Boston Bruins IX-Rumors, Trade Proposals, Speculation, etc.. (rumors must have recognized source/link)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
the deal was not good. He was hurt when they acquired him, and had to give up a first last year meaning they will assuredly not use one this season to better the team. IMO he was an expensive lottery ticket and turned up a loser. I would think zero chance he’s even qualified
This deal only happened because of Sweeney's blunder signing Backes to that stupid deal.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
He could become Marty St. Louis or he can become your next Tyler Ennis. Bruins are in win now mode. I’d rather gamble on more proven talent with a tad bit more size. Again I’m not opposed to Garland I’m just opposed to giving up a 1st for him.
Same here, I would be okay with a deal for Garland maybe Steen + 2nd, don't want to give up anymore 1st period, unless for someone like Forsberg etc.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This might be a hard concept for Sweeney but I’ll help out a little. Move Halak at the TDL . I know you won’t get a lot but that’s not the point it’s giving one of their can’t miss prospects a chance. Perfect time for it in this shortened season, will not even feel it. Have one of the young goalies back up. Let’s see what they got over some time. When your core is aging you don’t extend a 35 year old goalie lol makes zero sense. Plus if Tuukka is breaking down it won’t matter anyway because they aren’t going anywhere anyway so it’s all irrelevant who’s the goalie.
you cannot now.... unless you want Calum Booth as your #1 starter, who's not exactly under contract and has played once in Providence this year under this agreement where you're required to carry three G

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
This might be a hard concept for Sweeney but I’ll help out a little. Move Halak at the TDL . I know you won’t get a lot but that’s not the point it’s giving one of their can’t miss prospects a chance. Perfect time for it in this shortened season, will not even feel it. Have one of the young goalies back up. Let’s see what they got over some time. When your core is aging you don’t extend a 35 year old goalie lol makes zero sense. Plus if Tuukka is breaking down it won’t matter anyway because they aren’t going anywhere anyway so it’s all irrelevant who’s the goalie.
Sweeney's job is on the line between now and next summer, so I don't see him selling, much less the Jacobs family allowing it. Back in 2016 when we were a mediocre team that had no chance of winning a playoff round if we squeaked in, Sweeney foolishly gave up assets and didn't flip Eriksson for a 1st at the deadline. I'm convinced that the Jacobs family had some say in that. When Sweeney botched the Hamilton trade and didn't let every team know he was available, he mentioned that he had to "accelerate" the return (draft picks). I'm convinced that the Jacobs family was a big reason why there was a need to "accelerate" the return and why Hamilton wasn't properly shopped.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
We need some offense...even to just bring some excitement to the guys / coaches.

The longer we wait, the more difficult this will be....1 week ago, we felt pretty good about being in the top 4...now the Rangers have entered the picture and can/will make trades to make themselves better, while teams in front of us keep pulling away.

Reactions: Gordoff

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Time to get different. Mix up the pieces for other pieces. Philly and Calgary are in the same boat. I want different centers and some draft picks. Don’t care about the playoffs in 2021.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I have been a big Krecji fan for a while now and wanted him to retire in Boston. But after this year I think it may be time to move on and find his replacement. He has fallen off quite a bit. I am not sure even bringing in an elite winger will help him at this point.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Sweeney's job is on the line between now and next summer, so I don't see him selling, much less the Jacobs family allowing it. Back in 2016 when we were a mediocre team that had no chance of winning a playoff round if we squeaked in, Sweeney foolishly gave up assets and didn't flip Eriksson for a 1st at the deadline. I'm convinced that the Jacobs family had some say in that. When Sweeney botched the Hamilton trade and didn't let every team know he was available, he mentioned that he had to "accelerate" the return (draft picks). I'm convinced that the Jacobs family was a big reason why there was a need to "accelerate" the return and why Hamilton wasn't properly shopped.
Jacobs should sell the team to someone who actually cares about hockey and winning.

Reactions: Lo97 and Gordoff

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I have been a big Krecji fan for a while now and wanted him to retire in Boston. But after this year I think it may be time to move on and find his replacement. He has fallen off quite a bit. I am not sure even bringing in an elite winger will help him at this point.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...try DK on the wing.

He's still an asset on the PP, he can still take faceoffs, but don't give him the responsibility of center during the play.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
At this point, I just want to see a move made, even if a small, to send a message to the team that they're expected to contend. Give them some reinforcements to rally around. Even if it's a #6 caliber defenseman, adding an NHL level player will go along way in helping this team.

Reactions: bbfan419

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Boston doesn't have the same "look" it has had in the past to make a deep run.

For me, no rentals, only players with term that fit what the Bruins need to get out of the East. For me that is players that play a heavy, fast, and bit nasty game of hockey to fill 4-12 on the forward lines. I would take a Dman that fits middle six as well.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Those advocating trading out assets for proven under-30 talent, please realize that said acquired players will be another asset needing expansion protection.
You either go for it with rentals OR blow it up for prospects/picks..... anything in between is an inefficient band-aid.

That said, I have no qualms on trading two assets that need protection for one better protected asset etc.. aka Ekholm.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Those advocating trading out assets for proven under-30 talent, please realize that said acquired players will be another asset needing expansion protection.
You either go for it with rentals OR blow it up for prospects/picks..... anything in between is an inefficient band-aid.

It depends on how they go with protection, though, right? If 8 skaters, which I am leaning towards, then right, no additions that are not rentals. If they go 7+3 because there is another forward they want to protect past top line and Coyle, then there is space to add a forward with term (and back to the risk of exposing a D man we'd prefer to keep).

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
It depends on how they go with protection, though, right? If 8 skaters, which I am leaning towards, then right, no additions that are not rentals. If they go 7+3 because there is another forward they want to protect past top line and Coyle, then there is space to add a forward with term (and back to the risk of exposing a D man we'd prefer to keep).

Hit refresh, I added a thought as you replied.

Reactions: Dr Hook

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

If the Bruins can get a proven under 30 talent with a existing contract beyond the 21 season, ala a Rakell or a Forsber you do it. If your trading for a rental, I sure in the hell am not giving up a first.

If im blowing it up, its not a full blow -up, I'd see what I could get for all of the UFA and try to bring Tuukka and Kreech back at a reasonable cap hit.

But Im not letting the expansion draft scare me away from acquiring a proven-talent under 30, but he needs to be a true legit top 3-4 guy, after all that is what the bruins need and have needed for some-time, what scares me more and the reason I may not do a rental is the pandemic, unless the prices are at a bargain price do to the pandemic.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I'm guessing Studnicka is on the block since he's been out of the lineup so consistently. If I was betting today, I'd say he's the Bruins' "elite prospect" portion of the potential deal for Ekholm. Divver reported Nashville's assistant GM was at the Providence game yesterday so I think things must be pretty real on that front. I assume they'd be looking at Vaakanainen or Steen as the "third asset" they reportedly want, in addition to the 1st round pick.

I'm torn on whether it's a good idea or not. I like Studnicka a lot but I haven't seen enough offense from him to say he's a surefire top six guy. I'd take what I can get for Vaak at this point, this year has soured me on him big time. I'd have no problem giving him up in the deal. I'd prefer to keep Steen over him at this point. The 1st I think has way less value than in a normal year. I think this draft will be an absolute crap shoot with the number of players not playing and the difficulty scouting in person, so I don't think there will be much of a difference between a mid to late 1st and a 2nd.

Basically the value seems okay to me (I think we overrate our own prospects greatly), I just question if that's the right direction. Ekholm is a stud with a lot of gas left in the tank and I think he would improve the team significantly but are they close enough to the top teams that he puts them in that tier? I don't think so but anything can happen in the playoffs. And you have to wonder about how that affects their strategy at the expansion draft, they're losing a good player there one way or another though.

Will be interesting to see what happens. I definitely think Sweeney is getting some heat from above so he'll try to do something to improve the team now, I'm just not sure he has the prospects to really move the needle for other teams if he's trying to land a big fish. Winnipeg or Montreal could probably beat Sweeney's best offer pretty easily, if they so chose.

Reactions: bbfan419 and TCB

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
This team is not proving to me it can contend with the best in the league. I'm not sure they can get out of their division yet challenge for a cup.
If I'm a GM I am taking a step back to protect assets for expansion and casually looking at GM inquiries and make some due diligence ones of my own.
But I am not pushing to add to sell.

I don't see this team being a player or two away from beating Tampa. I also don't see this team ready to be torn down just yet.

Reactions: veganbruin

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017

I think that may be the best plan. Just protect Mac, Carlo and Lauzon on dee. They really only need to fill in a partner for Carlo. We have enough bottom pair guys laying around.

Protect the perfection line and Coyle, then chose between Frederic and Ritchie as the 5th forward. I take T Fred.

That would leave them 2 spots for new guys to be protected, prefer to get a RW like Palmieri or Garland and a Center/LW like Reinhart or Granlund, to take over for Krech next year.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think that may be the best plan. Just protect Mac, Carlo and Lauzon on dee. They really only need to fill in a partner for Carlo. We have enough bottom pair guys laying around.

Protect the perfection line and Coyle, then chose between Frederic and Ritchie as the 5th forward.

That would leave them 2 spots for new guys to be protected, prefer to get a RW like Palmieri or Garland and a Center/LW like Reinhart or Granlund, to take over for Krech next year.

That is probably likely especially if they make a move for a guy that has term- I feel a little cynical that it will happen, though. My faith in the Don, even while I generally think he's done a decent job, in this area is not real strong. I am even more skeptical that Don will get TWO players like that. I also would bet just about anything (hypothetically) that if it gets down to it, Gryz gets protected over Lauzon every time.

If it were me, today, I'd protect 8 skaters and protect 4 D men- McAvoy, Carlo, Gryz and Lauzon and let Seattle have at Ritchie, Zboril, Frederic. Best scenario, you get Seattle to take Bjork or Wagner and toss them a second rounder and maybe Cehlarik's rights to do that.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
No thanks on Hall. Felger said that he was told by a former teammate of Hall's (likely Ryan Whitney) that he was the worst teammate he ever had.

I'm still convinced that Sweeney will make a big move, I just don't see it being Hall.
To be fair, Felger is a putz and Ryan Whitney isn’t exactly the guy I’d be asking about locker room vibes. Ever listen to Whitney on spittin’ chiclets?

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
That is probably likely especially if they make a move for a guy that has term- I feel a little cynical that it will happen, though. My faith in the Don, even while I generally think he's done a decent job, in this area is not real strong. I am even more skeptical that Don will get TWO players like that. I also would bet just about anything (hypothetically) that if it gets down to it, Gryz gets protected over Lauzon every time.

If it were me, today, I'd protect 8 skaters and protect 4 D men- McAvoy, Carlo, Gryz and Lauzon and let Seattle have at Ritchie, Zboril, Frederic. Best scenario, you get Seattle to take Bjork or Wagner and toss them a second rounder and maybe Cehlarik's rights to do that.

That is closer to reality and solidifies the top 4 dee going forward. I would love a 2nd line next year of Garland, Reinhart and Lauko. Let Krech go, 5 on 5 he seems like his best days are done. Ritchie and Smith a 3rd liners due to inconsistency.

Maybe Seattle takes DeBrusk and leaves Zboril, Smith and Ritchie. I really think Lauko can bring exactly what Jake has done without missing a beat.

Anyway we slice it they need to get younger down the middle and inhouse we do not have a guy for that yet. Time to forget building around Krech and build a new core 2nd line.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

How easy will it be to get a sensible deal out of Seattle? I don't think it's easy at all.

Because they hold the hammer in any negotiation, because one way or the other, they will acquire a quality player off your roster. So by definition given the strength Seattle holds in any negotiations with other teams, other teams will have to overpay to keep the guys they want or accomplish something else like a cap dump. They already saw what Vegas did to hood-wink the likes of Anaheim and Minnesota who totally overthought the entire process and got burned.

Say Sweeney wanted to expose Gryz but keep Seattle from choosing him. If I'm Seattle, I'm looking at the next more desirable player (lets use Frederic for example) and saying "OK, I'll take Frederic instead of Gryz if you give me a 1st rounder".

Assets like mid-round picks, or guys like Bjork/Wagner/etc. or prospects like Cehlarik I don't think even makes the Seattle group flinch. They can see the Bruins have a decent amount of depth and if say Francis wants Gryz but is willing to pass on him, then the compensation will still be something fairly valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad