Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I have to think the Penguins are a bit ahead of the Leafs in the process.

But the Leafs are undoubtedly gonna use this one cool trick they love called "throw an absolutely ungodly and for-nearly-all-other-teams-attainable amount of money and resources at it." We'll see what happens.

To reiterate I'm also not at all anywhere close to convinced that the Penguins job is seen as desirable. I mean... try to sell ME on it as an exercise. I think once you start going down the list of talking points for a potential candidate you'll see what I mean. The best thing you guys yourselves could come up with a couple weeks back was "there's only 32 of these jobs in existence!" Compelling.
FSG can lap them many times in money

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Toronto's got a shitload of money to throw at a GM, for sure, but godspeed to whoever's tasked with navigating that team's next couple of years in *that* sports media environment. :laugh:

Pittsburgh ain't rosy either with a team that hasn't seen the 2nd round since 2018, emperor Nero for a coach, and the second oldest (iirc) roster in the league, with a handful of guys 36 or older heading into next season and a mess of a supporting cast.

But I think any GM spot is pretty desirable, and a lot of relevant people would jump at either opportunity.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Toronto's got a shitload of money to throw at a GM, for sure, but godspeed to whoever's tasked with navigating that team's next couple of years in *that* sports media environment. :laugh:

Pittsburgh ain't rosy either with a team that hasn't seen the 2nd round since 2018, emperor Nero for a coach, and the second oldest (iirc) roster in the league, with a handful of guys 36 or older heading into next season and a mess of a supporting cast.

But I think any GM spot is pretty desirable, and a lot of relevant people would jump at either opportunity.

Probably. But I dunno. Money and power are still king but not for everyone. Some people care a lot about comfort and actually making a difference. Both seem in short supply in Pittsburgh these days. Whoever comes in here has a thankless job ahead of them.

I'm still holding out for my Triumvirate of Turds idea with Chia/Bergevin and Pierre McGuire, personally. We might as well laugh a lot the next couple seasons, yeah?

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Probably. But I dunno. Money and power are still king but not for everyone. Some people care a lot about comfort and actually making a difference. Both seem in short supply in Pittsburgh these days. Whoever comes in here has a thankless job ahead of them.

I'm still holding out for my Triumvirate of Turds idea with Chia/Bergevin and Pierre McGuire, personally. We might as well laugh a lot the next couple seasons, yeah?
I don't know how much FSG gives a shit about their hockey team just yet, but they have some serious coin between 'em if they want to chase their golden goose.

I'd say both jobs mentioned would be pretty thankless due to impossible expectations though. :laugh:

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I have to think the Penguins are a bit ahead of the Leafs in the process.

But the Leafs are undoubtedly gonna use this one cool trick they love called "throw an absolutely ungodly and for-nearly-all-other-teams-unattainable amount of money and resources at it." We'll see what happens.

To reiterate I'm also not at all anywhere close to convinced that the Penguins job is seen as desirable. I mean... try to sell ME on it as an exercise. I think once you start going down the list of talking points for a potential candidate you'll see what I mean. The best thing you guys yourselves could come up with a couple weeks back was "there's only 32 of these jobs in existence!" Compelling.
So Tulsky bails after finishing his 2nd interview here? Seems unlikely. That'd be super unprofessional. In his position, having never been a proper GM, that's dangerous for your reputation.
He'd be abandoning a potential lock here for a maybe with them. They haven't even started gathering candidates for their interviews yet. It's not like they'd promise him the job straight up without any process either. He'd need assurances to walk away.

If the Pens and Leafs were at the same starting point, I'd agree with you that he'd prioritize them. But it's too late now imo. It's in FSG's hands.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't know how much FSG gives a shit about their hockey team just yet, but they have some serious coin between 'em if they want to chase their golden goose.

I'd say both jobs mentioned would be pretty thankless due to impossible expectations though. :laugh:

Toronto is a pressure cooker for sure. I know I'd never want a job of any consequence, there.

It's one thing to expect someone to thrive under pressure. It's another for the rabid fanbase and loony tunes media to rip you for crazy shit after every single loss.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Toronto is a pressure cooker for sure. I know I'd never want a job of any consequence, there.

It's one thing to expect someone to thrive under pressure. It's another for the rabid fanbase and loony tunes media to rip you for crazy shit after every single loss.

"Welcome aboard. Good luck!" :laugh:

Though steering the ship for a Penguins team that's been circling the drain for half a decade, has like two years of Sidney Crosby left before an inevitable rebuild, and also has (absurd) Cup expectations is also El Stinko Grande.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So Tulsky bails after finishing his 2nd interview here? Seems unlikely. That'd be super unprofessional. In his position, having never been a proper GM, that's dangerous for your reputation.
He'd be abandoning a potential lock here for a maybe with them. They haven't even started gathering candidates for their interviews yet. It's not like they'd promise him the job straight up without any process either. He'd need assurances to walk away at this point imo.

If the Pens and Leafs were at the same starting point, I'd agree with you that he'd try there 1st. But it's too late now imo. It's in FSG's hands.

Maybe. Probably.

Just to be clear I'm largely ambivalent. I don't see the next GM making much of a difference with the parameters I expect to be set and the rather steep challenges presented, regardless. My only hope is they choose a f***ing lane and actually commit to it. As opposed to this wishy washy bullshit we've seen the last couple of seasons.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
FSG doesn't care about the hockey team they spent 900 million dollars on is my favorite take of Penguins fans.
zPI-GeGkPZLMmVp5.jpg

Theres lot of guy dont care. Dey pretend to care, but I know dey dont care.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

"Welcome aboard. Good luck!" :laugh:

Though steering the ship for a Penguins team that's been circling the drain for half a decade, has like two years of Sidney Crosby left before an inevitable rebuild, and also has (absurd) Cup expectations is also El Stinko Grande.

Eh... I don't think any Penguins fans in any significant number have any Cup aspirations left at this point.

I just think people would like to see... oh I dunno... something that isn't a first round dick kick. I know that's a super tall order that even the dysfunctional mid to late 90s Penguins were able to manage many years. But we can dare to dream.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The one (1) singular reason I wouldn't revile Bergevin is that there is a non-zero chance he would replace Sully with Therrien and I just think that'd be the funniest f***ing thing in the world. :laugh:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Eh... I don't think any Penguins fans in any significant number have any Cup aspirations left at this point.

I just think people would like to see... oh I dunno... something that isn't a first round dick kick. I know that's a super tall order that even the dysfunctional mid to late 90s Penguins were able to manage many years. But we can dare to dream.
Fans? Nah, probably not. Ownership? Maybe not realistically, but all they've said is that they're all in as long as Sid's here. Though that translates to keeping a coach around that's been a loser for years, and waiting to fire a dipshit GM who traded for Granlund with no salary retained, among other bungles.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Maybe. Probably.

Just to be clear I'm largely ambivalent. I don't see the next GM making much of a difference with the parameters I expect to be set and the rather steep challenges presented, regardless. My only hope is they choose a f***ing lane and actually commit to it. As opposed to this wishy washy bullshit we've seen the last couple of seasons.
Well, short of Jesus taking the job, there is no GM winning Cups here unless he's around for an extremely long time.
For Crosby's remaining years, it wouldn't matter if it's Chiarelli or the best candidate available. They'll lose either way, just at different points, with different records.

The only real difference the next GM can make is wasting less time starting the rebuild, and overseeing the process better than another would. Or if this next GM is fired before they start the rebuild, it's important that he leaves the foundation to do the process properly for his successor.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well, short of Jesus taking the job, there is no GM winning Cups here unless he's around for an extremely long time.
For Crosby's remaining years, it wouldn't matter if it's Chiarelli or the best candidate available. They'll lose either way, just at different points, with different records.

The only real difference the next GM can make is wasting less time starting the rebuild, and overseeing the process better than another would. Or if this next GM is fired before they start the rebuild, it's important that he leaves the foundation to do the process properly for his successor.

Yeah but I'm not even talking about winning Cups. I just want to see them TRY for a change.

I just think we'll largely see the same old conservative, nibbling-around-the-edges approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad