Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Reactions: Giskard and Andy99

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Very curious as to how Botterill would do here. His time in Buffalo wasn’t great but was that him or the environment? Wouldn’t be opposed to that hire.
Can anybody write something that has some facts behind it ? instead of just using what everyone else has written ???

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Keefe has brought innovative ideas to how to run offense in the offensive zone, and Keefe's Toronto teams do a pretty good job of clogging up the front of their own net and not allowing a bunch of rebounds. Two things I think could really help the Pens.

Not sure how much I'd blame him for his stars choking all the time, before anyone chimes in about Toronto's playoff record under him. Then again he's won more series than Sullivan since he's come into the league, so it's not like the bar is high for him here.

It's actually mind boggling how bad they've been in all those areas. You could probably hire an intern to just browse through draft previews and select players and come away with a similar (or even better) result than what we've got.
Good points about Keefe’s regular seasons in Toronto, but he gets routinely outcoached in the playoffs, most recently by Paul Maurice.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Keefe has brought innovative ideas to how to run offense in the offensive zone, and Keefe's Toronto teams do a pretty good job of clogging up the front of their own net and not allowing a bunch of rebounds. Two things I think could really help the Pens.

Not sure how much I'd blame him for his stars choking all the time, before anyone chimes in about Toronto's playoff record under him. Then again he's won more series than Sullivan since he's come into the league, so it's not like the bar is high for him here.

It's actually mind boggling how bad they've been in all those areas. You could probably hire an intern to just browse through draft previews and select players and come away with a similar (or even better) result than what we've got.
Keefe has won one playoff series in four years. If the argument is that Sullivan hasn't won enough series the last few years given the talent he has had to work with, does that not apply to Keefe?

I'll even grant you the argument that Toronto's elite players are mentally soft and should get some of the blame for choking. But if the results matter for Sullivan, shouldn't Keefe - or any other prospective coach - be held to the same standard?

Well at least Bowman isn’t on this list of names lol…

Some new reporting, at least, though much is still unknown. I'd assume candidates like Chayka or Bergevin would be for President of Hockey Ops while Darche or Martin would be for GM.

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Keefe has won one playoff series in four years. If the argument is that Sullivan hasn't won enough series the last few years given the talent he has had to work with, does that not apply to Keefe?

I'll even grant you the argument that Toronto's elite players are mentally soft and should get some of the blame for choking. But if the results matter for Sullivan, shouldn't Keefe - or any other prospective coach - be held to the same standard?

One is greater than zero. Sullivan has gone sweep, 1-3, 2-4, 3-4 (blown 3-1 lead) and missed entirely in five tries. If Keefe retains his job after another faceplant then yeah maybe he can start keeping company with what a huge loser latter-day Mike Sullivan is.

But he'll be fired. Because that's what sane teams do after so much wallowing around in abject mediocrity while higher standards still apply.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
"Hey... know who hasn't gotten a fair shake at a job in way too long... Eddie O!"

Said nobody except the f***ing Flyers ever.

P'ZONE!

EDIT: Maybe the best part is that if you're a Flyers fan you're like "SERIOUSLY... Ed Olczyk?!? Alright well who is the other guy in the running at least? ...oh. f***ing terrific."

Also I feel like maybe at this point I shouldn't laugh TOO loud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Team President is like the big picture guy in the room and the face to the media. Finding someone that’s media-savvy and even well-connected seems ideal to me.

Jones or Olczyk won’t be working out contract details or drafting players, they’ll just be the ones announcing the picks and signings. Seems fine to me.

So much of this is media relations and marketing. Especially in that market where the fans can turn on you quickly.

After hearing some stuff about Jones’ playing days I like him. One thing I recall was how as a teammate he recognized the team wasn’t giving Lindros proper treatment for an injury and forced him to get another opinion, potentially saving his life. Collapsed lung or something, they were going to make him fly in a plane which could’ve killed him?

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is like the cherry on top of the Bruins and Rags choke jobs. Until our GM hire, that is.
Speaking of our GM hire, no one good is going to get that job if this Mark Madden quote is true: “Sullivan is liked by FSG, signed through 2027 and will have more power than whoever the next GM is.” …Vomit

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Speaking of our GM hire, no one good is going to get that job if this Mark Madden quote is true: “Sullivan is liked by FSG, signed through 2027 and will have more power than whoever the next GM is.” …Vomit

Ryan Ryan Ryan, Flounder knows what is going on with FSG the same amount that he can see his dick

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'm not using Keefe's playoff success (one series win) as some sort of argument that he's awesome when it counts. I'm bringing it up ahead of time before someone uses it as a negative to highlight that he's won more than Sullivan has since Keefe entered the league.

In any case, the general point is Keefe at least tries new things offensively. He emphasized puck possession over dump and chase when he took over to take advantage of their roster, since Babcock had them doing a lot more dump and chase and dumping it in deep instead of regrouping in the neutral zone with possession. He also was one of the first to often utilize the high forward dropping back to the point on cycles so that it caused defenses to have to spread out their defensive box instead of just keeping all forwards in deep, allowing the opposition to just clog up the front of the net.

I think this team could use someone who will try *SOMETHING* other than Sullivan's approach or bringing in a dinosaur coach who'll just bring in their system that worked in 2002 because that's all they know.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t like Keefe. On a personal level. He apparently still had some kind of relationship with that Frost freak when he was a juniors coach.

Wonder if Jon Cooper could, maybe not here and maybe not now, be a good GM. Legal background and success everywhere he’s been. Comfortable in the spotlight. Good salesman.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
The draft isn't until June 29th. The Pens have plenty of time to find a gm.
Agreed but there's work to be done so getting a plan early is better than running everything last min up until the deadline.

I'd imagine many of that is coming in the rumored interviews, questions, "what would you do put this team in position to compete now? Etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad