buffalo the playoffs are pretty much guaranteed. If we do blow it against the Sabres then we should blow it up and rebuild no ifs, ands, or buts.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
How easy will it be to get a sensible deal out of Seattle? I don't think it's easy at all.

Because they hold the hammer in any negotiation, because one way or the other, they will acquire a quality player off your roster. So by definition given the strength Seattle holds in any negotiations with other teams, other teams will have to overpay to keep the guys they want or accomplish something else like a cap dump. They already saw what Vegas did to hood-wink the likes of Anaheim and Minnesota who totally overthought the entire process and got burned.

Say Sweeney wanted to expose Gryz but keep Seattle from choosing him. If I'm Seattle, I'm looking at the next more desirable player (lets use Frederic for example) and saying "OK, I'll take Frederic instead of Gryz if you give me a 1st rounder".

Assets like mid-round picks, or guys like Bjork/Wagner/etc. or prospects like Cehlarik I don't think even makes the Seattle group flinch. They can see the Bruins have a decent amount of depth and if say Francis wants Gryz but is willing to pass on him, then the compensation will still be something fairly valuable.

I get it, and you are probably right. In my mind, I am already resigned to losing a player I'd rather the Bruins kept. I guess that is the point of the expansion draft to begin with and everyone in the league is getting their turn in the barrel.

Reactions: kjpm and BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I get it, and you are probably right. In my mind, I am already resigned to losing a player I'd rather the Bruins kept. I guess that is the point of the expansion draft to begin with and everyone in the league is getting their turn in the barrel.

Exactly, Seattle has every team over the barrel and know full well the power they wield in this process. Ultimately they paid for it with a huge expansion fee. They are clearly in the driver seat, and it doesn't bode well for any team to get a favourable deal out of them.

Reactions: Gordoff and Number8

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
No thanks on Hall. Felger said that he was told by a former teammate of Hall's (likely Ryan Whitney) that he was the worst teammate he ever had.

I'm still convinced that Sweeney will make a big move, I just don't see it being Hall.
Another thing to note is Hall has 580 points in 659 NHL games. On “powerhouse” teams such as Edmonton NJ Arizona & Buffalo. It’s fair to say Taylor Hall has never played on a team that has close to the talent/ leadership the the Bruins have. He may be worth a gamble depending on cost to acquire. I’m not sure why he’s being completely ruled out by some here. Other than this season in Buffalo Halls numbers have been very good.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
How easy will it be to get a sensible deal out of Seattle? I don't think it's easy at all.

Because they hold the hammer in any negotiation, because one way or the other, they will acquire a quality player off your roster. So by definition given the strength Seattle holds in any negotiations with other teams, other teams will have to overpay to keep the guys they want or accomplish something else like a cap dump. They already saw what Vegas did to hood-wink the likes of Anaheim and Minnesota who totally overthought the entire process and got burned.

Say Sweeney wanted to expose Gryz but keep Seattle from choosing him. If I'm Seattle, I'm looking at the next more desirable player (lets use Frederic for example) and saying "OK, I'll take Frederic instead of Gryz if you give me a 1st rounder".

Assets like mid-round picks, or guys like Bjork/Wagner/etc. or prospects like Cehlarik I don't think even makes the Seattle group flinch. They can see the Bruins have a decent amount of depth and if say Francis wants Gryz but is willing to pass on him, then the compensation will still be something fairly valuable.
I would hate to be an NHL GM. With the notable exception of being an expansion team GM under the new rules. As you say, ALL the power. Everyone will take your call, everyone will talk to you, and virtually everyone wants to try and be your friend in some way. And those rare few who don't want to try and make you happy? Just take the best player for the position you need from them.

Reactions: BruinDust

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
It's hard to imagine. If you take Buffalo games out of equation, the other top teams in the Division are no different than us.

Teams as things stand and points they've taken from Buffalo so far:

NYI (48 Total Points): 12 out of 12
WAS (46 Total Points): 11 out of 12
PIT (44 Total Points): 8 out of 8
BOS (37 Total Points): 2 out of 2
NYR (34 Total Points): 6 out of 8
PHI (34 Total Points): 8 out of 10
NJ (31 Total Points): 5 out of 12

Bottom line is that the Bruins have between 3 and 5 games in hand against the top teams in Division -- almost exclusively made up of games against Buffalo.

Including our one game/win against Buffalo, the top four teams in the division have gone 16-0-1 against the Sabres. Free points so far for NYI, WAS, and PIT.

Prorated standings for 48 games (just take Buffalo out of equation altogether):

TEAMGPWLOTLPTS48G Prorated Pts
WAS2616733565
NYI2816843662
BOS2815853560
PIT30171123658
NYR28121242848
PHI27111242646
NJ25101232344
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Unless we absolutely and completely screw the pooch against Buffalo the playoffs are pretty much guaranteed. If we do blow it against the Sabres then we should blow it up and rebuild no ifs, ands, or buts.
I don't know. Using the word solidly, or should. Just sounds like taking that playoff spot for granted.

Games in hand mean absolutely nothing if the team doesn't win the games when they actually play them. We've literally seen them screw that up. I remember it boiling down to a single game at the end of the season and losing to Ottawa, knocking then out of a playoff spot.

My main point, they are going to need to earn that spot.

And the Bruins of the past month haven't looked like one that is earning it.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Wanted to rant about what trades need to be made but honestly I'm a bit over it. The way I see it at the moment is that:

Neely is a problem
Sweeney is a problem
Cassidy is a problem
Drafting is a problem
Injuries are a problem
Covid is a problem
Effort is a problem
2 line black hole is a problem
Complacency is a problem
Lack of physicality is a problem

Only thing going for them is cap space.
Only want to see a young solid peice(s) added that will be here for a while. Make the changes now and look at this year as an anomaly. Sweeney failed at addressing the needs for years. Trade all spare parts and draft centres and scoring forwards.

Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak
Black hole
Ritchie Coyle Smith
Frederic Studnika Senyshyn

Swayman
Vladar

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
I’d trust Whitney over a bunch of people on the internet. That said, I thought it was Ference who said he was a bad teammate?

Ference didn't out right name him but more or less pointed in that direction. He said Eakins was a good coach but that the team culture was messed up ie: the core players would make fun of players who tried hard in practice. There is something wrong with Hall's personality. He isn't the same guy he was in junior or in his rookie season. In Junior he would eat the cross bar to try and score a goal. Now he signs a 1 year deal with Buffalo to make a few hundred more thousand dollars instead of taking this 1 year deal situation as an opportunity to win a cup. He only cares about money now. I honestly wouldn't trade JDB for him straight up, especially since he is a UFA. Some team like the Panthers will pay him slightly more then other teams, especially with the tax situation in FLA, this offseason and he will put up regular season points but not much else. Forget Hall, its the best thing for the B's. Starts at 26:50 in this clip (oilers talk) .

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Time to get different. Mix up the pieces for other pieces. Philly and Calgary are in the same boat. I want different centers and some draft picks. Don’t care about the playoffs in 2021.
I think I agree on the playoffs in 2021 position. Not certain, but I think I agree.

Unless we add significantly, I don't think we are a serious contender and I don't think the climate is conducive to a big move(s) necessary to make us a contender.

Obviously I want the B's in the playoffs and want to see us catch lightening in a bottle. I think we make playoffs regardless (Buffalo magic beans we've not had, but all the others have). Let's see what we can do -- BUT -- pick a lane. Either all in, or let's see what we can do with what we have. I think the middle ground could be disasterous.

However, I know one thing for sure. Pressure is on Cam and Donny to have the Bruins get into the playoffs and get as many home game playoffs as possible. Those two thousand fans last night opened the flood gates. Jacobs is going to want revenue and a lot of it, now to door is open a bit. And in fairness, I can't blame him. His industry has taken it on the chin in this pandemic.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I don't know. Using the word solidly, or should. Just sounds like taking that playoff spot for granted.

Games in hand mean absolutely nothing if the team doesn't win the games when they actually play them. We've literally seen them screw that up. I remember it boiling down to a single game at the end of the season and losing to Ottawa, knocking then out of a playoff spot.

My main point, they are going to need to earn that spot.

And the Bruins of the past month haven't looked like one that is earning it.
I do agree -- we need to earn it. I think my position is more to make a dramatic point than anything else.

If the Bruins don't make hay with those Buffalo games and take virtually every point (again, top four teams have taken an astounding 33 of 34 possible points to date) then we should be ashamed and need to blow everything up.

So I guess I'm saying that we should make the playoffs because anything else it truly unacceptable and would be an epic fail.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I like alot of the names your mentioning, however, I think Subban is maybe the easiest get. (1) Sabres are rebuilding (2) his contract is massive so they know they will have to eat some of it (3) He is playing good hockey on a terrible team and he is a big game player.

When I look at our previous appearances in the finals I noticed that we always seem to have three good pairs. I would argue that our 3rd pair in may cases would be a top pair on most teams in those instances.

2011 3rd pair - Kaberle - McQuaid (On most teams that season this would be a top pairing)

2013 3rd pair - Krug - Mcquaid (Krug was clutch that year breaking out as a rookie in the playoffs)

2019 3rd pair - Grezlyk - Clifton (Not as strong as the other two)

Lauzon-McCavoy

Grez-Carlo

Zboril-Subban

Would be three balanced trios if you ask me.

I appreciate this post.

Never really thought about PK being a 3rd pair guy. and yes Devils would have to retain.

What would your guess would be for the ask from Devils? Maybe a package for him and Woods?

Back in the day I always wanted Dion Phanuef on the bruins as a second pair guy. I really believe he would have excelled not being on the 1st pair.

Reactions: Gordoff

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Again, lateral bullshit moves for the likes of a Bobby Ryan or some other waiver fodder isn't going to do f*** all. Either you piss, or get off the pot. Making a move to say "Well, we tried!" isn't enough right now. This team needs a second line sniper, they've needed one for the better part of a decade, and no, they don't need one who scored 35 back in 2007.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I'm guessing Studnicka is on the block since he's been out of the lineup so consistently. If I was betting today, I'd say he's the Bruins' "elite prospect" portion of the potential deal for Ekholm. Divver reported Nashville's assistant GM was at the Providence game yesterday so I think things must be pretty real on that front. I assume they'd be looking at Vaakanainen or Steen as the "third asset" they reportedly want, in addition to the 1st round pick.

I'm torn on whether it's a good idea or not. I like Studnicka a lot but I haven't seen enough offense from him to say he's a surefire top six guy. I'd take what I can get for Vaak at this point, this year has soured me on him big time. I'd have no problem giving him up in the deal. I'd prefer to keep Steen over him at this point. The 1st I think has way less value than in a normal year. I think this draft will be an absolute crap shoot with the number of players not playing and the difficulty scouting in person, so I don't think there will be much of a difference between a mid to late 1st and a 2nd.

Basically the value seems okay to me (I think we overrate our own prospects greatly), I just question if that's the right direction. Ekholm is a stud with a lot of gas left in the tank and I think he would improve the team significantly but are they close enough to the top teams that he puts them in that tier? I don't think so but anything can happen in the playoffs. And you have to wonder about how that affects their strategy at the expansion draft, they're losing a good player there one way or another though.

Will be interesting to see what happens. I definitely think Sweeney is getting some heat from above so he'll try to do something to improve the team now, I'm just not sure he has the prospects to really move the needle for other teams if he's trying to land a big fish. Winnipeg or Montreal could probably beat Sweeney's best offer pretty easily, if they so chose.

Only way I trade Studnicka is for an established young center. Right now he's the heir apparent to Krech and there isn't really much after him as far as a 1C or 2C goes.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I’ll take a healthy Bruins team over anyone in this division

I’m expecting to be watching games in person and live in mid June

They still need offense, healthy or not.

Missing/Injured players total games this season (Kuraly, DeBrusk, Kase, Lauzon, Miller, Carlo) : 100

Goals missing from players seen above: 7

6 players combining for 7 goals is an absolute disaster.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Wanted to rant about what trades need to be made but honestly I'm a bit over it. The way I see it at the moment is that:

Neely is a problem
Sweeney is a problem
Cassidy is a problem
Drafting is a problem
Injuries are a problem
Covid is a problem
Effort is a problem
2 line black hole is a problem
Complacency is a problem
Lack of physicality is a problem

Only thing going for them is cap space.
Only want to see a young solid peice(s) added that will be here for a while. Make the changes now and look at this year as an anomaly. Sweeney failed at addressing the needs for years. Trade all spare parts and draft centres and scoring forwards.

Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak
Black hole
Ritchie Coyle Smith
Frederic Studnika Senyshyn

Swayman
Vladar
I think it's a little unfair to call Krejci a black hole. he has almost double the points of Coyle and 8 less then Bergeron playing with far less talented forwards. I like many,wish he was doing better but he is far from a black hole.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I think it's a little unfair to call Krejci a black hole. he has almost double the points of Coyle and 8 less then Bergeron playing with far less talented forwards. I like many,wish he was doing better but he is far from a black hole.
It is unfair to Krejci. He has been screwed over by having 1 or 2 black holes on his line for the last 5-6 years.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
That line has been an issue for years. Hence black hole. Nothing against Krejci but the issues are there regardless of how many assists he gets

Reactions: Blowfish

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
They still need offense, healthy or not.

Missing/Injured players total games this season (Kuraly, DeBrusk, Kase, Lauzon, Miller, Carlo) : 100

Goals missing from players seen above: 7

6 players combining for 7 goals is an absolute disaster.
I’m expecting all will be righted by April 12

Bruins used 12 D in first 28 games
Islanders used 6 D in first 28 games

Bwhahahaha BWHAHAHAHA bwhahahaha

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Last night I realized with that depth they can win it all

they need full lineup and first line to get their act together for 60 minutes

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.