Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What’s nice about our search is that if the finalists are the ones that Friedman has thrown out there, I’m fine with any one of them as our next GM. So if one says they’re waiting on Toronto, they can offer it to the next one and I’d be fine with it.
Certainly a better pool than when we hired Hextall. Or JR for that matter.

Reactions: Turin

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
I wonder if FSG reached out and offered Dubas more power and more money through his agent. So his agent took that framework back to the Leafs and they soured on it at that point.

Feels like things changed after his presser for sure, according to Shannans time line.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
To me, it seems like the power struggle was real, and there was never going to be a compromise. It was one or the other and Shanahan won the battle.

Reactions: Andy99

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I don't know if anyone comes out looking good here.

Dubas is the youngest GM in the league, and his apparent waffling on whether he was coming back comes off as a bit immature.

Shanahan's press conference where he goes into so much detail about the whole situation, in a way that make Dubas look bad, was probably unnecessary. Usually you'd just provide some generic platitudes: "we felt it was time for a change", "we had different visions for the future of this team" and move on.

Reactions: Jacob

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know if anyone comes out looking good here.

Dubas is the youngest GM in the league, and his apparent waffling on whether he was coming back comes off as a bit immature.

Shanahan's press conference where he goes into so much detail about the whole situation, in a way that make Dubas look bad, was probably unnecessary. Usually you'd just provide some generic platitudes: "we felt it was time for a change", "we had different visions for the future of this team" and move on.
Yeah it just forces Dubas to now give his side of events.. and they’ll probably go back and forth in the media for a while. And with no direct communication things will sit and stew in their minds.

If I were Dubas I would try to not play that game and move on.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sounds like Dubas also wanted full autonomy over moves so Shanahan probably didnt like that
Shanahan looks like a jackass for firing Dubas for asking for a raise.
Shanahan's always come across as a bit of a prick to me.

And yeah, if Dubas did want more autonomy that probably also rubbed Shanahan the wrong way because he strikes me as someone who wants complete control over stuff and doesn't want his subordinates making decisions without him, even if that's technically their job.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Friedman and Marek talked about Dubas, of course, including the possibility of Pittsburgh. Friedman said he believes the Pens are pretty far down the road and that Dubas may not be able to jump in at this stage, but that Dubas could reconsider his statement from earlier this week and be open to new possibilities. Marek points out that if Dubas tries to jump in the Pens search, FSG's large portfolio of teams and the ability to connect with other sports could be what helps attract him.

Later, they talk specifically about the Pens. Friedman said Jason Botterill interviewed this week (Thursday). He said he has people warning him not to guess on possible structure of the front office. Everyone has expected President of Hockey Ops/General Manager tandem, but people are warning him it may not look exactly like that. Botterill's candidacy and fit may depend on the overall structure.

Darche, Tulsky, Greeley, Karmanos, MacKinnon were mentioned as candidates, but Friedman didn't specify which had moved on. He believes whoever is left standing definitely interviewed in-person this week, as well. Friedman doesn't have a good handle on Chayka other than that they met.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's a given but I'm really glad the Penguins are interviewing assistant GMs that haven't been GMs yet instead of just going with retreads. They did the same exact thing when they hired Shero back in 2006 and it was a fantastic hire.

Just keep all of the old boys club guys out of here. A Chyaka POHO and Tulsky as GM setup sounds like a wonderful setup.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Friedman and Marek talked about Dubas, of course, including the possibility of Pittsburgh. Friedman said he believes the Pens are pretty far down the road and that Dubas may not be able to jump in at this stage, but that Dubas could reconsider his statement from earlier this week and be open to new possibilities. Marek points out that if Dubas tries to jump in the Pens search, FSG's large portfolio of teams and the ability to connect with other sports could be what helps attract him.

Later, they talk specifically about the Pens. Friedman said Jason Botterill interviewed this week (Thursday). He said he has people warning him not to guess on possible structure of the front office. Everyone has expected President of Hockey Ops/General Manager tandem, but people are warning him it may not look exactly like that. Botterill's candidacy and fit may depend on the overall structure.

Darche, Tulsky, Greeley, Karmanos, MacKinnon were mentioned as candidates, but Friedman didn't specify which had moved on. He believes whoever is left standing definitely interviewed in-person this week, as well. Friedman doesn't have a good handle on Chayka other than that they met.

This is actually a really nice list. Shows the Pens GM job is certainly still attractive. As it should be, all of our big players are signed to really nice contracts, it's just offloading some overpaid chaff here and there. Smart cap guys with the backing of ownership should have no problem offloading some or all of that.

There's enough dinosaurs still running NHL teams that an analytics focused organization can certainly find gems here and there.

Reactions: Rave7215

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is anyone doing analytic amateur scouting and the like? Probably tough to find such data from 3rd world countries like Finland.

At least a drafting strategy that’s more data-driven than just like the scene in moneyball with the old scouts talking about smooth swings and ugly girlfriends.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
With Friedman mentioning that FSG will get creative with titles, I could see them making someone like Ventura the Director of analytics

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Is anyone doing analytic amateur scouting and the like? Probably tough to find such data from 3rd world countries like Finland.

At least a drafting strategy that’s more data-driven than just like the scene in moneyball with the old scouts talking about smooth swings and ugly girlfriends.
Yes, there are some public models out there. Here's an example from Byron Bader:

I imagine most NHL orgs worth their salt have private models that do this sort of thing.

Reactions: Jacob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad