Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
This last part is literally just the same list of candidates that Elliotte Friedman speculated about a few days ago.

The cycle of speculation to rumor is even shorter when sites like TIOPS get involved.
Exactly, and Friedman openly stated that it was speculation and not hard core fact that the Pens had interviewed those veteran GMs. But sites like TIOPS only care about clicks and not accuracy. They want to pretend they're in the know.

Reactions: Freeptop

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I'm pretty confident that Sullivan is a better coach than Keefe.

If the Pens hire Dubas I don't think there's any way it's with his junior/AHL/NHL coach. You can't be tied to one guy like that.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm pretty confident that Sullivan is a better coach than Keefe.
Better in 2023-24 for us? Old beaten horse vs the fresh start? Not so convinced of that after this season, where Sullivan coached very poorly.

Sullivan's already letting attachment dictate a lot of his decisions. A new coach doesn't have that problem for a while.

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
He's .678 so far in his coaching career. At this point I'm not even expecting playoffs, so if he'd get us in that'd be a pleasant surprise.
He'd not be one of my favorite candidates either, but we could do worse for sure.
I lost all respect for Keefe when he took back his criticism of his star players earlier this year. After a loss, he said the stars didn't play like stars. The he walked it back and said, “I used some of the wrong words to try to describe what I was trying to describe, which is that the difference in the game was just, we weren’t able to produce, whether it’s power play or five-on-five."

I'd rather have someone like Sullivan, who rarely criticizes any player in public, than someone who has such a weak hold on a team that he can't back up his comments.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sullivan is so damn stale. He’s three years beyond his shelf life. Give me pretty much anyone over Sully for this team. He has too much power for a coach.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
More defense of this coach from the usual crowd lol…like he has no say in roster construction

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Still hoping they nuke the scouting dept, pro and amateur, in the next calendar year. The guys they've targeted for trades and signings, as well as the guys they've targeted in the draft, have sucked for years. Time for a new set of eyes and a new focus.

So you are NOT in favor of continuing to employ the son of the fired AGM as the head of amateur scouting?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'll pass on Keefe.

He wouldn't make my Top 10 of candidates if the Pens move on from Sullivan.
Keefe has brought innovative ideas to how to run offense in the offensive zone, and Keefe's Toronto teams do a pretty good job of clogging up the front of their own net and not allowing a bunch of rebounds. Two things I think could really help the Pens.

Not sure how much I'd blame him for his stars choking all the time, before anyone chimes in about Toronto's playoff record under him. Then again he's won more series than Sullivan since he's come into the league, so it's not like the bar is high for him here.

Still hoping they nuke the scouting dept, pro and amateur, in the next calendar year. The guys they've targeted for trades and signings, as well as the guys they've targeted in the draft, have sucked for years. Time for a new set of eyes and a new focus.
It's actually mind boggling how bad they've been in all those areas. You could probably hire an intern to just browse through draft previews and select players and come away with a similar (or even better) result than what we've got.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Keefe has brought innovative ideas to how to run offense in the offensive zone, and Keefe's Toronto teams do a pretty good job of clogging up the front of their own net and not allowing a bunch of rebounds. Two things I think could really help the Pens.

Not sure how much I'd blame him for his stars choking all the time, before anyone chimes in about Toronto's playoff record under him. Then again he's won more series than Sullivan since he's come into the league, so it's not like the bar is high for him here.

It's actually mind boggling how bad they've been in all those areas. You could probably hire an intern to just browse through draft previews and select players and come away with a similar (or even better) result than what we've got.
Not only have the players targeted been shitty, they make no sense from the standpoint of trying to build an identity. :laugh: Unless the identity is vanilla, boring, zero specialization. Then they've really honed in on their type.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not only have the players targeted been shitty, they make no sense from the standpoint of trying to build an identity. :laugh: Unless the identity is vanilla, boring, zero specialization. Then they've really honed in on their type.
Other teams try to draft the next Crosby or the next McDavid or the next Makar, but we've decided to go a different route and focus all our energy on drafting the next Nick Spaling and the next Chad Ruhwedel.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Other teams try to draft the next Crosby or the next McDavid or the next Makar, but we've decided to go a different route and focus all our energy on drafting the next Nick Spaling and the next Chad Ruhwedel.
Hey, at least Broz is a dollar store Sheary. Sorry, Broz is 6' 180, Sheary's only 5'9 and 180. So Broz is actually less stocky than the notably tanky Conor Sheary. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad