Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's gonna rock when the new FO comes in and picks up right where JR and Hextall left off, making the f***ing dumbest possible decisions over and over again. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If the Pen's job is undesirable then what do you even label Calgary lol. That team is utterly f***ed and has Huberdeau/Kadri signed for eternity. Atleast the Pens are f***ed and have Crosby/Geno/Letang.

The Penguins have three Cups from this core, alone. I can't even remember the last time Calgary was relevant. And I'm old.

Look any job that pays you millions of dollars to participate in what is (in the end) a kid's game is pretty cush. I just don't think the Pittsburgh job is at the top of too many people's list. It isn't an insult... this team has just been horribly mismanaged for years, has a boatload of mediocre contracts (some flat out bad), an ancient core and like zero assets.

EDIT: Oh and the new guy's hands will be tied on at least one major issue from day 1. Meh. That alone will give some candidates pause.

Last edited:

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
If the Pen's job is undesirable then what do you even label Calgary lol. That team is utterly f***ed and has Huberdeau/Kadri signed for eternity. Atleast the Pens are f***ed and have Crosby/Geno/Letang.
And you’re only a couple years away from tearing it down and rebuilding with an ownership group with deep pockets. That will be desirable to some candidates.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The Penguins have three Cups from this core, alone. I can't even remember the last time Calgary was relevant. And I'm old.

Look any job that pays you millions of dollars to participate in what is (in the end) a kid's game is pretty cush. I just don't think the Pittsburgh job is at the top of too many people's list. It isn't an insult... this team has just been horribly mismanaged for years, has a boatload of mediocre contracts (some flat out bad), an ancient core and like zero assets.
I know you mentioned the "theres only 32 jobs" thing, but I genuinely think thats the only counter-argument needed here. We all know the NHL has an old boys club problem, new guys like Tulsky/Darche cant really afford to be picky with where they go. On average maybe 3 GM spots open up every year and are usually retreads or internal hires. Since 2021 there have been 8 GM hires and only 3 of them were new names. The rest were internal hires.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know you mentioned the "theres only 32 jobs" thing, but I genuinely think thats the only counter-argument needed here. We all know the NHL has an old boys club problem, new guys like Tulsky/Darche cant really afford to be picky with where they go. On average maybe 3 GM spots open up every year and are usually retreads or internal hires. Since 2021 there have been 8 GM hires and only 3 of them were new names. The rest were internal hires.

That's a solid point.

But watch the Penguins hire some thrice-recycled fossil, now.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
FSG should probably try to get this wrapped up soon but I wouldn’t worry if they offer, let’s say, Tulsky the job and he says no because he wants to wait on Toronto. As someone else said, they haven’t even come up with a list of candidates. I can’t see someone risking turning down a sure fire GM job for one that’s in their very early stage process of it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It doesn't really matter even like... a little bit. Competence is king and all.

But it WOULD be nice if the next GM didn't have the personality of a houseplant like the last guy.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Eh... I don't think any Penguins fans in any significant number have any Cup aspirations left at this point.

I just think people would like to see... oh I dunno... something that isn't a first round dick kick. I know that's a super tall order that even the dysfunctional mid to late 90s Penguins were able to manage many years. But we can dare to dream.
If firing the coach is off the table, then expect to see the same old same old lol

Reactions: Pens x

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
FSG should probably try to get this wrapped up soon but I wouldn’t worry if they offer, let’s say, Tulsky the job and he says no because he wants to wait on Toronto. As someone else said, they haven’t even come up with a list of candidates. I can’t see someone risking turning down a sure fire GM job for one that’s in their very early stage process of it.

I think it's pretty obvious they are trying to wrap it up soon. They are reportedly in the second wave of interviews.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

But it WOULD be nice if the next GM didn't have the personality of a houseplant like the last guy.
I actually think having personality should be part of the job description. After all, they need to negotiate with other human beings to accomplish almost all of their tasks. At least to excel at them.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I actually think having personality should be part of the job description. After all, they need to negotiate with other human beings to accomplish almost all of their tasks. At least to excel at them.

Hmmm. Fair point. I guess I just meant that even if the guy is an absolute gargoyle I won't care if the results are good. But establishing interpersonal and professional relationships is important for the job and personality doesn't hurt.

Reactions: MrBurghundy

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

Remember when Hextall was a mean, aggresive goaltender who would chase mulleted forwards down the ice for daring to look at him sideways?

How that guy became the meek, reclusive general manager who hid from the slobbery toads in the Penguins media is beyond me.

rho

May 30, 2011
They're third in terms of the worth of the assets (franchises) they own, not their total wealth.

FSG's owners are in the single digit billions of worth. Rogers and Bell who own MLSE are worth ten times that.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
They're third in terms of the worth of the assets (franchises) they own, not their total wealth.

FSG's owners are in the single digit billions of worth. Rogers and Bell who own MLSE are worth ten times that.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA No they are not. Ummm 2021 ????

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

EDIT: Oh and the new guy's hands will be tied on at least one major issue from day 1. Meh. That alone will give some candidates pause.
You guys keep saying stuff like this and no offense but I think you're being crazy.

There's only 32 NHL gm jobs. A lot of execs out there would be jumping at the opportunity to GM the friggin Coyotes, to say nothing of a team like us with a rich history and Sidney Crosby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad