Boston Bruins IV-Rumors, Trade Proposals, Speculation, etc.. (rumors must have recognized source/link)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
I’ll take Palmieri as a pure rental...checks a lot of boxes. Don’t think I want to give him a long term contract at this point.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Man o man does that Backes trade look bad in retrospect. Losing a 1st and a decent prospect to make cap space that we decided not to use. . .

Hoping the best for Kase, but more for his quality of life than for what he could/would be able to provide Boston on the ice

Not using the cap space, with the quality of this team and the age of the corps, is unforgivable. There's still time of course, but man if DS lets that go to waste he should be crucified for it.

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin
One of the things about being a fan is that other team's players always appear to better than what we have. So we go out and clamor to get player X, or player Y but that player is not necessarily going to be any better than what we have already. Many here wanted Palmieri (as an example not a shot at anyone), but Sweeney got Craig Smith instead. We can't know, but Smith looks like a really good fit for the Bruins even though he isn't quite as productive. Maybe they circle around to Palmieri again- I would not mind. But there are lot of names tossed out in threads like these and there's not guarantees that they do better than what is going the other way or getting benched.
Palmieri is under contract. Smith was a FA. We wanted Palmieri at the TDL last year, but the price was high.

I liked the Smith signing and he's a good player. Good money and a good 3rd line winger. I think we all wanted another signing to play on the 2nd line (Hoffman who has 6G 8A 14 pts in 19 games or Toffoli 12G 5A 17 PTs in 19 games) and instead we got Greg McKegg who hasn't played once this year.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Palmieri is under contract. Smith was a FA. We wanted Palmieri at the TDL last year, but the price was high.

I liked the Smith signing and he's a good player. Good money and a good 3rd line winger. I think we all wanted another signing to play on the 2nd line (Hoffman who has 6G 8A 14 pts in 19 games or Toffoli 12G 5A 17 PTs in 19 games) and instead we got Greg McKegg who hasn't played once this year.

It was just an example as to how things go. Greg McKegg, bleh, I know. Now if Jake was rookie or Sophomore Jake with the way Ritchie is playing, it would have worked out okay. I think Bruins do need to add a second line wing.

Reactions: Scruffy and Gordoff

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I’ll take Palmieri as a pure rental...checks a lot of boxes. Don’t think I want to give him a long term contract at this point.
I don't want to give up anything for a rental at this point.

We don't win, and it's assets down the drain, like every year we give up assets for rentals.

Reactions: Gordoff

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Man o man does that Backes trade look bad in retrospect. Losing a 1st and a decent prospect to make cap space that we decided not to use. . .

Hoping the best for Kase, but more for his quality of life than for what he could/would be able to provide Boston on the ice
I think you mean the Backes contract. It was a foolish signing to begin with as he was 32 and he was under 50 points his last year in STL. I can't help but wonder if it was a Jacobs/Neely driven signing. Two straight years of no playoff revenue, so go sign one of the biggest names in free agency. They should've sold Soderberg and Eriksson at the 15 and 16 deadlines and not pressured Chiarelli and Sweeney, respectively, to make the playoffs. Neither of those teams, especially the 15-16 team, were going to do anything in the playoffs and instead we wasted assets.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I actually think there's a chance that his contract won't be as bad as some people think it will be.

Toffoli got 4 Years at $4.25M per year.
In the last 5 years before he hit the market, Toffoli averaged 23-24-47 per 82 games.

Including this current season, Palmieri has averaged 29-27-56 per 82 games over the last 5 years before he hit the market

That's not a HUGE difference. I could very well see him getting 5-6 years at $5-5.25M per year. I would be on board with that extension.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I wonder if LA is interested in any of our LD?

I would rather trade Lauzon/Gryz/Zboril to LA for protected assets(Prospects/picks) than lose one for free to Seattle.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder if LA is interested in any of our LD?

I would rather trade Lauzon/Gryz/Zboril to LA for protected assets(Prospects/picks) than lose one for free to Seattle.

How does that prevent losing assets for nothing. Say you trade Gryz to LA, then protect Lauzon, then Seattle takes Zboril. For Free.

Anyways I don't see how trading a D-man for futures during the season is a smart move for a team who envisions itself a cup contender.

Reactions: HustleB

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
I actually think there's a chance that his contract won't be as bad as some people think it will be.

Toffoli got 4 Years at $4.25M per year.
In the last 5 years before he hit the market, Toffoli averaged 23-24-47 per 82 games.

Including this current season, Palmieri has averaged 29-27-56 per 82 games over the last 5 years before he hit the market

That's not a HUGE difference. I could very well see him getting 5-6 years at $5-5.25M per year. I would be on board with that extension.

Players numbers typically seem to start going down around age 32-35. With the unknown at center (whether we re-sign 35+ year old Krejci or go with youth), I'd be hard pressed to invest that many years into him at that price. Wouldn't be the WORST move, but buyer beware, most 30+ year old UFA signings haven't been kind to many teams in the league. And the Bruins should already know how that feels. I understand this may be his last big pay day, but a 3-4 year deal seems a lot safer.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I think you mean the Backes contract. It was a foolish signing to begin with as he was 32 and he was under 50 points his last year in STL. I can't help but wonder if it was a Jacobs/Neely driven signing. Two straight years of no playoff revenue, so go sign one of the biggest names in free agency. They should've sold Soderberg and Eriksson at the 15 and 16 deadlines and not pressured Chiarelli and Sweeney, respectively, to make the playoffs. Neither of those teams, especially the 15-16 team, were going to do anything in the playoffs and instead we wasted assets.
Team improved its results every year he was on it, just sayin.

But no, I meant the trade.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Team improved its results every year he was on it, just sayin.

But no, I meant the trade.
On top of that, we are still paying him now.

The fact we didn't use cap space, we could have just buried him in the minors this season with the same effect. I understand the politics of not burying a vet like Backes, but the Ducks did just that. Just because the Bruins signed him, we should/could have just don't the same.

Water under the bridge I suppose. A first and decent prospect for about 3M cap space which we haven't taken advantage of and a player we may not even qualify at this stage (not his fault, but just the truth)

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
On top of that, we are still paying him now.

The fact we didn't use cap space, we could have just buried him in the minors this season with the same effect. I understand the politics of not burying a vet like Backes, but the Ducks did just that. Just because the Bruins signed him, we should/could have just don't the same.

Water under the bridge I suppose. A first and decent prospect for about 3M cap space which we haven't taken advantage of and a player we may not even qualify at this stage (not his fault, but just the truth)

The team didn't use the space right then, but maybe it's paying off now. The Bruins are one of the best positioned teams in the NHL with cap space. Had they used that space to land any of the players we were talking about at the TDL over the summer, like Hall or OEL, it would look a lot different now without no way to know whether those guys would have been worth it. The real kick in the nuts for me with that deal is Kase's broken coconut. If that had not happened, that move would look a lot better right now.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Heinen for Ritchie is robbery.

Backes cap situation had to be addressed. We avoided a buyout which would hurt us this upcoming offseason.

Kase might be toast with the concussions. But you still have a very cheap cost controlled player who has proven top 6 NHL skill. That beats a busted late 1st rounder who will spend 4 years in NCAA hockey and then go on to not score in the AHL.

Reactions: bbfan419

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Heinen for Ritchie is robbery.

Backes cap situation had to be addressed. We avoided a buyout which would hurt us this upcoming offseason.

Kase might be toast with the concussions. But you still have a very cheap cost controlled player who has proven top 6 NHL skill. That beats a busted late 1st rounder who will spend 4 years in NCAA hockey and then go on to not score in the AHL.

What? We traded Axel Andersson as part of that deal, 2nd rounder out of Sweden. I agree with your post about the Backes situation- it needed to be dealt with, but I didn't understand this last part.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

It looked bad even at the time.

A first for $900k in cap space and then we didn’t even use that.

Ritchie for Heinen looks like a god damn steal though.

Last edited:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
The team didn't use the space right then, but maybe it's paying off now. The Bruins are one of the best positioned teams in the NHL with cap space. Had they used that space to land any of the players we were talking about at the TDL over the summer, like Hall or OEL, it would look a lot different now without no way to know whether those guys would have been worth it. The real kick in the nuts for me with that deal is Kase's broken coconut. If that had not happened, that move would look a lot better right now.

It looked bad even at the time.

A first for $900k in cap space and then we didn’t even use that.

Ritchie for Heiden looks like a god damn steal though.

I fully agree, but it is what it is. Assets and cap space basically turned into nothing. Kind of the story of all the assets we've burned the past 5 seasons. With the exception of moving out Donato for Coyle, I don't see rosters on this team are examples of us using our assets effectively. Given some things (like Kase's concussion issues), are not in our control, it's just stands out when he's the 3rd best thing we have to show for 5 years of deals at deadlines on the roster. *forgot about Ritchie.

Reactions: Gordoff and Dr Hook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad