Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSGDontScrewUp

Apr 25, 2023
Everyone in the media is now saying we are going to hire an ex-GM. I hope we don't miss our chance to find a new voice. If we get an ex-GM, I hope we get an outsider as AGM.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If they are going to just recycle I suppose it could be worse than Botterill.

Am I the only one that wouldn't hate Treliving if that's the route they go? I mean I'd prefer they think a little outside the box instead but if they are gonna go old boy's club I mean...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Anyone catch Seravelli saying only coach with more power in the league than Sullivan is Torts.

No way. Mike Sullivan is a good soldier without a hint of ego on him! I'm sure he has no input on anything on this team above his station. Just like he has no input on the roster at all because that's definitely not one of the dumbest things I've ever heard Penguins fans say with stunning regularity.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Anyone catch Seravelli saying only coach with more power in the league than Sullivan is Torts.

I wonder how @DesertedPenguin will spin this one…

I think some of what Seravalli said is on the nose, especially regarding the contract. Even deep pocketed owners are going to be hesitant to fire someone with that rich and long of a contract.

I think some of the other stuff is inaccurate. Obviously Seravalli is an NHL journalist and I'm a schlub on a message board, but I think Jon Cooper has immense power in Tampa. I think Jared Bednar is an integral part of Colorado's management team, too.

I also think the Boston stuff is nonsense. Yes, FSG is based in Boston. But they're not Bostonians. John W. Henry is an Illinois native who grew up a St. Louis Cardinals fans. He first owned the Florida Marlins. Tom Werner was born in New York City and first owned the San Diego Padres.

They're tied to Boston because The Red Sox were for sale and became their first major property as Fenway Sports Group. That's all.

Finally, I have no problem firing Mike Sullivan if the Penguins fail to improve this year or flame out in the first round again. He's made mistakes. I just think the larger issues have been roster construction and management, where Sullivan is just one voice and does not have final say, not player usage or on-ice systems.

Reactions: Turin

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

I wonder how @DesertedPenguin will spin this one…

JFC

If that's the case you could bring back prime 66 and this team still doesn't win shit. Not even being hyperbolic. Sullivan is absolute dog shit and has been for 3 calendar years. I might buy a ticket or 2 this year just to boo him... Actually I'll just do what I did this past season and only watch 30% of the games. Pointless.

People saying "give until Christmas" or "one time and he gets it!" are being extra annoying. Why does 6 straight YEARS of failure not count?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
JFC

If that's the case you could bring back prime 66 and this team still doesn't win shit. Not even being hyperbolic. Sullivan is absolute dog shit and has been for 3 calendar years. I might buy a ticket or 2 this year just to boo him... Actually I'll just do what I did this past season and only watch 30% of the games. Pointless.

People saying "give until Christmas" or "one time and he gets it!" are being extra annoying. Why does 6 straight YEARS of failure not count?

Standards are on a sliding scale in Pittsburgh when it comes to coaches.

EDIT: Alright even I'm tired of complaining about the guy at this point. Just have to hope he does better next season I guess.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
JFC

We like Ty. He’s a great player. We just feel Chad brings the things we need to be a competitive team in this league. Ty understands and trusts the proceed. We think he could be an elite defensemen here.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
you mean the same people who have no f***ing clue what FSG is doing ?
FSG doesn’t even know what they are doing. This is the first time you can’t criticize the local media for not knowing what these absentee owners are doing. The team is run right now by the guy that used to pick up Mayor Peduto’s dry cleaning and lunch.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Dubas seems unlikely to me simply because of the timeline. FSG is supposedly winding down the first round of interviews. Unless they really don't like anyone they're interviewing I'm not sure I can see them waiting on Dubas. Let's say Toronto gets eliminated tonight. Even if they do, it probably takes a week or two before they decide on Dubas.

How long is FSG gonna wait? They'd have to be really sold on Dubas - before even interviewing him - to want to do that.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Dubas seems unlikely to me simply because of the timeline. FSG is supposedly winding down the first round of interviews. Unless they really don't like anyone they're interviewing I'm not sure I can see them waiting on Dubas. Let's say Toronto gets eliminated tonight. Even if they do, it probably takes a week or two before they decide on Dubas.

How long is FSG gonna wait? They'd have to be really sold on Dubas - before even interviewing him - to want to do that.
FWIW Friedman said on 32T today that FSG wants this done in the next week or two.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Which would line up with what @Pancakes is saying...

If Friedman is right and they want it done soon, then it's going to be candidates they've talked to, not someone who hasn't been available.

Friedman said it would be a tiered hiring approach. I’m not sure he was saying that we’d have a GM in a week or two.

But I was listening in the shower so maybe I was wrong.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Yeah I don't think they're gonna wait on him. Supposedly the first round of interviews are done. You just have to hope Tulsky was in the mix. We've only heard like 5 confirmed names out of an "extensive list", and he wasn't one of them.

Reactions: Pancakes

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Is there even a confirmed list? By someone credible? In this instance, I think Friedman is more or less just keeping the ducks fed with tidbits than speaking about anything concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad